Windows 10: I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...

Discus and support I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just finished loading everything and setting up my new win10 computer. I change my bios setting from Legacy to UEFI and convert boot hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MSw10, Apr 19, 2021.

1. MSw10 Win User

I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...

I just finished loading everything and setting up my new win10 computer. I change my bios setting from Legacy to UEFI and convert boot hard drive from MBR to GPT. Can I change the BIOS to UEFI, boot DOS form a USB, reformat the boot HD using diskpart to GPT, and then restore the boot HD from the image? There seem to be problems in changing over from MBR to GPT by just changing the BIOS setting. What I am asking, when restoring from an image does it matter if I make these changes or will the image restore the boot HD to an MBR boot rather than reinstalling the image as a GPT boot?

:)

MSw10, Apr 19, 2021

2. Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

Hi HannanShaikh,

You can convert your Legacy mode drive to UEFI boot anytime, visit this link:
    Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style
    for a comprehensive guide to reformat your hard disk to boot it to a UEFI mode.

The option to "Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode" is also provided there.

Make sure that you use the same USB drive which already matched the edition of Windows 10 for your computer.

If you continue to have this issue even after performing the above steps, please reply to this thread. The system will notify me so I can get back to you and provide you more answers.

Johann Eva, Apr 19, 2021
  3. What is a better format for HDD over 2TB Master boot with Win 7 OS RAID... GPT vs MBR?

UEFI -> GPT
    BIOS -> MBR

I use GPT whenever possible.

YES! BIOS can only boot MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Saltgrass Win User

I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...

Cannot convert SSD drive from legacy (MBR) to UEFI (GPT) because of the System-reserved partition

Maybe someone covered this earlier in the thread but a Legacy Windows install will not boot to a GPT configured drive. You need to use UEFI for that and UEFI will not boot to a MBR configured drive.

So, unless you have a UEFI capable system you need to stay with MBR for the Boot drive...

Saltgrass, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

1. I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10... - Similar Threads - change Legacy UEFI

2. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  3. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  4. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  5. Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Drive from MBR to GPT: After failing the Win11 check due to my boot drive being MBR, i've read so much on changing my drive to GPT (I use UEFI BIOS already). The MBR2GPT tool on Windows fails as it says it can't create an EFI partition. I'm assuming now that I can't change my boot drive from MBR to...
  6. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  7. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  8. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  9. Is It Possible To Convert GPT to MBR Than Legacy Boot Windows

Is It Possible To Convert GPT to MBR Than Legacy Boot Windows: First off, I apologize if this may be posted int the wrong section, I could not find another section that would suit this content. And also, I apologize if this sounds stupid, I don't like staring at the Acer logo when I turn on the computer, and cannot find a way to turn it...
  10. I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10

I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10: I want to move from MBR Win7 to GPT Win10. With the USB, do I need to "boot with EFI" from inside BIOS? or can I boot normally but then configure as GPT install per above? Edit: Also, does the BIOS need to be changed or does it figure it out MBR vs GPT? (I have an older...