Windows 10: I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...

Discus and support I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Initially, laptops had C and D drives. I took a little bit off of them and made the E and F drives. However, after a lot of time, the C drive space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jiyeon Gim, Dec 2, 2023.

1. I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...

Initially, laptops had C and D drives. I took a little bit off of them and made the E and F drives. However, after a lot of time, the C drive space became insufficient. So I wanted to merge my unused E drive into C drive. So I searched on the Internet and got a response telling me to extend C drive after deleting E drive. So I deleted E drive. However, when I right-clicked to expand the C drive, the expand button was disabled. I also tried extending other drives, namely D and F. D is disabled, F is expandable. But I need to expand C drive. How can I extend C drive? The file system of C and F i

:)

Jiyeon Gim, Dec 2, 2023
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 2, 2023
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    If I reset my laptop will I lose files that are stored in a partition separate from the partition Windows is installed in?

If you format only the C partition, no other partition is affected. If you format the entire hard drive then every partition on the drive is affected.

There's really no need to format your system partition as a separate step if you want to go back to Windows 8. If you're doing a clean install or a factory restore, the system partition is formatted at the beginning of the process.

I'd like to suggest you consider keeping your data files in a separate partition, like the one you setup. There's a great advantage to doing this, as you have found: If you need to restore your software, your data isn't touched.

All that said, backing up is always a good idea. You should be doing it every day.

BulldogXX, Dec 2, 2023
  4. Dia01 Win User

I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Dec 2, 2023
Thema:

I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...

1. I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How... - Similar Threads - rejoin drive partitions

2. i would like to have a separate drive on my surface laptop 5 to store all my photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i would like to have a separate drive on my surface laptop 5 to store all my photos: i would like to have a separate drive on my surface 5 laptop to store my photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-would-like-to-have-a-separate-drive-on-my/74e5a697-16eb-4ce9-88be-580ce62b310a
  3. I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...: Initially, laptops had C and D drives. I took a little bit off of them and made the E and F drives. However, after a lot of time, the C drive space became insufficient. So I wanted to merge my unused E drive into C drive. So I searched on the Internet and got a response...
  4. I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I would like to rejoin drive partitions that were separated in the past. But I failed. How...: Initially, laptops had C and D drives. I took a little bit off of them and made the E and F drives. However, after a lot of time, the C drive space became insufficient. So I wanted to merge my unused E drive into C drive. So I searched on the Internet and got a response...
  5. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  6. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  7. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to rejoin SSD that split into two drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to rejoin SSD that split into two drives?: I've been trying to reset my laptop and the first time it failed and bricked so I had to download the windows media and reinstall windows from there. Everything's fine and dandy but I see another 30gb drive separate from my main two(500 and 1tb nvmes). It's crippling the...
  9. Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?: Hello, I have my HDD now in MBR format and I tried to convert it to GPT but mbr2gpt didn't work, I get fail to validate disk every time and hence can't convert to GPT. It's OK, but now I divided my HDD into 5 partitions just for more sense to category of files, each in a...
  10. Data on separate partition or drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...