Windows 10: I want to be able to access my external hd wirelessly again.

Discus and support I want to be able to access my external hd wirelessly again. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After two attemps to fix my poor internet connection where I was told to disconnect the router for one minute at a time so the IT guys could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndreMF, Apr 8, 2020.

1. AndreMF Win User

I want to be able to access my external hd wirelessly again.

After two attemps to fix my poor internet connection where I was told to disconnect the router for one minute at a time so the IT guys could reconfigure my router, I discovered way too late that the external hd I had configured to be accessible wirelessly was no longer accessible. When I clicked on it, it said something along the lines of "name already in use" or something. But then we had to unplug the router from the outlet entirely, and all devices I had available wirelessly vanished from the network tab. I just want to restore things to the way they were. This was how things looked at the network tab in File Explorer when everything was okay:My own computer was visible, though with no shared files or folders, the router was there, and you could find the hard drive if you accessed it, and finally I could access my mother's computer, as well as her desktop.

I don't know why it all went away. What do I have to do to make my computer visible through the network? I know this all sounds barely coherent, but that's only because I myself barely understand what happened. If anyone could just guide me through a step-by-step to make the items mentioned in the underline section visible again, I would be immensely grateful.

:)

AndreMF, Apr 8, 2020
  2. Clark Ari Win User

Bad External HD???

Hi Tom,

The error that you received when trying to connect or access data to an external hard drive can be caused due to the following:

• Corrupted USB driver is unstable or corrupted.
    • Important Windows Update is missing.
    • USB controllers are corrupted or unstable.
    • Your external drive may be entering selective suspend.
    • Motherboard needs to update its drivers.

In order for us to troubleshoot your concern, we recommend that you follow the steps provided on this article:
    Error: “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive.
    The article will be able to provide you with the steps that you'll need to perform in order to resolve this issue.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Clark Ari, Apr 8, 2020
  3. External HD Connection Problem

I have attached an external HD to my computer running Windows 10 and it will not show up in my drive list. The properties shows it as Seagate.ink - what is an ink file and any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

ColleenTreacy, Apr 8, 2020
  4. I want to be able to access my external hd wirelessly again.

Problems accessing my external WD/HD.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having limited access to the external hard drive.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Were you able to access the complete drive prior to this issue?

Update the drivers from device manager

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard.
    2. Choose Device Manager from the pop-up menu.
    3. Expand Disk drives option.
    4. Right click on the problematic drive and choose Update driver.
    5. Select Search Automatically for updated driver software
      and follow the onscreen steps

I would also suggest you to update the storage drivers from the manufacturer website. If you are using an Intel configuration, then you can try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the manufacturer website.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

I want to be able to access my external hd wirelessly again.

1. I want to be able to access my external hd wirelessly again. - Similar Threads - able access external

2. Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive: I have problems to access my photos saved on external hard drive Toshiba as they appear to be locked. Please assist me in unlocking these files and in some cases entire folder is locked. I am also not able to copy the file on to my laptop internal storage. For some reason I...
  3. Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access Photos on my External Hard Drive: I have problems to access my photos saved on external hard drive Toshiba as they appear to be locked. Please assist me in unlocking these files and in some cases entire folder is locked. I am also not able to copy the file on to my laptop internal storage. For some reason I...
  4. Not able to connect to external wireless display nor able to project to my pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to connect to external wireless display nor able to project to my pc.: Few months back i tried to cast my android phone to my laptop using built-in app in my phone and 'connect' app on windows 10 and everything was working fine, but now if I am trying to do the same thing my laptop is not being detected as wireless display neither I am able to...
  5. Not able to connect to external wireless display nor able to project to my pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to connect to external wireless display nor able to project to my pc.: Few months back i tried to cast my android phone to my laptop using built-in app in my phone and 'connect' app on windows 10 and everything was working fine, but now if I am trying to do the same thing my laptop is not being detected as wireless display neither I am able to...
  6. Cannot access to some external HD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot access to some external HD: I recently recovered my old HD from my previous pc, but for some reason when I try to E:/Users/MyOldPcUserName, it keeps loading it whitout never let me in. Any suggestions about to solve it? submitted by /u/Gol_D_baT [link] [comments]...
  7. Not able to backup files located on an external HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to backup files located on an external HD: Hi I need to backup mp3 files located on the external HD "XXX". I go to Control Panel and Backup settings and i set as backup untit the external drive "YYY", then i remove all the default folder to be backup music, documents, downloads and so on and I add a folder on HD...
  8. Problems accessing my external WD/HD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems accessing my external WD/HD.: I have a Western Digital 1TB external HD. Windows 10 recognizes it, but only allows limited access to my files. Especially media! Then, on occasion, I receive a message denying access at all, or something is wrong with the drive or it plays some of my media and denies...
  9. Not able to access external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to access external hard drive: Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited...
  10. Problem accessing files on external HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem accessing files on external HD: Hi, I recently bought a new PC with Windows 10 and I am having some issues with an external USB hard drive that I was wondering if I could get some feedback on. Here's the problem: when trying to access certain files on the drive (no rhyme or reason apparent - it just...