Windows 10: I want to require a startup password

Discus and support I want to require a startup password in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I originally set up Windows 10 to not require a password on startup. I now want to change that so that a password is required. I set everything up in... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Fred S._525, Apr 12, 2023.

1. I want to require a startup password

I originally set up Windows 10 to not require a password on startup. I now want to change that so that a password is required. I set everything up in Windows Hello with a Kensington fingerprint scanner. It requests a password after sleep but still automatically logs me in on a cold startup. I am fairly certain I set it all up correctly but it just logs me in automatically on power up. HELP!!

:)

Fred S._525, Apr 12, 2023

2. Password At Startup

Hello Charles,

Providing your credentials at Windows startup is supposed to be required. If it is not prompting you, it is possible that it had been disabled. Follow the steps to enable the required password at Windows startup:

• Type netplwiz in Search.
    • Click netplwiz run command.
    • Enter your administrator credentials if prompted.
    • Check the box beside Users must enter a username and password to use this computer.
    • Hit Apply.
    • Enter the credentials you will be using to sign in to your Windows 10.
    • Click OK.
    • Click OK to save the changes.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Kristine Arp, Apr 12, 2023
  3. Windows Startup password

Is it possible to remove a startup password without being able to log into the system? A friend's laptop just prompt her today for a password that she never enabled. Now, she does have a standard user account password, but that doesn't work for the startup password. She had the computer for about a year now and it has never asked for a startup password until today.

I tried to use Hiren Boot CD to run a diagnostic on the laptop, but it has a bsod. Windows 10 normal boot crashes as well

GoFigureItOut, Apr 12, 2023
  4. Avedis53 Win User

I want to require a startup password

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Apr 12, 2023
Thema:

I want to require a startup password

1. I want to require a startup password - Similar Threads - require startup password

2. Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup: Hello,No matter what I do, Windows requires a password.On startup, first screen says incorrect password. Then when I click in the password section, my username shows up twice in the lower left of the screen.I am able to login under each username successfully with the same...
  3. Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup: Hello,No matter what I do, Windows requires a password.On startup, first screen says incorrect password. Then when I click in the password section, my username shows up twice in the lower left of the screen.I am able to login under each username successfully with the same...
  4. Windows 10 Requiring Password on Startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. I want to require a startup password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to require a startup password: I originally set up Windows 10 to not require a password on startup. I now want to change that so that a password is required. I set everything up in Windows Hello with a Kensington fingerprint scanner. It requests a password after sleep but still automatically logs me in on...
  6. I want to require a startup password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to require a startup password: I originally set up Windows 10 to not require a password on startup. I now want to change that so that a password is required. I set everything up in Windows Hello with a Kensington fingerprint scanner. It requests a password after sleep but still automatically logs me in on...
  7. Microsoft Account Password Required At Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Account Password Required At Startup: My laptop has just started requesting my Microsoft Account password before it will complete the startup process. How can this password requirement be removed?...
  8. I want to remove the password requirement I set, on startup and wake up. Where can I change...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to remove the password requirement I set, on startup and wake up. Where can I change...: When I got Windows 10 I set a password to start up, and on wake up...No one used this computer but me, and I don't need this password, and I'm tired of putting it in...can I remove it, and where? I've tried everything in Settings, and find nothing. Where do I find the option...
  9. Windows Startup suddenly requiring password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Startup suddenly requiring password: After several years of using windows 10 'startup' in the "Never" require password sign-in mode on my desktop, for several days now, I have suddenly been required to use a password during startup. This apparently occurred subsequent to some 'automatic update' downloads from...
  10. 2 login screens at startup - no password required

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    2 login screens at startup - no password required: 1) Prior to the last win 10 update, when I turned on my PC I briefly got login background wallpaper without (!) a usier icon (UI), user name (UN), or "welcome" message (WM)- the pc then went directly to the desktop - no login required. 2) After the update I lost the login...