Windows 10: I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died

Discus and support I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; hey everyone. I think I'm getting ready to embark on my first virtualization. I had a laptop running windows 7 (upgraded from windows vista) and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by seanincali, Mar 25, 2019.

1. I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died

hey everyone.

I think I'm getting ready to embark on my first virtualization. I had a laptop running windows 7 (upgraded from windows vista) and it died.

So I put the hard drive in an enclosure and connected it to my new laptop running windows 10.

I've heard that if i were to virtualize the windows 7 hard drive using windows 10, then I can run the windows 7 hard and its application as if running windows 7 itself.

Is that right?

Anyway my other question was that let's say i do virtualize the windows 7 hard drive and save it to my windows 10 hard drive. What happens to the windows 7 hard drive itself?

Can I move the virtualized windows 7 hard drive content back to the windows 7 hard drive once it's been virtualized?

I think there has to be a way to do that otherwise, I have two copies of the windows 7 hard drive contents.

I need some help in understanding this. Thanks for any tips.

:)

seanincali, Mar 25, 2019
  2. little cat, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Windows 7 machine died, so I put the hard drive in an enclosure, but it won't let me access the home folder

My windows 7 laptop died today, so I decided to put the hard drive into an enclosure and connected it to a windows 10 laptop.

What I was hoping to do to is to use the windows 7 hard drive and its OS as a standalone OS on top of the windows 10.

I recall being able to do this with windows xp and windows vista, when my windows xp laptop died and the hard drive in an enclosure was connected to windows vista laptop.

is this possible with windows 7 hard drive in enclosure connected to windows 10 laptop?

Can I run the application on the windows 7 hard drive as if it's running the windows 7 off the hard drive in the enclosure connected to the windows 10 laptop?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I don't know where to put this question, so I'm choosing windows 10, windows update, recovery and backup section.

seann_cali, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Noor_Azam Win User

I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died

Unable to create virtual hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you are trying to create a virtual machine, you can try creating a virtual hard disk manually by using PowerShell command and check if that helps.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to create virtual hard disk.

• Type PowerShell in the Windows start menu.
    • Right click on PowerShell and select run as administrator.
    • Please enter this command New-VHD "C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\Drive1.vhdx" –size 60GB –dynamic
      and hit enter key. (Note: you can change the size of the virtual hard drive according to your requirement)
    • Open Disk Management.
    • Click on Action and select
      Attach VHD.​
    • Click on Browser and navigate to the location
      C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines and select drive1 and click on
      Open.​
    • Click on OK.​
    • Now, right click on Disk 1 and select
      Initialize Disk.​
    • Select the Type of partition you want to use and click on
      OK.​
    • Now, right click on unallocated space and click on
      New Simple Volume.​
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to assign a
      drive letter.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in TechNet
    forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge to create virtual machines.

Hope it helps.

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Noor_Azam, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died

1. I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died - Similar Threads - virtualize hard drive

2. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...: My old laptop died before I could get the files off it. I have the 2.5 SSD 256 GB SATA hard drive in hard drive enclosure - should I be able to use file explorer to transfer the files - or it is there something else I need to do. first. The new laptop is Windows 11, the old...
  3. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...: My old laptop died before I could get the files off it. I have the 2.5 SSD 256 GB SATA hard drive in hard drive enclosure - should I be able to use file explorer to transfer the files - or it is there something else I need to do. first. The new laptop is Windows 11, the old...
  4. Old laptop died and I want to get the files off the hard drive - It does not show in file...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. dying hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dying hard drive: My hard drive is dying. Several times each week, it crashes and I get an error message "Hard drive failure. Press F1 to reboot". Sometimes F1 works, sometimes I need to power off and restart, and sometimes I have to boot from a rescue CD. I want to buy a new hard drive and...
  6. Virtual Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Hard Drives: Does creating a virtual hard drive through Computer Management actually give extra storage space? I'm pretty sure its just like creating a partition for the hard drive, and just takes up space on the physical hdd. Just need some clarification because my friend thinks it works...
  7. Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping Hard Drives from Laptop 10 to Windows 7 Laptop: I am not sure if the other posts mention anything like this before but: Recently, my Wins10 laptop malfunction and I am not sure exactly how; laptop made beeps relating to CMOS battery (fixed) and cannot read hard drive (or something; not fixed). Anyhow, I acquired another...
  8. I want to virtualize the hard rive from windows 7 laptop which died.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    I want to virtualize the hard rive from windows 7 laptop which died.: hey everyone. I think I'm getting ready to embark on my first virtualization. I had a laptop running windows 7 (upgraded from windows vista) and it died. So I put the hard drive in an enclosure and connected it to my new laptop running windows 10. I've heard that if i...
  9. Dying Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dying Hard Drive?: Over the past two weeks my hard drive has came to concluding evidence that it is dying and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it. Take a look at my Crystal Disk Info....
  10. Is my hard drive dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard drive dying?: My system has an SSD boot drive and a secondary internal hard drive. The hard drive is assigned drive letter E. I use it for general storage, downloads, etc. Starting today the system hangs at boot time on SATA Port 6 - which is where the hard drive is connected. If I...