Windows 10: I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD

Discus and support I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all... My laptop have both SSD and HDD. Windows is currently installed in HDD, but I want to install windows 10 in my SSD to boot faster. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nevzat DoğukanErbek, Apr 1, 2022.

1. I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD

Hello all... My laptop have both SSD and HDD. Windows is currently installed in HDD, but I want to install windows 10 in my SSD to boot faster. When I try to install windows in my SSD, I got an error that says windows cannot be installed to this disk because it's not formatted as NTFS etc. When I right click on my SSD, there is no available options. Any solutions?

:)

Nevzat DoğukanErbek, Apr 1, 2022
  2. DaveM121 Win User

W10 OS Clean Install on SSD

Hi William

If you install Windows 10 on the SSD, the software installed in the HDD will not be accessible from that operating system on the SSD, because they were not installed into that version

Installing a second version of the OS on an SSD would mean you need to purchase a second Windows 10 licence

When you install Windows 10 on the SSD, there will be no conflict between the 2 operating Systems, a boot loader will be created, giving you the opportunity to boot into either OS

Yes, you will need to install a full set of device drivers into the OS on the SSD . . .

DaveM121, Apr 1, 2022
  3. GNJha Win User
    Installing and configuring SSD with HD

So, if I understand correctly, you do not want to dual boot, but you do want to keep the OS on the HDD and in case of SSD failure, you will then want to boot from the HDD - is that correct?

Yes, its correct.

As you said, in case of any issue with SSD, using BIOS/UEFI change the boot order. I got it.

• What I need to do while installation of OS in SSD so that computer must boot with SSD OS only till the time I don't make any change from BIOS/UEFI?
    • After successful installation of OS in SSD, will I be able to see/access HDD data?
    • In this setup, is there any precautions?
    With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Apr 1, 2022
  4. I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD

Migrated os to new ssd and it won't boot properly

Hi Dylan_14,

I am Jaspreet Singh an independent advisor.

Have you changed bios settings to boot from the new ssd?

If yes try rebuilding boot record as listed in steps here :
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

It might be a good choice to check partition layout/format in your new ssd to be sure they are same as Hdd.

** If willing I would recommend a clean install over cloning as newer updates for windows cause a lot issues during cloning that makes it not worth the effort over a clean install.

JaspreetSingh08, Apr 1, 2022
Thema:

I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD

1. I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD - Similar Threads - boot SSD install

2. I want to add a ssd to my pc but it already has os on the ssd I'm installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to add a ssd to my pc but it already has os on the ssd I'm installing: Is it fine for me to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-add-a-ssd-to-my-pc-but-it-already-has-os/5415b43f-666f-4619-a068-2649d951b538
  3. I want to add a ssd to my pc but it already has os on the ssd I'm installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to add a ssd to my pc but it already has os on the ssd I'm installing: Is it fine for me to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-add-a-ssd-to-my-pc-but-it-already-has-os/5415b43f-666f-4619-a068-2649d951b538
  4. I want to install windows in ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to install windows in ssd: I want to ssd install and windows in ssd by online support https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-install-windows-in-ssd/41259377-14db-45df-b740-e45a74b03a2b
  5. I want to install windows in ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to install windows in ssd: I want to ssd install and windows in ssd by online support https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-install-windows-in-ssd/41259377-14db-45df-b740-e45a74b03a2b
  6. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  7. Cant Boot OS on SSD

Cant Boot OS on SSD: Hi All, I am having trouble, my OS is installed on my HDD. My computer has been extremely slow ever since it was reinstalled onto my HDD from SSD screenshot below. Iam trying to have it copied and moved back to my SSD Patriot Burst. Ive done a copying and moved all the data...
  8. Cant Boot OS on SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD: Hello all... My laptop have both SSD and HDD. Windows is currently installed in HDD, but I want to install windows 10 in my SSD to boot faster. When I try to install windows in my SSD, I got an error that says windows cannot be installed to this disk because it's not...
  10. I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD

I want to boot with SSD but can not install OS in SSD: Hello all... My laptop have both SSD and HDD. Windows is currently installed in HDD, but I want to install windows 10 in my SSD to boot faster. When I try to install windows in my SSD, I got an error that says windows cannot be installed to this disk because it's not...