Windows 10: I Want The Sign-in Lock Screen To Show A Different Picture Each Day

Discus and support I Want The Sign-in Lock Screen To Show A Different Picture Each Day in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I first installed WinX it showed a different picture each day in the "pre sign in" lock screen, either for a second or two or until I clicked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Airider, May 18, 2017.

1. Airider Win User

I Want The Sign-in Lock Screen To Show A Different Picture Each Day

When I first installed WinX it showed a different picture each day in the "pre sign in" lock screen, either for a second or two or until I clicked the sign-in spot. Since I am the administrator I don't have to use a password to sign in, and WinX seems to sometimes, but not always, recognize this and automatically bypasses the sign-in process and goes to the normal wallpaper background after a maybe 1 sec delay. I am using the latest version of Classic Shell and maybe this adds to the OS "confusion".

Since the last Windows Update some days ago (around 2.3 GB if I remember) it shows the SAME picture every day now. In the Personalization lock screen panel it shows:

Background
    Slideshow (I selected)
    Pictures
    "Get fun facts ..." Off
    Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen > On

and "Help" does not help

How can I get back the original set-up which changes the sign-in/lock screen picture to change each time or each day?

note: I will not use System Restore and have to reinstall the last update, as I am on a metered Internet access and limited to 1GB hi-speed Internet each day, without which my use of the Internet at 128 kb/sec is basically useless nowadays (as in, almost nothing works these days at that low speed)

:)

Airider, May 18, 2017
  2. Kathy2343 Win User

Windows 10 Sign-On Background Stuck

I changed the background image for my sign-on screen by selecting a picture in Settings/Personalization/Lock Screen. It worked great until I wanted to change the picture. Though the correct picture shows in the Preview in personalization, the system still
    shows the earlier picture, no matter what I select. I've even deleted every instance of the unwanted picture that I can find on the computer, but it's still there on the sign-in screen.

If I turn off "Show Windows background picture on the sign-in screen" the sign-in screen correctly shows a solid color background for my current theme. But as soon as I turn that setting back on, I'm back to the old picture.

Help! I'm stuck on a Valentine's Day picture that I didn't really like in the first place! I Want The Sign-in Lock Screen To Show A Different Picture Each Day :)

Kathy2343, May 18, 2017
  3. W10 Slow Ring 14342

HI all - so just on the slow ring and got myself 14342 build (hooray). First off, much better! Still want to play with loads but it'll have to wait for a day or 2. But my lock screen is causing issues.

If I restart, the image I want is on and on when I go to type in my password. But if I lock my screen (via lock from start menu or CTRL-ALT-DELETE), the lock screen itself is just black but when I click to
    put in my password, it's the image I want.

Gone to Personalise > Lock Screen and picked a different image. Same issue. The "Show lock screen background picture on sign-in screen" is on (which I want it to be) but when I turned it off, the image
    was on the lock screen (hooray) but not on the sign on screen (boo!).

Anyone else had this issue? I know it's only minor but it's the small things sometimes!

MarkTowler, May 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  5. Airider Win User
    I have now followed the links and tried everything, including the Winaero Tweaker and filling the Save Pictures and Camera Roll folders with downloaded pics from Windows. NO change.

Perhaps because Windows "sneaked in" version 1703 without my complete knowledge (I wasn't informed WHAT the "important update" was), there are still many uncorrected bugs* still in. For ex., Windows Update does NOT recognize Windows Updates it insists on that I have subsequently manually downloaded and installed, even though Windows Defender DOES! (I have to personally oversee large downloads because I am restricted to 1GB hi-speed Internet/day, a metered access)

Too bad, as I now have Camera Roll and Saved Pictures filled with come wonderful photos to use in the still non-functional lock scree /sign-in scree slideshow. For reference I can manually click and get WinX v. 1703 to run a slideshow (not in lock or sin-in screen) from those two files

*my ex-wife was a code-writing Group Leader in Testing at MS Redmond and the running joke was "it's a Design Feature", also used in a friendly way, she said, to refer to some female co-worker's let's say "oversize butt", etc. [bit of MS humor]

Airider, May 20, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    That's Spotlight. (Settings, search for Lock Screen, and use the drop down arrow to select Spotlight)

Note: as you have Win 10 Pro, you could have set an option to defer feature updates, which would have prevented the CU downloading, but still given you updates for the AU. That's been a widely documented option.

I also use Winaero's tweaker (as a convenience) to to set the group policy to 'notify'. Thus I choose when I download updates.

