Windows 10: I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to...

Discus and support I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have 2 emails. Lets call them Email A and Email B. Each of those emails has its own Microsoft account attached to it. Account A and Account B. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Josh_890, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Josh_890 Win User

I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to...

I have 2 emails. Lets call them Email A and Email B.

Each of those emails has its own Microsoft account attached to it. Account A and Account B.

I want to keep Account A, but I want Email B to be attached to it.

When I try to add an alias on Account A using Email B, it says that Email B is already taken, so I go to close Account B.

Now Account B isn't fully closed and gone as of this post so that may be why it still isn't working, but I want to confirm:

Once Account B is closed & Email B is no longer attached to any account, will I be able to add it as an alias and make it the primary email on Account A?

I have seen some posts on these forums that are confusing but make it seem like this is not doable and that once an email is used to make an account, it is locked from being made into an alias.

If this is true, I have a follow up question: What is the phone number of the most highest up person I can call that will MAKE it work. Cause let me be clear, I don't care what the reasoning is. I will have Email B switched to Account A.

:)

Josh_890, Sep 22, 2020

2. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Sep 22, 2020
  3. ARC1020 Win User
    Changing my Primary Microsoft account e-mail

Yeah, pretty much. Add a new outlook.com alias, make that the primary Microsoft Account address, then delete the old email address. It will take a while for it to update on all your devices though (I've had it take about a week or so for it to finally update itself and even then the last time I couldn't be bothered to wait so reset my phone instead of waiting for it to update).

From Outlook – free personal email and calendar from Microsoft go to the cog in the top-right, then Options > Aliases: manage or choose a primary

I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to... [​IMG]

Also, make sure you update your details on all online accounts you have that are using that old email address, because your old email address maybe made available again for someone else to register after 30 days. If they register that address, then they will be able to carry out password resets and gain control of those online accounts that you haven't changed the email address on.

What I'd probably do is set up your new Outlook.com alias and make it the primary address, however keep the old Hotmail account alias for 6 months or so purely for the purpose of seeing what online accounts you have that are still using that old email address (that way you know which online accounts you still need to update your email address on).

So that emails that are sent to your old address are kept separate from your new email address, create a new email folder on Outlook.com (you still can't do this directly in the Windows 10 Mail app), then create a rule so that emails sent to your old address go into their own separate folder.

I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to... [​IMG]

Here are couple of tutorials:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/42022-microsoft-account-aliases-add-remove.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/42098-microsoft-account-aliases-change-primary-alias.html

ARC1020, Sep 22, 2020
  4. I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to...

Change Microsoft account

Hi,

Changing the email address attached to your gamertag will not affect your current game data. To change the email address associated to your gamertag, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on the link below.

How to change the email address associated with your Microsoft Account

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Wilfred Mac, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to...

1. I want to change the primary email attached to my microsoft account, but the one I want to... - Similar Threads - change primary email

2. want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it: want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-change-my-email-alias-to-primary-email-how/f2260d22-4bb0-42d2-9713-ce95bfbbe50a
  3. want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it: want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-change-my-email-alias-to-primary-email-how/f2260d22-4bb0-42d2-9713-ce95bfbbe50a
  4. want to change my email alias to primary email how do I do it

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I want to edit my microsoft email account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to edit my microsoft email account: I want to keep all my setting from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, all my computer settings but remove the account and use *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Windows 11...
  6. I want to edit my microsoft email account

I want to edit my microsoft email account: I want to keep all my setting from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, all my computer settings but remove the account and use *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Windows 11...
  7. I want to edit my microsoft email account

8. So, I want to attach a spreadsheet to an email

So, I want to attach a spreadsheet to an email: but spreadsheet says no link to email..go to settings...so go to setting, defaults...mail...and only option is microsoft edge..cannot link outlook or gmailthey don't appear as an option, but I understand these are web based so won't work.This means in spreadsheet I can not...
  9. I want to change my Microsoft account email but I can't access my email

I want to change my Microsoft account email but I can't access my email: I just had my Gmail account hooked to my Microsoft account get deleted for trying to make another Gmail account. I still know the password to my Microsoft account, but now I can't access anything when it asks for a code that has been sent to my Gmail that was deleted. I can...
  10. I want to change my Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I want to change my Microsoft Account: I got a new computer and I used a different Microsoft Account than I wanted, even though it's mine, I can't seem to change it. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-change-my-microsoft-account/5597e400-8101-46fa-a705-c94ad1f46338