Windows 10: I want to know, if my licence is linked to my MS account

Discus and support I want to know, if my licence is linked to my MS account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, so my PC crashed few month ago and I am thinking about repairing it. But since my MOBO died, I need to buy new one, with newer CPU (newer socket)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DavidKřivanec, Jan 16, 2019.

1. I want to know, if my licence is linked to my MS account

Hi, so my PC crashed few month ago and I am thinking about repairing it. But since my MOBO died, I need to buy new one, with newer CPU (newer socket) and RAM (get new DDR4 instead of DDR3). So problem is that quite a lot of HW will be replaced and also GPU was replaced earlier. So I think that licence won't recognize the HW. And the thing is, I have my work laptop, personal laptop si I don't want to invest in a new licence for my personal desktop (I will rather throw it away than invest too much money - I just want to restore it with low end CPU and MOBO)
    So question is, how to know, if my licence key is linked to my MS account or not.

Again, I can't start my old PC to get this information from the PC settings.

Thank you!

Bye

:)

DavidKřivanec, Jan 16, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Linking digital licences to MS Account.

We all now that we can link the digital licence now to our MS account, using Redstone.

However, I have just discovered something slightly disconcerting.

I have 14393.5 Home, upgraded from retail 8.1 on my PC, and it was registered as a device on my MS account, and shows as being linked to my MS account.

I have since installed 10586.494 10 Pro N, as an upgrade from retail 8.1 Pro N key on my PC as a dual boot option. This has new registered as a device on my MS account. This shows as activated ok.

Now here's the thing - the 14393.5 Home install no longer shows a device in my MS account. I am sure the digital licences are ok (easy to test by installing another copy temporarily in a vhd), but it seems you can only see the last digital licence that was linked.

So I am struggling to see how you could reactivate both digital licences e.g. if mobo failed if you can only see one of them.

cereberus, Jan 16, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User

Yeah - that coiuld be the case, but when I was testing with vms, it only ever showed devices that were in your devices.

I worked out a workaround ie. use a different MS account for each licence - maybe not needed, but I can see same device with different OS now as a result.

cereberus, Jan 16, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

I want to know, if my licence is linked to my MS account

You are missing the point - I have two valid digital licences - one for home, and one for pro (retail originals as well) on same PC as dual boot, but it seems you can only link the last one to your MS account i.e. each time you link one, it removes the previous link.

So if I had a mobo failure, I would only be able to reactivate one of the licences as far as I can tell.

cereberus, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

I want to know, if my licence is linked to my MS account

1. I want to know, if my licence is linked to my MS account - Similar Threads - licence linked account

2. I want to link my Microsoft account to my xbox360

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to link my Microsoft account to my xbox360: How do I link my Xbox 360 to myicrosoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-link-my-microsoft-account-to-my-xbox360/8ccfc067-ab9e-4733-b785-f6cda6afa4d3
  3. I want to link my Microsoft account to my xbox360

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to link my Microsoft account to my xbox360: How do I link my Xbox 360 to myicrosoft account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-link-my-microsoft-account-to-my-xbox360/8ccfc067-ab9e-4733-b785-f6cda6afa4d3
  4. Link my migrated MS account to my Mojang account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Link my migrated MS account to my Mojang account: I have run the migration process of my Mojang account to my MS account but it seems it didn't succeed since logging in with my MS account requires me to pay again to use download Mojang and also fails to login from the Game itself.On the otherhand trying to login with my...
  5. Link my migrated MS account to my Mojang account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Link my migrated MS account to my Mojang account: I have run the migration process of my Mojang account to my MS account but it seems it didn't succeed since logging in with my MS account requires me to pay again to use download Mojang and also fails to login from the Game itself.On the otherhand trying to login with my...
  6. I want my licence key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I want my licence key: I want my licence key because my acer laptop motherboard has been dead. I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 and it was digital licence retail one. I want my product key so that i can install on my Dell Inspiron laptop. And when my laptop was in working condition so I forgot to...
  7. how to i know my licence key?

how to i know my licence key?: how to i know my licence key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-i-know-my-licence-key/792adc84-14d1-459d-b6c7-cac162763cb2
  8. Cannot activate windows with my Digital Licence (linked with my MS Account)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot activate windows with my Digital Licence (linked with my MS Account): [ATTACH] I have recently changed from HDD to SSD and installed Windows 10 in it. How ever when tried to activate/troubleshoot, windows gets activated, but with an Organisation license. I am not behind a organisation network either and not used any organisation keys. I...
  9. I want to know *why* my account was locked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to know *why* my account was locked.: I'm not contesting the account locking, or the fact that you need a phone number to unlock your account. But I do not believe I was doing anything that was against terms of service, and I know that no one else has access to this account. Ergo, if I don't know what I did...
  10. Linking digital licences to MS Account.

Linking digital licences to MS Account.: We all now that we can link the digital licence now to our MS account, using Redstone. However, I have just discovered something slightly disconcerting. I have 14393.5 Home, upgraded from retail 8.1 on my PC, and it was registered as a device on my MS account, and shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nextdoor 494 error how to fix