Windows 10: I want to add a work or school account as a separate windows user but I don't have the option

Discus and support I want to add a work or school account as a separate windows user but I don't have the option in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to separate my personal and work account. I have my personal account set up. I want to add my work or school account as separate... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohanSmits1, Mar 7, 2021.

1. I want to add a work or school account as a separate windows user but I don't have the option

Hi,

I would like to separate my personal and work account. I have my personal account set up. I want to add my work or school account as separate windows.

On this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-or-remove-accounts-on-your-pc-104dc19f-6430-4b49-6a2b-e4dbd1dcdf32

It says:

To add someone with an existing Microsoft account:

1. Select Start > Settings > Accounts > Other users in some Windows editions, it may be labeled as Other people or Family & other users.

2. Under Work or school users, select Add a work or school user.

But I do not have the option 'work or school user' when I go to 'family & other users'.

When I go to 'other users' and then click on 'add someone to this pc' it is not possible to separate between the personal and work or school account with the same email. When I enter the email address, it does not give me an option to select the type of account, it gives an error because it would like to re-open the personal account that I have requested to delete but is still in the process.

How do I add my work or school account, of which there also exist a personal microsoft account with the same email address, as a separate windows user?

:)

JohanSmits1, Mar 7, 2021

2. Can't add a school account?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to try the below given methods and check if it works:

Method 1:

This issue may arise due to some file corruption, I suggest you to try running DISM tool and check if it works. To do so, refer the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Method 2:

I suggest you to try to create a new user account and check if you still face this issue in new user account. To create it perform the steps mentioned below.

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Control Panel.
    • Click on User accounts and Family Safety.
    • Click on User Account and then click on Manage Accounts.
    • Now click on Add a new user and follow the instructions.
    • Sign out from the current User account and log-in using new User account and check if issue persist.
    Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Microsoft account Sign in option under user account is not working

Hi NAvneet.

Many thanks for your help. But this didn't work.

Should I try the below procedure. Someone has suggested this method to similar query in other thread. Pls suggest:

Please follow the steps to enable the build in administrator and check if it helps:

• Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
    • Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in
      Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you can’t get there, skip to the next major step.
      • If you can get to a CMD window, enable the built-in administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes
      • Then restart and sign-in as the Administrator account.
      • Once in the Administrator account, open Regedit
        and go to the following key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the desktop.
      • Then continue with step 4 below.
    • Use boot media to access the recovery command prompt.
      • Start Regedit.
      • Select the HKEY_USERS key.
      • Click File, Load Hive. and go up in the file system to This PC. Then browse to this file and then click Open:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
      • When prompted, name it “def”
      • Select this key:

HKEY_USERS\def\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the C:\ drive.
    • Find the subkey under StoredIdentities that matches the name of the Microsoft Account.
    • Delete the key.
    • If you loaded the offline registry hive, go back up in the tree on the left and select “def”. Then click File,
      Unload hive. This option will only be available if “def” is selected.
    • Restart the PC and test sign-in.
    • Once done, you may need to Verify the account in Settings, Accounts in order for it to be fully usable in Windows again.
    • If you used the built-in Administrator account to resolve the issue, please return it to the default disabled state to help keep the Computer secure. To do so follow the steps:
      net user administrator /active:no
    Please create a new administrator account using the Microsoft Account and check.

Shobhitjain2005, Mar 7, 2021
  4. I want to add a work or school account as a separate windows user but I don't have the option

Can't remove a Work or School account from Windows 10

I found I could not delete the work or school account, because it was likely controlled by a domain controller, which I could no longer log onto.

I found the solution below DOES work, as described by the user Pvandamcom2

Steps:

- In Control Panel, User Accounts, select your account

- Select "instead log on with a local account" and follow the steps

- Then logon, go back to accounts, and go to Access to work and school account

- Click Disconnect for the Work or School Account. The work account dissappeared

- Last step, go back and change logon to be with Microsoft Account instead of
    local account

The work account is no longer displayed

Gary in San Diego, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

I want to add a work or school account as a separate windows user but I don't have the option

1. I want to add a work or school account as a separate windows user but I don't have the option - Similar Threads - add school account

2. I want to add a separate work account to my windows 11 computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to add a separate work account to my windows 11 computer: I use my computer for my small business and when I setup the computer I was able to login with my business microsoft credentials as I have my own domain and use Microsoft 365 Business. I now have another domain and email address and would like to add it as a completely...
  3. I want to add a separate work account to my windows 11 computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to add a separate work account to my windows 11 computer: I use my computer for my small business and when I setup the computer I was able to login with my business microsoft credentials as I have my own domain and use Microsoft 365 Business. I now have another domain and email address and would like to add it as a completely...
  4. MS thinks I have a work/school account but I don't

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    MS thinks I have a work/school account but I don't: When MS asks me to sign in - to access this community for example - it presents two options, a personal account and a work/school account which both have the same email address.It suggests the latter was provided by an organisation - but it was not.I do not have an...
  5. MS thinks I have a work/school account but I don't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS thinks I have a work/school account but I don't: When MS asks me to sign in - to access this community for example - it presents two options, a personal account and a work/school account which both have the same email address.It suggests the latter was provided by an organisation - but it was not.I do not have an...
  6. MS thinks I have a work/school account but I don't

7. Can't add azure user account into work or school users

Can't add azure user account into work or school users: I can't add my azure AD account to my laptop also I have checked other laptop works fine it's something went weird with this one, please guide...
  8. No option to 'Add a work or School user' as a sign-in account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to 'Add a work or School user' as a sign-in account: User logged into Laptop using Personal MS account as edition was Home - so unable to log in with work account -; I then upgraded to Enterprise edition and removed personal account from device but did not have the option to add work account in other users - only option to add...
  9. No option to 'Add a work or School user' as a sign-in account

No option to 'Add a work or School user' as a sign-in account: User logged into Laptop using Personal MS account as edition was Home - so unable to log in with work account -; I then upgraded to Enterprise edition and removed personal account from device but did not have the option to add work account in other users - only option to add...
  10. No option to 'Add a work or School user' as a sign-in account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen