Windows 10: I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

Discus and support I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I connected my old hard drive to my new PC. The HDD has two partitions. I can enter into both of them, but when I try to open some of the folders it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BaldHeadSlick69, Aug 5, 2020.

1. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

I connected my old hard drive to my new PC. The HDD has two partitions. I can enter into both of them, but when I try to open some of the folders it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". I click continue, then it says "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab." I watched some YouTube videos to try to solve the problem but I still get the same error. I enabled permission for everything to everyone, but it didn't work. The old HDD from my old PC has Windows 7 installed on it if that matters. I can't think of anything else important to say right now. Ask me in the comments of you need anymore information. If anyone could help me that could be great. Doing this at home is the best option for me but if everything I try doesn't work I can bring my PC to a Computer repair shop. If you also have any recommendations for subreddits where to ask about the please tell me. Thank you.

submitted by /u/BaldHeadSlick69
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BaldHeadSlick69, Aug 5, 2020

2. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

Yes you'll be able to access your files no problem (from within the OS on the new hard drive). However dont count on it booting from that hard drive. The driver issues will most likely be too much, and it will just blue screen. Theres always a chance it will boot, so try it out, but its going to be a mess uninstalling all the drivers from the previous computer then installing the new ones. It wont be clean, thats for sure. Better to put the old hard drive in the new machine, back up your files to the new hard drive, then reinstall xp on the old hard drive from scratch, if you are able to do that. Ive tried transferring hard drives between computers several times, and most of the time (unless the computers are very similar hardware-wise, i.e. two dells of the same series) they just blue screen. A handful of times though, it has worked, so try it out and see.

As for the external, no it will still have the same effect, as the drivers will kill it (once again, most likely)

Papahyooie, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

I just bought a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply transfer my old hard drive to the new PC. FYI, my old computer was a Dell Dimension 8300, Windows XP, with an 80GB HD. My new computer is a custom Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition, Vista Home Premium 64, with a 1TB HD. Basically:

(1) If I physically remove the old Dell HD and put it in the new computer, will I be able to access my files?

(2) Will I be able to boot from the Windows XP operating system installed on the old HD? (And not compromise my ability to alternatively boot from Vista 64 on the new HD)?

(3) Can I copy the contents of the old HD to an external HD and achieve the result in #2?

Any advice would be appreciated!

diamondrajoor, Aug 5, 2020
  4. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

1) Yes

2) probably but dont expect it to work well

3) Do you mean an encloser?

freaksavior, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

1. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,... - Similar Threads - transfer files old

2. transfer files from old crashed computer to new PC via external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer files from old crashed computer to new PC via external hard drive: I was using windows 7 computer to write my autobiography. I always had an external hard drive attached, but did not know what was really being saved.. Now my old win 7 computer has crashed. How do I find out what files are on my external hard drive and transfer selected files...
  3. Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.: Dear Folks:I just finished my tax return, but before I could print it or file it online, the motherboard failed on my older desktop computer Win 10 Home OS.Is there some way for me to remove the hard drive NTFS formatting from the desktop computer and install it into a new...
  4. Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring hard drive to new computer setup: I remember the last time I did this, back in 2015, taking the SSD out of the old computer and putting it into the new one....Windows just refused to boot, bluescreening over and over again, and I was forced to use a fresh installation. Does Windows still do that? I've heard...
  5. How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer: [ATTACH]Any newly purchased PC lets you zip through different tasks quickly and do other […] This article How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  7. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  8. Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!: I have taken an older HDD from a previous computer. I am not sure if it was a boot drive in the older computer or not. I don’t need to keep anything on it. I just need the extra storage in my new computer. When i am in file explorer looking at it. It says it only has a 98.9...
  9. installing old hard drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing old hard drive in new computer: I have an old hard dive from a laptop that was driven over in traffic. I bought a hard drive less exact replacement computer. I put the old drive in and it all works but now have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 pro....
  10. Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?: I have a 640 GB HDD from my old computer and would like to know if I can install it on my new desktop without issues. The connections match but not sure if the new computer will try and booth-up from the old hard drive. the new computer is running Window 10. Can anyone let...