Windows 10: I wish to re-install Windows 10, which partitions do i have to remove beforehand?

Discus and support I wish to re-install Windows 10, which partitions do i have to remove beforehand? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A recent issue where i suffered a "Blue Screen" during a Windows Update made it unbootable, so i wish to reinstall it. However, there are certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ViníciusMânica, Mar 2, 2021.

1. I wish to re-install Windows 10, which partitions do i have to remove beforehand?

A recent issue where i suffered a "Blue Screen" during a Windows Update made it unbootable, so i wish to reinstall it.

However, there are certain partitions i want to maintain, so i cannot simply do a clean install. Currently my partitions are similar to the following:

1. Windows EFI boot partition FAT32
    2. Windows Recovery Partition
    3. C: Drive NTFS
    4. Windows Fallback Partition made itself when to try, unsuccessfully, to recover my installation
    5. D: Drive NTFS
    6. Linux EFI boot partition FAT32
    7. Arch-Linux partition ext4

I wish to maintain at least my D: Drive and my Linux partitions.

So, for me to reinstall Windows 10, do i:

1. Need to delete some of my partitions beforehand to have enough space, or will i be prompted to to so in the installer?
    2. In order to reinstall it, do i need to only delete my C: Drive, or do i also need to delete my boot partition?

:)

ViníciusMânica, Mar 2, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Carsomyr Win User
    Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Mar 2, 2021
  4. I wish to re-install Windows 10, which partitions do i have to remove beforehand?

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

I wish to re-install Windows 10, which partitions do i have to remove beforehand?

1. I wish to re-install Windows 10, which partitions do i have to remove beforehand? - Similar Threads - wish install partitions

2. I have two Windows RE tools partitions. Do I need both?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have two Windows RE tools partitions. Do I need both?: After a problem installing a recent Windows 10 update, I had to reconfigure my Windows Re tools partition and somehow have ended up with two:Drive E is 570MB with used space of 17.8MB and 553MB of free spaceDrive F is 54GB with used space of 142MB and 53.8GB of free space.Do...
  3. Which partitions do I need to delete in order to install windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which partitions do I need to delete in order to install windows 10?: I want to install it on drive 1 which is my ssd but do I need to delete all partitions in that drive or should I keep the recovery and mrs partitions?...
  4. Which partitions do I need to delete in order to install windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which partitions do I need to delete in order to install windows 10?: I want to install it on drive 1 which is my ssd but do I need to delete all partitions in that drive or should I keep the recovery and mrs partitions?...
  5. Which partitions do I need to delete in order to install windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. I want to REMOVE WINDOWS SONIC. I wish to use DTS AUDIO. I DO NOT WISH TO ENABLE WINDOWS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to REMOVE WINDOWS SONIC. I wish to use DTS AUDIO. I DO NOT WISH TO ENABLE WINDOWS...: When I select DTS Audio, and then launch a game, Windows reverts me to Windows Sonic. I must exit my game, enable DTS Audio again, then relaunch the game. Sometimes it stays on DTS Audio until a reboot, sometimes next time I launch a game it reverts to Windows Sonic. I...
  7. How do I select which partition to install Windows 10 on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I select which partition to install Windows 10 on?: Previously, I had a dual boot system on one SSD w/ MacOS (Partition A) and Windows 10 (Partition B) on my ThinkPad. Partition A (Mac) was assigned to the left of Partition B (Win10), meaning that, now that I've wiped Partition A (Mac), I cannot extend Partition B (which I...
  8. On which partition do I have to install Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    On which partition do I have to install Windows?: I'm not sure what to choose. [ATTACH] https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/auf-welcher-partition-muss-ich-windows-installieren
  9. On which partition should I install Windows 10?

On which partition should I install Windows 10?: I recently faced a serious booting issue. I was unable to reset or restore my PC since there were no restore points available. And I don't wanna lose my personal data. So I decided to custom install windows and then recover my files from Windows.old folder. I booted with...
  10. How do I re-install Windows with or without recovery partition?

How do I re-install Windows with or without recovery partition?: Hello, I accidentally installed grub onto my windows partition and erased the whole thing while trying to perform a Linux install. My laptop shipped with win 8, but I upgraded it to win 10 a few months ago. Now, there are no operating systems detected. I am using a dell...