Windows 10: Icacls command usage ?

Discus and support Icacls command usage ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anyone familier with the Icacls command ? I want to do is make strictly a sub-folder located in Program Files have write access, then turn it off,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JerometheGiraff, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Icacls command usage ?

Anyone familier with the Icacls command ?

I want to do is make strictly a sub-folder located in Program Files have write access, then turn it off, either if possible, via a timer which I don't think is possible with the command. Or manually turn off write access.

I understand the first part of the command; the grant command is where I get lost ?

:)

JerometheGiraff, Dec 25, 2015

2. When I try to save, copy, or create a new file in my D & C Drive both I am getting this error Error 0x80070522 Arequired Privilege is not held bt the Client

Type this in command prompt:

icacls d:\

and

icacls c:\

What does it show?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 25, 2015
  3. Forcing Ownership of Multiple Registry Keys

Command Line tools . . .

setacl, icacls, etc.

Shenan Stanley, Dec 25, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Icacls command usage ?

To grant authority you could use this command. The (F) means Full rights, see icacls /? for other values, %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME% will automatically be replaced with details of the user running the command Code: takeown /f "C:\Program Files\Whatever" /r icacls "C:\Program Files\Whatever" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Icacls command usage ? :(F) /t[/quote] to remove this authority (the :g indicates explicit granted authorities for current user will be removed) Code: icacls "C:\Program Files\Whatever" /remove:g "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%" /t[/quote] You could put these commands in batch files and schedule them using task scheduler if you wanted (although I don't understand why you want to do this really so not sure this would be what you want)

5. I must first use the takeown command ? The /r flag is read-only ? I understand one must specify the user to grant access too, but two questions remain;
    How can I find the correct path for the user and or userdomain, if the userdomain is applicable on the computer ?
    What is the colon(F) do after the domain ?

JerometheGiraff, Dec 26, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    You may need to take ownership first - it depends on the initial authority. You can try icacls on its own - it will tell you if you aren't authorized.

If you enter %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME% it will be changed automatically to your user name (and domain or computer name) so you can enter the command as shown - you don't need to put in your name Code: C:\Windows\system32>echo %userdomain%\%username% WINDOWS-VM2\Hali C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] The (F) after the colon means full control. If you wanted different authorities you could change this - from icacls /? Code: perm is a permission mask and can be specified in one of two forms: a sequence of simple rights: N - no access F - full access M - modify access RX - read and execute access R - read-only access W - write-only access D - delete access a comma-separated list in parentheses of specific rights: DE - delete RC - read control WDAC - write DAC WO - write owner S - synchronize AS - access system security MA - maximum allowed GR - generic read GW - generic write GE - generic execute GA - generic all RD - read data/list directory WD - write data/add file AD - append data/add subdirectory REA - read extended attributes WEA - write extended attributes X - execute/traverse DC - delete child RA - read attributes WA - write attributes[/quote] So if you wanted to explicitly set write access only it would be Code: C:\Windows\system32>icacls "c:\temp" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Icacls command usage ? :(W) /t processed file: c:\temp Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] The /t at the end means apply to all files and folders contained in the specified path (rather than just the folder object itself).

7. I found out you can simply type icacls {name of directory} and icacls will list permissions etc, which worked on a simple directory, new to me probably not news to you *Smile

Ah alright *Smile

8. lx07 Win User

Icacls command usage ?

Sounds like you need to put the path in quotes "C:\Program Files(x86)\whatever\nested level you\want" as there is a space between the word 'Program' and the word 'Files'. It would therefore think that the path was C:\Program and files was a parameter.

If it is not this post the exact command you are trying..

EDIT - I seem to be replying to a question that is gone *Smile

9. Why must you put, for like in your example (W) in brackets ?

10. lx07 Win User
    It is the authority you are assigning. See post #4.

You shouldn't have to change authorities in Program Files directory normally - you must have some oddly written program...

11. I ran this command on a four level deep sub-folders within Program Files (x86)
    It worked although two errors for two files, how do I find what those two files are that created the error ?

I was able to successfully write to the sub-folder within Program Files (x86) and that is exactly what the command listed in the command prompt; although I realized, I was able to write to all the folders within Program Files (x86) instead of explicitly being granting access to only the four level deep sub-folder in Program Files (x86) ?

If I wanted to revert back to the previous privileges I must use the /remove command ?

I don't understand in the icacls help, /remove then :g & :d removes all occurrences of granted rights to the Sid ?

