Windows 10: I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings

Discus and support I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I tried googling this scenario but couldn't find anything, not sure if this has been discussed before. Anyway, I was blown away when I was able... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LaLaGe, Aug 6, 2019.

1. LaLaGe Win User

I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings

Hi,

I tried googling this scenario but couldn't find anything, not sure if this has been discussed before.

Anyway, I was blown away when I was able to login to a co-workers laptop not even knowing his password or even knowing about this "exploit"(?).

Here's what I did,

• Opened the laptop, the user was logged out as the laptop awoke from sleep mode.
    • I noticed that the laptop was not connected to the internal wifi network.
    • I opened the little wifi tab at the bottom of the login screen and selected our internal wifi network.
    • I was then prompted by a security message saying something in the lines of "You need to update your account (and/or) wifi password"
    • I was given the option to set a new password, without having to enter the old one, I thought it would never work or prompt me to enter the old one at a later stage.
    • I was so surprised to find out that it accepted my new password, connected to the wifi network, and then I was able to use this password to login to the co-workers user account in windows.

So via the wifi/network connection panel I was able to update the users password and login to his laptop. We have a 90 day password policy so I assume his password had expired and that's the reason it prompted me to update the password.

But I never expected to be able to do it without having the old password. It basically gave me total access to his account and PC without any questions what so ever. Even a very inexperienced user could happen upon this scenario and "accidentally" gain access to another co-workers account.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the scenario because I don't have access to accounts where the password has expired and wifi networks using windows/ad logins.

Any ideas on this, anyone experienced similar situations? Unless this was a once in a lifetime bug, it's quite the security risk, don't you think?

PS! Before anyone asks I was given authorization from my co-worker to login to his PC since he needed a document from there, I did not try to gain access without permission.

:)

LaLaGe, Aug 6, 2019
  2. flycaster Win User

Help with changing wifi password?

So are you saying that I should enter my "PW" into the field and then I will get to the wifi or wireless settings page?

flycaster, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Change the password for a user account in Windows 10

Hello,

I request you to try the below steps:

• Press "Windows logo" + "R" in the keyboard.
    • Type "netplwiz" and press Enter key.
    • Select the user and click on Reset password.
    • Now you will be able to change the password.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Aug 6, 2019
  4. I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings

Phone won't connect if I change wifi password

This post states that you did'nt Apply the router config after changing the password.

Possible the router memory is bad or not saving new setting
    Change the password reboot the router , check after in router if new password saved
    If not, reset router to factory default and re setup
    check if setting saved after reboot

If do change router password the network will need to be deleted off phone and connect again (or it trying to connect to old saved wifi password ) or could manually change it on phone and save ( as others have stated )

home network
    Wlan
    Configure

Change password and apply , Make sure "Allow new Devices - set to -new stations are allowed (automatically) "

Using same router myself , Free from ISP not the greatest at all *Wink I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings ;)

SnakeDoctor, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings

1. I was able to change password on a Windows user through wifi settings - Similar Threads - was able change

2. I am not able to change the user account password . It is showing access denied.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am not able to change the user account password . It is showing access denied.: I am not able to change the user account password . It is showing access denied. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-not-able-to-change-the-user-account-password/73da5a52-029f-4a6d-8e7b-a1b722588cc9
  3. I am not able to change the user account password . It is showing access denied.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am not able to change the user account password . It is showing access denied.: I am not able to change the user account password . It is showing access denied. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-not-able-to-change-the-user-account-password/73da5a52-029f-4a6d-8e7b-a1b722588cc9
  4. Windows users password setting have started changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows users password setting have started changing: In the last two days we have had several laptop uses whos Password setting are changing to user must change PW on next login. this setting when laptop is configured and give to our students is turn of and the user cannot change password is turned on. We have had the setting...
  5. Windows users password setting have started changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows users password setting have started changing: In the last two days we have had several laptop uses whos Password setting are changing to user must change PW on next login. this setting when laptop is configured and give to our students is turn of and the user cannot change password is turned on. We have had the setting...
  6. Windows users password setting have started changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Change of WiFi password

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change of WiFi password: I have two printers connected wirelessly to my computer via WiFi.If I change the WiFi password, is there a way to update the password in the printers or do I need re-install the printers?Thanks...
  8. Not able to change password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not able to change password: I want to change the windows hello pin in my laptop Microsoft Go but it says option not available, and when i try to fix it it asks me personal info to "keep it secured" How do I change my passcode?...
  9. Not able to connect to the internet through WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to connect to the internet through WiFi: Good morning. Last night I was working by connecting the laptop to the internet through phone. All of a sudden it was disconnected and from that time I am not able to see the available devices in my network option. Only the Airplane mode is there. Please have a look:...
  10. Not able to change existing password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not able to change existing password: Hello All, I forgot my old windows 10 password, so could someone explain how to change old windows 10 password Please note my system is not locked by password but in setting windows don't have forgot password option. Regards, chandan.s...