Windows 10: I want to transfer my retail version of windows 10 from my dead computer to a laptop with a...

Discus and support I want to transfer my retail version of windows 10 from my dead computer to a laptop with a... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My desktop computer died and won't turn on and I have a retail version of windows ten on it and I want to transfer it to a laptop that my friend gave... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Franklyaries, Jun 19, 2021.

1. I want to transfer my retail version of windows 10 from my dead computer to a laptop with a...

My desktop computer died and won't turn on and I have a retail version of windows ten on it and I want to transfer it to a laptop that my friend gave me with a forgotten password which also has windows 10 on it. The laptop my friend gave me had a n OEM version of windows 10...she told me she tried everything to get the laptop going but it wasn't in the cards. So, I want to put my retail version on it and I don't know how to do it...my desktop will turn on but won't boot....even to DOS.

:)

Franklyaries, Jun 19, 2021

2. Upgrade editions, retail versions and transfers

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find any definite answers.

I have a few concerns regarding the free upgrade because I'll want to update all our home computers (5 total). 3 of them are running Windows 8.1 Professional Retail version, one is running Windows 7 Professional and one Windows 8.1 Home Edition OEM.

• Can someone confirm the upgrade edition assumptions below are correct?
    • Windows 8.1 Professional Retail -> Windows 10 Professional Retail
    • Windows 8.1 Home OEM -> Windows 10 Home OEM
    • Windows 7 Professional Retail -> Windows 10 Professional Retail
    2. Regarding the Windows 10 Professional Retail (once upgraded), are you able to transfer the OS to a different computer if needed like I'd be right now? Meaning you de-activate on current machine and then install / activate on second machine?

3. I also have a Surface 2 RT. Will there be an upgrade available for this too?

Thanks

Ales Potocnik Hahonina, Jun 19, 2021
  3. sabgenton Win User
    Has anyone moved the free windows 10 'Retail version' to another PC successfully?

I read on a questions and answers thread on Microsofts website that the free Windows 10 becomes the type it was upgraded from (e.g retail version).

Other threads seem to conclude it still acts like an OEM even in the case of the retail version binding only to the hardware it was first installed on.

Has anybody managed to reinstall Windows 10 on a new computer upgraded from a retail windows, or did it lock to the First hardware?

The EULA states "you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you" so it looks possible ...

Steps to try:

• Install windows 7/8.1 retail on machine A
    • Upgrade to windows 10 for free.
    • Uninstall windows completely from machine A
    • Install the same windows 7/8 retail on machine B
    • Upgrade to windows 10 again (here's hoping)

If someone has already done the first to steps feel free to try see if it works!

I personally don't want to try the first to steps just in case I can't transfer it after if anyone has done this or has some insight please let me know.

sabgenton, Jun 19, 2021
  4. I want to transfer my retail version of windows 10 from my dead computer to a laptop with a...

Andre Da Costa, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

I want to transfer my retail version of windows 10 from my dead computer to a laptop with a...

1. I want to transfer my retail version of windows 10 from my dead computer to a laptop with a... - Similar Threads - transfer retail version

2. How do i transfer my windows 10 pro retail license windows store from a dead pc to this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i transfer my windows 10 pro retail license windows store from a dead pc to this...: My old laptop windows 10 with a pro key bought at Microsoft Store died. How do i transfer that license to this Windows 10 Home Edition pc?thanks...
  3. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version: need to move windows 10 from Mac to a new one. It is a retail copy - is there a simple way of doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-computer-retail-version/191c7e13-ac27-4ba8-a997-191c9610e2a7
  4. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version: need to move windows 10 from Mac to a new one. It is a retail copy - is there a simple way of doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-computer-retail-version/191c7e13-ac27-4ba8-a997-191c9610e2a7
  5. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Transferring Retail digital licence assigned to my MS user id from dead computer to...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Retail digital licence assigned to my MS user id from dead computer to...: I have bought a replacement used pc which I need to activate a clean install of Windows 10 on.I have a Retail transferable licence which should auto transfer surely as the replacement pc is now the only device associated with my user id.When I run the trouble-shooter I get...
  7. Transfer my Windows Pro from Dead computer to the replacement

Transfer my Windows Pro from Dead computer to the replacement: I purchased a surface pro from the MOA Microsoft store. on 3/10/20 last last week it died and wont boot up. with the store closed i had to call this issue in. they sent out a replacement but came with the Home version. i need to transfer my Pro to the new computer. or...
  8. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer: I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer. Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer. Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key Many thanks Charlie #&...
  9. transferring Windows from dead computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring Windows from dead computer: I bought a retail version of Windows for my computer 4 years ago. I did a free update to Windows Pro & it refers to my having Windows 10 Pro on the Microsoft website. Now my old computer has died & I can't access anything. When I build my new computer, I am wondering if I...
  10. Windows 10 transfer from dead computer

Windows 10 transfer from dead computer: I have a laptop which had Windows 10 installed (probably from an upgrade from 8 or 7) and a PC running Windows 7. The laptop's HDD has partially crashed. Is there any way I can transfer the Win 10 licence from the laptop to the PC? Can I boot the laptop into DOS or something...