12. lx07 Win User
    if you had granted rights with /grant then you remove them with /remove:g

if you had set explicit deny rights with /deny you would remove them with /remove:d

13. Icacls command usage ?

Correct; if so I'm getting a Invalid Parameter error !

14. lx07 Win User
    If that is what you entered it is not correct. You haven't specified who you are trying to remove the authority for. You need to enter it exactly as in post #2.

For example adding full control (commands in bold) using %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME% adds the current user (shown in red after granting the authority and displaying it) Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.11082] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>mkdir "C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test" C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Icacls command usage ? :(F) /t processed file: C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test" C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test WINDOWS-VM2\HaliIcacls command usage ? :(F) NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerIcacls command usage ? :(I)(F) NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerIcacls command usage ? :(I)(CI)(IO)(F) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMIcacls command usage ? :(I)(F) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsIcacls command usage ? :(I)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) BUILTIN\UsersIcacls command usage ? :(I)(RX) BUILTIN\UsersIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) CREATOR OWNERIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGESIcacls command usage ? :(I)(RX) APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGESIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files[/quote] now remove again and specify the same user the current user that was in red is then removed. Code: C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test" /remove:g "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%" /t processed file: C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test" C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerIcacls command usage ? :(I)(F) NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerIcacls command usage ? :(I)(CI)(IO)(F) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMIcacls command usage ? :(I)(F) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsIcacls command usage ? :(I)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) BUILTIN\UsersIcacls command usage ? :(I)(RX) BUILTIN\UsersIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) CREATOR OWNERIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGESIcacls command usage ? :(I)(RX) APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGESIcacls command usage ? :(I)(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files[/quote] Without saying from whom you want to remove the rights for you'll get an error. Code: C:\Windows\system32>icacls "C:\Program Files\Test\Test\Test" /remove:g Invalid parameter "/remove:g" C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

15. A week ago I couldn't write to Program Files or Program Files (x86) even after providing the admin password. Yet,I only applied icacls to Program Files (x86) but I can write to Program Files as well by simply providing the Admin password as I run Windows10 as a standard user; this doesn't make sense.

Can you by default write to Program Files or Program Files (x86) ?

Thema:

Icacls command usage ?

1. Icacls command usage ? - Similar Threads - Icacls command usage

2. icacls fails on malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icacls fails on malwarebytes: Windows 10 Pro Workgroupicacls "c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware" /grant everyone:f /t /cc:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\suhlpr.dll: Access is denied. c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\Swissarmy.dll: Access is denied. c:\program...
  3. icacls fails on malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    icacls fails on malwarebytes: Windows 10 Pro Workgroupicacls "c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware" /grant everyone:f /t /cc:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\suhlpr.dll: Access is denied. c:\program files\malwarebytes\anti-malware\Swissarmy.dll: Access is denied. c:\program...
  4. icacls fails on malwarebytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. icacls command to grant only List folder content to an user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icacls command to grant only List folder content to an user: Hi there, I have a main Budget folder that will keep sub-folders for each Department, eg Dept1, Dept2 etc Dept users can only read/write in their own Dept folders. eg. UserA can read and write in Dept1 folder only. To achieve this, I believe I have to grant all users to just...
  6. Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Takeown, icacls doesn't work!: I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need administrator permissions, while i am on full admin account! It says exactly: "you need permission to perform this action, you...
  7. Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

in Windows 10 Support
    Takeown, icacls doesn't work!: I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need administrator permissions, while i am on full admin account! It says exactly: "you need permission to perform this action, you...
  8. what icacls command gives administrative privileges in command prompt to use with DISM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what icacls command gives administrative privileges in command prompt to use with DISM?: I was using System restore with windows 10 when it crashed, all I can access now is the blue screens with the last one giving me the option of Advanced and on that Command Prompt. I cannot get anything else to work at all and its looking bleak. I have seen that the icacls...
  9. icacls remove user variable

in Windows 10 Support
    icacls remove user variable: Does anyone know how to use a variable for the user name to remove from file permissions using the icacls or some other command? I'm trying to get a command to use for this to have a remove "Account Unknown" context menu to make it easier to remove them. "Account Unknown*"...
  10. icacls problem

in Windows 10 Support
    icacls problem: Hi I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit. I noticed that the icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /inheritance:e /Q /T /C /L command, applied to the home directory of a directory structure, is run only the first level of the structure. Why? How do I run it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icacls usage

2. windows icacls usage