Windows 10: I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.

Discus and support I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm about ready to put this computer through a wall. It keeps telling me that I've been invited to join a homegroup. When I try that, I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dbvanhorn, Jul 29, 2015.

1. dbvanhorn Win User

I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.

I'm about ready to put this computer through a wall.

It keeps telling me that I've been invited to join a homegroup.
    When I try that, I get a long wait, then it tells me that there isn't a home group but I can create one.

*MadI DONT WANT ANY HOMEGROUP.*Mad << Read this as Lewis Black

I simply want to make my files and printers accessible to the other pcs and tablets on the network and to access the resources they have made available.

How do I get away from this homegroup mess?

:)

dbvanhorn, Jul 29, 2015

2. sharing a usb printer without sharing files

Hey Ramesh,

Thanks for the reply and info. However the issue wasn't with the printer working it was a problem sharing it over the network. I did figure it out though, the fix actually ended up being to use Homegroup.

The problem started when I switched to Windows 10, I logged in with my Microsoft account instead of the local account I used on that computer with Windows 7. On windows 7 I was able to share the printer without using homegroup and without the network file
    and print sharing turned on. After the upgrade to 10 and changing from a local login to my Microsoft account login, my Windows Credentials got mixed up which caused the usb printer to no longer be usable on the other computers in the office, only mine. If
    I add the printer back into to the other computers manually using my pc name or ip and password then those computers have access to my files even with network file and print sharing turned off on my computer. Also, if network file and print sharing are off
    or password protected sharing is on, then the homegroup share didn't work.
    Turns out it was a combo of network share settings (turn on file and print sharing for the private network and turned off password protected sharing), then set the homegroup to only share printers and devices, that fixed it.
    I like homegroup now I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS. :) I hadn't really used it before.

k1234567890123456789, Jul 29, 2015
  3. How do I set up a home group in Win 10?

Hello Paul,

A HomeGroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share files and printers. Using a HomeGroup makes sharing easier. You can share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers with other people in your HomeGroup.

After you create or join a HomeGroup, you select the libraries (for example, My Pictures or My Documents) that you want to share. You can prevent specific files or folders from being shared, and you can share additional libraries later.

For more reference: HomeGroup from start to finish -
    applies to Windows 10 also.

Hope this information helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 29, 2015
  4. flhthemi Win User

My install isn't bugging me to join a Homegroup. I don't want one either. You may run into the problem I have and can't figure out what to do.

No Homegroup
    File and printer sharing turned ON in all networks (Private, Public and Guest Public)
    Passwords are OFF

While logged into my L: myname@outlook.com on the Win 10 machine I can not access any of the Win 8.1 machines and they are setup the same way! If I use a local login, it works.

EDIT:
    I just figured it out - Simple - Use your outlook login and password same as you use to login to Windows! Duh!

You can also use Vault and create a login credential for each machine you want access to. Use Search>Vault. You'll see Manage Web Credentials. Open it and go for it!

flhthemi, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS. - Similar Threads - share files printers

2. windows 10 file sharing without homegroup? (since they removed it)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 file sharing without homegroup? (since they removed it): since they removed the homegroup i am having MUCH difficulty sharing files between my 2 computers and my laptop. it seems if one can see one, it cant see the other, or non can see any. sometimes it asks me for a password even tho ive never set one up on my home computers,...
  3. How can I share printer on network without sharing files?

How can I share printer on network without sharing files?: I am inquiring about a home network. Would like to share a printer on desktopA with others on network. It works great with laptopA which is on same Microsoft account. But others in the house are not on this Microsoft account, and I do not want to give them access to files -...
  4. File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup

File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  5. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  6. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: At the risk of sounding stupid, now 1803 has removed Homegroup, how do I share/transfer files over to other computers on a network/linked up to the same router? The Homegroup never worked properly anyway, probably due to Windows Firewall being on, but sometimes certain...
  7. shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared

shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared: not sure what category this falls under. i went to add my printer to another computer. i pressed Share Homegroup. now i see this unknown user has access to all my docs.*cry how can i delete this?*Confused 73502
  8. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: Think I've kind of sorted it. Only weird thing is, is sometimes the computers on the network show up, sometimes they don't!
  9. Printer sharing without a password

Printer sharing without a password: I'm trying to help my sister remotely with her windows 10 desktop which has a printer connected to one of the USB ports. She wants to share this printer with a 2nd computer (also win10) on her network. So I set the printer to shared and gave it a sharing name. Then on the 2nd...
  10. Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Homegroup Printer sharing woes: I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10. They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on computer A my biggest machine. Now none can print over the network. My printer had vanished form devices but I have got...