Windows 10: icacls problem

Discus and support icacls problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit. I noticed that the icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /inheritance:e /Q /T /C /L command, applied to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by balubeto, Jan 20, 2016.

1. balubeto Win User

icacls problem

Hi

I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit.

I noticed that the icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /inheritance:e /Q /T /C /L command, applied to the home directory of a directory structure, is run only the first level of the structure. Why?

How do I run it automatically in all the levels below?
    I also noticed that if I write the icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /reset /Q /T /C /L command, it goes in a loop. Why? What should I write in order to avoid this?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Jan 20, 2016

2. When I try to save, copy, or create a new file in my D & C Drive both I am getting this error Error 0x80070522 Arequired Privilege is not held bt the Client

Type this in command prompt:

icacls d:\

and

icacls c:\

What does it show?

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 20, 2016
  3. Global Change File Permissions AND Users in One Folder?

Matt,

Try this:

icacls D:\Wav_Songs\*.wav /remove "NULL SID" /T

icacls D:\Wav_Songs\*.wav /remove None /T

That will get rid of those bogus users.

icacls D:\Wav_Songs\*.wav /grant matticacls problem :(OI)(CI)F /T

icacls D:\Wav_Songs\*.wav /grant Administratorsicacls problem :(OI)(CI)F /T

icacls D:\Wav_Songs\*.wav /grant SYSTEMicacls problem :(OI)(CI)F /T

icacls D:\Wav_Songs\*.wav /grant Usersicacls problem :(OI)(CI)F /T

These will give full permissions to the specified users (see also note below).

takeown /R /F *.wav

takeown /R /F *.WAV

Take ownership of the files.

icacls * /T /grant matt:F

Do this when/because the above command did not work.

ManThisIsReallyBizarre, Jan 20, 2016
  4. balubeto Win User

icacls problem

Apparently, the commands

Code: takeown /F "<Home_directory_path>" /A /R /D S /SKIPSL icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /reset icacls "<Home_directory_path>" /reset /Q /C /T /L pushd "<Home_directory_path>" && ( rd /S /Q "<Home_directory_path>" 2>nul & popd )[/quote] reach my goal but the third command goes in loop and, to stop it, I have to press Ctrl+C. Why?

How do I do that the third command does not go in loop?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Jan 21, 2016
  5. balubeto Win User
    I think I found the best solution to remove a directory structure which also contains symbolic links and with ACLs managed by TrustedInstaller or Authenticated Users or System users:

Code: takeown /F "<Directory_path>" /A /R /D Y /SKIPSL >nul 2>&1 icacls "<Directory_path>" /reset icacls "<Directory_path>" /grant:r Administratorsicacls problem :(OI)(CI)F /inheritance:e /Q /C /T /L >nul 2>&1 pushd "<Directory_path>" && ( rd /S /Q "<Directory_path>" 2>nul & popd )[/quote] Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

icacls problem

1. icacls problem - Similar Threads - icacls problem

2. How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to reset Icacls access denied permissions back to Admin.: Hi, I've recently run an icacls command prompt, icacls %windir%\system32\config\*.* /inheritance:e as a workaround for the SeriousSam exploit. How do I reset or revert back the icacls default permissions to administrator rights?...
  3. icacls command to grant only List folder content to an user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icacls command to grant only List folder content to an user: Hi there, I have a main Budget folder that will keep sub-folders for each Department, eg Dept1, Dept2 etc Dept users can only read/write in their own Dept folders. eg. UserA can read and write in Dept1 folder only. To achieve this, I believe I have to grant all users to just...
  4. "Roger Blair" bad argument for icacls

"Roger Blair" bad argument for icacls: I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I had to uninstall and reinstall the Dropbox desktop app. After the installation, I found that I had to use the"icacls" command to fix the problem, The text of the command was "icacls "%USERPROFILE%\Dropbox / grant...
  5. ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable?

ICACLS permissions to make a folder and it's contents unchangeable?: We have a document management system on a Windows Server 2019 system NTFS filesystem that holds many PDF documents. The DM is organized by subject customer name, vendor name, etc. with sub-folders for each individual year as in the following...
  6. How do I use the icacls command in Windows 10 to not allow anyone to copy or paste my...

How do I use the icacls command in Windows 10 to not allow anyone to copy or paste my...: I have a flashdrive drive K that I want to share the files with people - with people only of my permission. The files will be machine readable for example many electronic pianos take and read flashdrives but I don't want people copying and pasting whatever I have to other...
  7. Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Takeown, icacls doesn't work!: I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need administrator permissions, while i am on full admin account! It says exactly: "you need permission to perform this action, you...
  8. Takeown, icacls doesn't work!

in Windows 10 Support
    Takeown, icacls doesn't work!: I own folder and i have full control. Yet i can't move it. It is folder in ProgramData of a program, which is taking a lot of space. It says i need administrator permissions, while i am on full admin account! It says exactly: "you need permission to perform this action, you...
  9. what icacls command gives administrative privileges in command prompt to use with DISM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what icacls command gives administrative privileges in command prompt to use with DISM?: I was using System restore with windows 10 when it crashed, all I can access now is the blue screens with the last one giving me the option of Advanced and on that Command Prompt. I cannot get anything else to work at all and its looking bleak. I have seen that the icacls...
  10. icacls remove user variable

in Windows 10 Support
    icacls remove user variable: Does anyone know how to use a variable for the user name to remove from file permissions using the icacls or some other command? I'm trying to get a command to use for this to have a remove "Account Unknown" context menu to make it easier to remove them. "Account Unknown*"...