Windows 10: i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard

Discus and support i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have built a new pc, but all it needs is an os. Since the pc that i am using right now has a windows 10 pro (digital activation) os i was really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by rileyewert, Mar 30, 2019.

1. i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard

I have built a new pc, but all it needs is an os. Since the pc that i am using right now has a windows 10 pro (digital activation) os i was really hoping that i could just put the hdd in my pc right now into my new pc, but i did some research on it and it seems that there are some issues in doing that.

:)

rileyewert, Mar 30, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Mar 30, 2019
  3. JacobHull Win User
    Reactivating Windows 10 Pro on new motherboard

So I just did a significant hardware upgrade which involves new motherboard, cpu, and ssd. Now I can't seem to activate windows 10 as it can't find my digital license (I was upgraded from some other version a while ago).

I originally made the switch from old HDD to new SSD by using windows 10 install media and skipping the product key info (I don't have that info).

I thought that I could get it to work by having my old HDD attached to the motherboard while activating, but I discovered that now the copy of Windows 10 is also invalid on my HDD (it wasn't before).

I can only surmise that my digital license uses the motherboard as part of the verification process, and the only way to move forward is to put my HDD with my old motherboard and then link the digital license to my microsoft account and then activate my new
    setup with the microsoft account. Is this correct?

Also, after doing the above stuff - can I go back to using a local or offline account? I'd prefer to not have my microsoft account connected in any way or form to my Desktop

Thanks

[Moved from:Windows/Windows 10/Windows update, recovery, & backup]

JacobHull, Mar 30, 2019
  4. NSUSPECT. Win User

i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard

Transfer Windows 10 key from old motherboard to new ones

Hi Microsoft! I'm a customer who uses your products, specifically Windows 10 Pro. I got a problem which is Windows 10 Activation Keys. I updated my PC through Windows 7 Pro ( Activated of course ). And right now I want to buy a new Motherboard for RAM
    upgrade purpose. So my question is: Can transfer my key from old Motherboard to the new Motherboard to get full Windows 10 Pro Activation Keys? If it is possible, please tell me how to do that? Thank you!

NSUSPECT., Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard

1. i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard - Similar Threads - move old hdd

2. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  3. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  4. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro - new motherboard: I have just ordered a new PC with Windows 10 Pro - it was a custom build. This arrived in January. I have realised that I have bought an inappropriate motherboard for the processor I got. It is not faulty - I just stupidly chose a cheap model. I would now like to change it....
  6. Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10?: I plan to build a new PC with new hardware. Can I boot the new system with the HDD from my old PC with Windows 10 on it and important data that I don't want to delete? I know that I will buy a new Windows key...and can I do that, then also with the different drivers etc. or...
  7. Moving SSD windows 10 pro to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving SSD windows 10 pro to a new motherboard: Planning on upgrading CPu/GPU/RAM/motherboard but I hate reinstalling everything as my current set up of installed softwares are already optimal. Any way i can move my SSD with the OS to the new motherboard without reinstalling? Windows 10 pro wasn't preinstalled, it was a...
  8. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  9. Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows: I have an old computer I wish to move the HDD from to a new computer that is already running Windows 10 on it. I'd like to be able to save all the data on the old HDD and use the Windows 10 installation that already exists on the new computer rather than the old HDD. My...
  10. moving old hdd to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moving old hdd to new computer: I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting between win7 and win10, my question is "can it be done"? 11745