Windows 10: ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable?

Discus and support ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a document management system on a Windows Server 2019 system NTFS filesystem that holds many PDF documents. The DM is organized by subject... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ken Morley kmorley, Jun 15, 2021.

1. ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable?

We have a document management system on a Windows Server 2019 system NTFS filesystem that holds many PDF documents. The DM is organized by subject customer name, vendor name, etc. with sub-folders for each individual year as in the following example:\\SRV-DOCUMENTS\DM\Vendors\Contoso: + 2019+ 2020+ 2021New documents are added to the current year sub-folders. Previous year sub-folders are historical and should never change again. All folders and files are currently owned by the domain administrator. All folders must allow read for all users. Other than that, we want to lock down the pe

:)

Ken Morley kmorley, Jun 15, 2021

2. Folder Permissions not working on some folders

As found in this ServerFault answer, try with the following steps to change ownership and permission on many files and folders in one batch from command line:

• Open a Command Prompt "As Administrator"
    • Run the following commands:

takeown /f YourDrive:\YourFolder /r /d y

icacls YourDrive:\YourFolder /grant administrators:F /T

HTH

PiscopoGiuseppe, Jun 15, 2021
  3. Depth Win User
    Help!! Can not delete folder

Code: ICACLS D:\anime /remove:d username /C ICACLS D:\anime /grant username:F /C erase D:\anime[/quote] It's been years since I touched access lists but the above should work from either your own username or as administrator. If not, you can start in safe mode and modify the folder ownership.

Depth, Jun 15, 2021
  4. ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable?

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jun 15, 2021
Thema:

ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable?

1. ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable? - Similar Threads - ICACLS permissions folder

2. Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need permission from owner to make changes to this folder: When I try to delete a folder, it says I need permission from [OWNER], but when I change the owner, it still says I need permission from the owner but it changes to whatever I changed the owner to. I’ve changed the owner to administrators and everyone, but it just doesn’t...
  3. You require permission to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 News
    You require permission to make changes to this folder: [IMG]If you see Folder Access Denied, You require permission to make changes to this folder error message while deleting the file(s) located inside a particular folder, this article will help you. You may also encounter the same error message while copying or deleting the...
  4. How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.: Hi, I've recently run an icacls command prompt, icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e as a workaround for the SeriousSam exploit. How do I reset or revert back the icacls default permissions to administrator rights?...
  5. icacls command to grant only List folder content to an user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icacls command to grant only List folder content to an user: Hi there, I have a main Budget folder that will keep sub-folders for each Department, eg Dept1, Dept2 etc Dept users can only read/write in their own Dept folders. eg. UserA can read and write in Dept1 folder only. To achieve this, I believe I have to grant all users to just...
  6. Leave the icon of folders with contents unchanged?

Leave the icon of folders with contents unchanged?: In Windows 10, you have the normal folder icons that change when the folder is full, so you can more or less see the files in it. Is there a way to prevent this icon change when the folder fills up? Icon von Ordner mit Inhalten unverändert lassen?
  7. Make Contents of Folder be an image

Make Contents of Folder be an image: I have an HP Pavillion laptop, and the recovery folder has no files, but the HP logo, and some text warning about the folder. How is it possible to hide the folder contents, and show a background image like the HP Recovery folder?...
  8. Contents of Folder

Contents of Folder: I am needing to be able to get a list of all of the files in a specific folder. Ultimately, I would like to transfer the list to an excel spreadsheet, but the only way I know of that "MAY" work is to print the file names to an Adobe file and then convert them over to an...
  9. Theme Slideshow folder unchangeable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Theme Slideshow folder unchangeable: I created a new theme and added a slideshow background. It worked fine. I then wanted to create a new theme with a different folder. No matter how I attempt to create that new theme, ie. many different starting points, the folder from the original theme seems to be locked in....
  10. icacls problem

in Windows 10 Support
    icacls problem: Hi I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit. I noticed that the icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /inheritance:e /Q /T /C /L command, applied to the home directory of a directory structure, is run only the first level of the structure. Why? How do I run it...