So I'm holding off on the CU while MS issues fixes as usual for 3 months, and because a GUI utility I like won't be compatible for about 3 months, probably.

dalchina, May 20, 2017
  7. Airider Win User
    New info:

Now I find that when the computer restarts from sleep or from a shutdown forced by pushing the on/off button (HP 840 G2) .... it makes a slideshow with the pics I now put in Saved Pictures and Camera Roll as a lock screen which stays till I click on it and THEN goes to the non-slideshow sign-in page fixed pic (not in MY files!) that it has been using since the v. 1703 Update some days ago before which it DID show a slideshow on the sign-in page with NO lock screen before it!

Airider, May 20, 2017
  8. Airider Win User

I may have found what is going on in Version 1703 here >

When I start up the computer it shows a single Microsoft-chosen picture as the background against "Welcome User" for maybe 3 seconds. Then Desktop shows. And waking up from sleep mode is shows that SAME pic for 10 or 15 seconds, THEN goes into the slideshow from the folders I loaded, without further including that first MS-chosen photo, in a continuous randomly shuffled loop with the same 10 - 15 sec. picture duration until I click on the pic. NOW "User" is asked to sign in, but as administrator with no password needed, I just click on the sing-in box, and then Desktop

So the slideshow file I have chosen does not have a chance to start before Desktop shows. And the MS-chosen pic is used each time instead of my slideshow.

B
    U
    G

1. How can that MS pic be eliminated?

2. and simply show a different pic from my file each time I start up?

Airider, May 21, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Have you eliminated the login screen?

But then you say
    I'll have to leave this for someone running the CU- I still have the AU. Good luck!

dalchina, May 21, 2017
  10. Airider Win User
    I think the problem may be solved, but will wait a few days before I am sure:

It turns out that so far (before fixes) V. 1703/CU that Spotlight can only be accessed when "eaking up" from the SLEEP mode, then it asks, "Do you like what you see?" [Y/N], and then asked to sign-in (sign-in psge comes now only from SLEEP mode), which only req. a click from admin., me .

Spotlight is now back on, but I when I first start up (without being asked to sign in, as admin.), every day since the problem, every re-start, the pic was locked on some ugly fish (from Spotlight), i was not asked if I liked the pic and I assumed that Spotlight was non-functional after CU.

So again, Spotlight pic choices can so far now only be accessed when "awakening" from SLEEP mode with un-fixed CU/ 1703

Airider, May 21, 2017
  11. Airider Win User
    so far, so good: picture in lock screen & (same pic) in sign.in screen changes daily, but "Do you like what you see?" choice only comes on sign-in screen which only comes when "awakening" from sleep mode

Airider, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I Want The Sign-in Lock Screen To Show A Different Picture Each Day - Similar Threads - Sign Lock Screen

2. Show different Theme pictures on each monitor sometimes does, sometimes keeps them locked,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show different Theme pictures on each monitor sometimes does, sometimes keeps them locked,...: For about the past year or more, each of my 3 monitors showed a random picture from the currently active Theme I installed from the MS Store. Sometimes 2 of the monitors would have the same image, just by random luck, but generally, each monitor had it's own separate image. I...
  3. Show different Theme pictures on each monitor sometimes does, sometimes keeps them locked,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show different Theme pictures on each monitor sometimes does, sometimes keeps them locked,...: For about the past year or more, each of my 3 monitors showed a random picture from the currently active Theme I installed from the MS Store. Sometimes 2 of the monitors would have the same image, just by random luck, but generally, each monitor had it's own separate image. I...
  4. Lock Screen background picture on sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen background picture on sign in: Is there a way to focus background picture on sign in ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-background-picture-on-sign-in/b49422bc-cce8-441b-b50b-1226bf52180a
  5. Lock Screen background picture on sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen background picture on sign in: Is there a way to focus background picture on sign in ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-background-picture-on-sign-in/b49422bc-cce8-441b-b50b-1226bf52180a
  6. Lock Screen background picture on sign in

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Computer sign on each day

Computer sign on each day: Is there a way to eliminate the unsolicited display of pictures, stories, etc. each day when I sign on to my computer. When I sign on I would like to go directly to my desktop and not to the unsolicited information. The information is often opinionated and I would rather not...
  8. Set lock screen to show *one* *different* picture each time

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Set lock screen to show *one* *different* picture each time: I have a folder of images I would like to use for my lock screen. I would like Windows to show a different image from the folder each time, but I would like it to stay on that one image, rather than triggering a slideshow. In the lock screen personalisation settings, I have...
  9. Lock screen sign in picture

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen sign in picture: Hi , The picture I have on my start up is fine then after clicking to go to sign in the picture goes really funny and sometimes when I start up the whole colour is light Blue with a Greeney Blue lettering then eventually goes back to Purple and myBlack letters. Any help...
  10. different lock screen and sign in screen?

different lock screen and sign in screen?: In 1607, the lock screen can be shown on the sign in screen. If disabled, it shows a solid color. Is there a way I can use Spotlight for my lock screen and set the Hero image as my sign in screen background? 63183