Windows 10: i5-8400 - Asus B360M-A Temperature tests

Discus and support i5-8400 - Asus B360M-A Temperature tests in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HEllo again ! This morning was heat testing time for my processor, to see if everything cools fine.. so I tried a couple of things to stress the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by windowz123, Mar 29, 2020.

1. i5-8400 - Asus B360M-A Temperature tests

HEllo again !

This morning was heat testing time for my processor, to see if everything cools fine.. so I tried a couple of things to stress the processor.

First of all, I use the stock Intel heat sink and fan that came with the i5-8400 and on the Intel page, it's written that the processor can go as high at TJUNCTION 100c.

I read a couple of threads about CPU temperature but it's still not clear for me, what would be the safest temperature spot to be at full power and if the processor will really manage the heat by slowing down on purpose to protect itself against over heating.

FIRST TEST: Linux "Stress" application.

I ran that one for 20, 30, 45 and 60 seconds. It will push all the 6 cores at 100% and the CPU fan will rev at maximum speed, the temperature will reach close to 100 celcius for almost all the cores the others will be at around 97, the computer won't shut down.

I think the CPU is slowing itself to remain around 97, 96 Celsius but I am not sure.

Then I tried an application called HandBrake to rip and encode an entire DVD. That test was a bit different, only 3 or 4 cores were used and the top maximum power for these cores was around 80%. The temperature of all the 6 cores was around 97 and 100 celcius again, for about 10 minutes or so, the time it took to encode the entire DVD.

I checked the turbo boost speed and the cores frequency were variable but all equal at around 3100mhz and 3600 mhz, which looks normal.

It appears to me that the processor is not allowing temperature or the cores to exceed 100 Celsius, but at the same time, according to what I have read, it could be too high... so it's confusing a bit.

I've looked at the thermal paste, everything looks normal, I had to wipe off 1/8" of it at the top border of the CPU to prevent it to eventually run under the CPU.. but apart from that, the paste looked ok as well as the amount used (It came attached to the heat sink, it's was factory paste installation on the heat sink.)

The fan is well attached to the motherboard, the computer won't shut down and the idle temperature of the processor always drops to something around 30 Celsius, perhaps 1 or 2 minutes after the stress test.

I rarely use the processor at 100% but I am still concerned about these temperatures close to 100% during heavy computing tasks.

What do you think?

:)

windowz123, Mar 29, 2020

2. Computer upgrade from i3 4130 to i5 8400 (or else)

Yeah!!

I am saving myself problems and money, plus it's going to cut it with my virtual machines, I looked at the benchmarks between the old CPU and this new one, the number are much higher for the i5.

I will get the ASUS B360M-A Micro-ATX and I just checked the bios specs for that processor i5-8400

According to the website the i5-8400 needs a 0222 bios revision, I guess that a 2020 motherboard should take it directly without flashing?

PRIME B360M-A CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS Global

windowz123, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Computer upgrade from i3 4130 to i5 8400 (or else)

Thanks for the info Pejole2165 that's very motivating, sounds like you've hit the best quality and price with that processor, I am glad to hear that. I am one step closer to pulling the trigger on it.

windowz123, Mar 29, 2020
  4. i5-8400 - Asus B360M-A Temperature tests

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Smokes Core i5-8400 at iGPU Performance

List of people who buy the six-core i5 8400 to game on its iGPU:

dj-electric, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

i5-8400 - Asus B360M-A Temperature tests

1. i5-8400 - Asus B360M-A Temperature tests - Similar Threads - 8400 Asus B360M

2. CPU Intel i5-6600 fails TPM Health Check Test

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Intel i5-6600 fails TPM Health Check Test: The Windows PC Health Check test found my Intel i5-6600 CPU not TPM 2.0 supported, All other requirements were OKchecked. How do I find a CPU that is acceptable for Microsoft TPM 2.0 that will allow me to do an upgrade on my ASUS Z170 Pro MB?...
  3. CPU Intel i5-6600 fails TPM Health Check Test

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU Intel i5-6600 fails TPM Health Check Test: The Windows PC Health Check test found my Intel i5-6600 CPU not TPM 2.0 supported, All other requirements were OKchecked. How do I find a CPU that is acceptable for Microsoft TPM 2.0 that will allow me to do an upgrade on my ASUS Z170 Pro MB?...
  4. Gpu temperature

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gpu temperature: I checked max temperature for nvidia gtx 1050ti and i7 8th gen and I found out that max temperature for gpu is 97 degrees and cpu is 100 degrees . Then i observed that the temperature recorded while playing Star wars: the fallen order was 89-90 degrees for gpu and 90-95...
  5. Intel Core-i3 2350M 2nd Gen temperature test with Arctic MX4.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Intel Core-i3 2350M 2nd Gen temperature test with Arctic MX4.: [img] Are these temperatures good or are they high? The ambient room temp is about 20 degress celcius. Thank you in advance for any help. 139505
  6. Windows 10 USB installation on Gigabyte B360M DS3H

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 USB installation on Gigabyte B360M DS3H: I've recently purchased a flash drive for Windows 10 Home Edition to install on my completely new out of the box PC. I'm using a B360M DS3H motherboard and every time I try to load the files for set-up on the boot manager I get the Windows logo for a second and straight to an...
  7. bug color temperature asus splendid windows 10

bug color temperature asus splendid windows 10: plug in and unplug usb, turn on and off bluetooth, connect and disconnect wifi, random time. it all make color temperature a little blue. problem because windows update (KB4458469 or KB4230204). i know the problem of windows update becouse i alrady reinstall windows and see...
  8. i5 6400 Skylake reporting low temperatures

i5 6400 Skylake reporting low temperatures: Hello, I builded a pc a not so long time ago, and I noticed the CPU temperatues are quite low between 5 - 12 degrees. When I opened a game (Dirt 3) the temperatures jumped up to around 15 degrees, but is it possible that the cpu heat sensor is defect? I mean it is good to...
  9. geforce 8400 gs supported in win 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    geforce 8400 gs supported in win 10: NVIDIA GPUs Supported Under Windows 10 | NVIDIA anyway, my issue is device manager says can not enable-start the 8400gs till i reboot pc. It always says this even after many reboots. So I installed from nvidia download and installer has hung on shadow play. What do...
  10. i5-6400 @ 30°C - temperature malfunction?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    i5-6400 @ 30°C - temperature malfunction?: Hi, Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. I built this custom build a while back in October of 2016. My concern is that the cpu never goes over 60°C even while playing games (skyrim/csgo).Also the cpu sits around 30°C when browsing or doing some work...