Windows 10: I want to eject my hard drive but this PID 4 thing makes it that I can't eject the drive....

Discus and support I want to eject my hard drive but this PID 4 thing makes it that I can't eject the drive.... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Zetizer7708 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Zetizer7708, Feb 11, 2021.

1. I want to eject my hard drive but this PID 4 thing makes it that I can't eject the drive....

/u/Zetizer7708, Feb 11, 2021
  2. amdcrash Win User

hard drive not ejecting.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4592 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25A2\57583831414336394B4A5659.

how do i force eject, concidering how useless the stock safe eject button is. when i click eject. that means i want to eject NOW. not in a minute, not in a second. it means NOW. usually i just rip the hard drive out of the USB slot, because microsoft apparently
    can't tell me what specifically is using my hard drive.

amdcrash, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Problems ejecting a portable hard drive.

i have a solution for the problem with ejecting external hard drives this has worked for me on my windows 10 computer.

when typing use lower case letters and leave out the brackets ( ).

i have use capital letters in parts so it is easier for all people to understand.

i will do it in steps.

step 1. try and eject the external hard drive. when the message pops up saying (PROBLEM EJECTING USB MASS STORAGE) do not close it.

step 2. in the search bar type (EVENT VIEWER)

step 3. in (Event viewer) on the left side look for (Windows logs) then click (SYSTEM)

step 4. in (SYSTEM) tab go across to (EVENT ID) look for (EVENT ID 225)
    there might be multiple (EVENT ID 225) in that case it will be the top one.

when you click on it. underneath it there will be two options named (GENERAL and DETAILS) select general.

it will tell you what has stopped the external hard drive from ejecting. it will have your device directory and in that it will say something like.

(The application\device\ the name of your external hard drive\program files\ X86\ what ever program is causing to problem).

step 5. when you have found out what program is causing the problem. open
    (TASK MANAGER) by holding the
    (ctrl+alt+delete)

at the same time. then click
    (TASK MANAGER)

step 6. in
    (TASK MANGER) go to the
    (PROCESSES TAB) scroll down until you get to
    (BACK GROUND PROCESSES) when there find the program name that was in
    (EVENT VIEWER) click on it and end task.

step 6. close the
    (PROBLEM EJECTING USB MASS STORAGE)

that popped up and now try ejecting the external hard drive again if the previous message doesnt pop up again you have fix the problem and the hard drive will eject properly.

step 7. if the problem happens the next time you turn on your computer just remember the program that caused the problem and go to (TASK MANAGER) and end the same task as before. if the problem
    happens after then just repeat the step i have laid out and you will be able to find what other program could be the problem.

if when you have tried these steps and you still have a problem chances are it could be a hardware problem with either the external hard drive or the computer its self.

i hope this post will help people out to fix the problem.

please comment if you need further assistance.

thank you.

thomas.

thomasholroyd1, Feb 11, 2021
  4. I want to eject my hard drive but this PID 4 thing makes it that I can't eject the drive....

hard drive not ejecting.

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

It appears that Windows Security is scanning the drive which is why you cannot eject the drive as per the message. Are there any Windows Explorer windows open when you try to eject?

The easiest way would be to add an exclusion but it would make sure no scan is done on the drive, which is a security risk.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

I want to eject my hard drive but this PID 4 thing makes it that I can't eject the drive....

1. I want to eject my hard drive but this PID 4 thing makes it that I can't eject the drive.... - Similar Threads - eject hard drive

2. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  3. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  4. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  5. hard drive not ejecting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive not ejecting.: The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4592 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25A2\57583831414336394B4A5659. how do i force eject, concidering how useless...
  6. How do I eject an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I eject an external hard drive?: When I go to eject the drive, the eject button is greyed out and I can't click on it. When I go to the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to try and eject, it says that it cannot because it's still being used in a program. I ended up closing all my programs and windows...
  7. i can't eject my hard disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i can't eject my hard disk?: it keeps telling me that it is still in use even though i've closed all running programs. has happened constantly and every time i need to eject it i use the "diskpart" command. what could be the issue and is it okay if i continue doing this? submitted by...
  8. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....

Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....: Is it safe to keep hard drives and flash drives connected all the time (Windows 10), even when shutting down everyday ... ? Or should I use the Eject feature to be safe ... ? 128834
  10. I Can't eject virtural drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    I Can't eject virtural drive: I created a virtual drive to download and iso file and I can not eject or delete it. I have uninstalled the program that was downloaded. I get an error when trying to delete the downloaded file that it is open in the system close and try again but I don't know how to close...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to remove my flash disk when process id 4 wont let me

2. windows pid 4 process