Windows 10: I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

Discus and support I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have a samsung 250gb ssd (C:) and a hdd (E:). My ssd contains windows on it along with some programs and my hdd has mostly games and programs. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LukaMijatovic, Jan 22, 2019.

1. I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

So I have a samsung 250gb ssd (CI want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help. :) and a hdd (EI want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help. :). My ssd contains windows on it along with some programs and my hdd has mostly games and programs. I want to format both of them, but I am unable to do it in Disk Managment. For both of them the format button is greyed out. How do I format both of them without damaging the SSD?

:)

LukaMijatovic, Jan 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jan 22, 2019
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help. :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help. :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jan 22, 2019
  4. I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Both options you gave concern re-installing applications.

Option I suggest: if the space taken up (used) on your current hard disk drive is LESS than the the space you will have available on your new SSD (formatted size), utilize some third party partitioning tool to shrink the partition to minimal size (under
    the size of the SSD) and then use another tool to make an image of that partition or clone that partition onto the SSD and then take out the HDD and see if everything is working properly on your SSD. Once you have determined that, if you want the extra space
    the HDD will grant you, put it back in and format it /use it.

Shenan Stanley, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help.

1. I want to format both my ssd and hdd and I need help. - Similar Threads - format both ssd

2. SSD and HDD both not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD and HDD both not responding: I have one ssd and one hdd in my laptop. The hdd was given with the laptop and the ssd I have installed myself. Suddenly from today evening, both the Drive C SSD & Drive D HDD not responding, though they are showing in the file explorer. How to resolve my problem?...
  3. SSD and HDD both not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD and HDD both not responding: I have one ssd and one hdd in my laptop. The hdd was given with the laptop and the ssd I have installed myself. Suddenly from today evening, both the Drive C SSD & Drive D HDD not responding, though they are showing in the file explorer. How to resolve my problem?...
  4. I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and...: I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and delete all files and documents from it, leaving only Windows. I want the HDD to remain unchanged, so that all documents remain on it after formatting the SSD. I have windows 10 pro...
  5. I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and...: I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and delete all files and documents from it, leaving only Windows. I want the HDD to remain unchanged, so that all documents remain on it after formatting the SSD. I have windows 10 pro...
  6. I have two hard drives in my laptop, SSD and HDD. I want to format Windows on my SSD and...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Barely anything on my pc works, I need help formatting ssd or hdd, overwriting or updating...: I was updating my pc and while it was updating my power went out. Later when everything turned back on I tried to finish the update and it blue screened. I rebooted it and when I did everything seemed fine. I could turn it on and login, but when i logged in barely anything...
  8. I have Windows 10 on my HDD and I want it on my SSD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have Windows 10 on my HDD and I want it on my SSD.: A few years ago I bought Windows 10 on a disk and installed it onto my HDD. Now I have an SSD and want the better load times that come with having the OS on the SSD. I still have the original packaging and disk, along with the activation key. Would there be any way to...
  9. I Can't Format My HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Can't Format My HDD: Hiya guys, I have 2 HDD's in my PC, one is a Windows 10 HDD and the other is just there for media files. I wanted to format my media drive, but it wont let me. It turns out when I installed Windows 10, it added the boot folders to the media HDD. No idea why. I guess I need...
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208

Users found this page by searching for:

1. format windows both ssd and hdd