Windows 10: I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done?

Discus and support I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Things say OneDrive backs up your files, but it appears to me that you're files end up in the cloud in OneDrive and thus all you ever see on your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Buddy1959, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Buddy1959 Win User

I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done?

Things say OneDrive backs up your files, but it appears to me that you're files end up in the cloud in OneDrive and thus all you ever see on your laptop are copies. I want the originals to live on my laptop and I only want to use OneDrive as a backup copy. Is my understanding correct that OneDrive takes your files? Is there a way to utilize OneDrive as a backup instead?

:)

Buddy1959, Dec 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 8, 2020
  3. S.D.K Win User
    File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Dec 8, 2020
  4. temp02 Win User

I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done?

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

1. I want OneDrive as backup copy, not as the depository for my files ... can that be done? - Similar Threads - OneDrive backup copy

2. How do I copy files from onedrive to my computer so that I can delete onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I copy files from onedrive to my computer so that I can delete onedrive: I am unhappy that my PC is saving items to OneDrive. I want to download all of my things from Onedrive to my computer and then remove OneDrive. How do I accomplish this?...
  3. How do I copy files from onedrive to my computer so that I can delete onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I copy files from onedrive to my computer so that I can delete onedrive: I am unhappy that my PC is saving items to OneDrive. I want to download all of my things from Onedrive to my computer and then remove OneDrive. How do I accomplish this?...
  4. can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from...: can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from ondrive but leave on my comp one drive will not auto delete from my comp...
  5. can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from...: can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from ondrive but leave on my comp one drive will not auto delete from my comp...
  6. can i manually save files to onedrive as a backup so that if i want to delete file from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Backup to Onedrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Backup to Onedrive: I see Windows has backup to Onedrive, but I don't see a scheduler. Is there a built in scheduler for Windows Backup? Thanks, Dennis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-backup-to-onedrive/6023d0f3-2678-4b7b-a10f-af70ed7ad592
  8. Why can I not just copy my entire OneDrive to a disc for backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I not just copy my entire OneDrive to a disc for backup?: With Office365 Professional I have a 1TB OneDrive. I use that as my normal working environment and keep all my files here. My used storage on the OneDrive is at present 72,4GB. I would like to have a certain backup routine where I with some frequency make a copy of my...
  9. I do not want to BACKUP my files.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I do not want to BACKUP my files.: Every time I log-on I get a message that's not compatible with me, YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED MY BACKUP FOR A WHILE? I want to get rid of it? Regards, Jeff Gordon...
  10. Make a copy or Backup files of my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Make a copy or Backup files of my PC: Dear Sirs of MS Support Team and Community: After months of waiting the solution to get a Backup files and that, this possibility came at middle of March of 2019 now, shows up a new code error 0x8100002f with a warning that alert: some files has not been Backed up...