Windows 10: iCloud for Windows not syncing photos and photo stream process with continuously excessive CPU

Discus and support iCloud for Windows not syncing photos and photo stream process with continuously excessive CPU in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I use iCloud for Windows to acquire photos shared by iPhone family members in iCloud Shared Albums - each named album which a family member has chosen... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Rob Harpoon, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Rob Harpoon Win User

iCloud for Windows not syncing photos and photo stream process with continuously excessive CPU

I use iCloud for Windows to acquire photos shared by iPhone family members in iCloud Shared Albums - each named album which a family member has chosen to share with me, becomes a named folder on the laptop and when working well, any photos shared by the family in those albums on any of their iPhones are captured from iCloud onto the PC - I then use Google Backup & Sync to subsequently push them back into the cloud into Google Photos to achieve a single consolidated family photo set - it all happens automatically when its working.

Unfortunately, Windows and/or Apple updates routinely breaks it - the symptoms are that photos don't appear in the Windows 10 folders and the ApplePhotoStream.exe process runs with 50% CPU continuously. Eventually a Windows and/or Apple update subsequently drops in and everything comes back to life. The October Windows update and/or Apple's v7.7 update broke my system a few days ago so I've decided to look for a fix this time and believe I've found it. If you've had similar issues you may want to try this fix.

I observed that when the ApplePhotoStream process is running (with excessive CPU) the Antimalware process is clocking a few percent CPU. If I kill ApplePhotoStream the Antimalware process goes quiet. It seems that Microsoft and Apple haven't got their act together. My fix is to include a number of exclusions for bona fide Apple software in Windows Security Centre:

Go into Windows Settings and select … Windows Security / Virus & Threat Protection / Virus & Threat Protection Settings / Exclusions and add the following exclusions - hey presto, it immediately kicks into life and folders/photos start populating on the PC - I'm pretty sure that this is the fix for intermittent iCloud for Windows failures that I've been experiencing over the last couple of years.

:)

Rob Harpoon, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Compguygo Win User

icloud sync photo stream

just the icloud for pc it has photo from photo stream and they are in the cloud with windows 8.1 I could see them and after up grade gone in all apps icloud/icloud photo

Compguygo, Oct 13, 2018
  3. John Vil Win User
    icloud photo library

Hello Don,

There may be several reasons why your iCloud photos are not showing up on your wife's user account. To assist you better with your concern regarding syncing iCloud, kindly answer the questions below:

• When did this problem start?
    • Is your iCloud up to date?
    • Have you tried syncing iCloud while logged in to your wife's account?

You may refer to this article for steps on how to setup iCloud on Windows. Kindly make sure that you are logged in to your wife's account when performing the steps:
    How to set up and use iCloud Photos on Windows 10.

We are looking forward for your reply.

John Vil, Oct 13, 2018
  4. justinmreina Win User

iCloud for Windows not syncing photos and photo stream process with continuously excessive CPU

Remove iCloud Photos from Devices and Drives View in File Explorer

thank you for this soln gogreen, much appreciated! Here is a quick summary for others if interested -

Reference:
    Steps:
    1. Open regedit (Win+R, "regedit")
    2. Enter key in address bar
    3. Deprecate key
      • Opt A. - delete
      • Opt B. - rename something different (e.g. prefix with "_")
    4. Close and re-open to observe result
    Key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}
    thanks! iCloud for Windows not syncing photos and photo stream process with continuously excessive CPU :)

justinmreina, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1. iCloud for Windows not syncing photos and photo stream process with continuously excessive CPU - Similar Threads - iCloud syncing photos

2. Photos app does not sync with People app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app does not sync with People app.: Ever since the most recent update (10-16-18), I am noticing that the Photo App, particularly the "People" function is all screwed up. I do NOT see images anymore above the names of each person. Plus, some of the people who I had previously Named are now showing up as "Add...
  3. Windows Photos

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Photos: Hi Microsoft! The technician of my laptop downgraded my windows pro to windows 10 home coz he told me that the pro causes bugs in my unit. Can I update the Windows Photos with the feature of creating video/movie in WIndows 10 Home? Thanks, Carmylle...
  4. Photos CPU usage - incredibly high.

Photos CPU usage - incredibly high.: For past couple months I'm trying to figure out why this application is consuming so much of my CPU time. I'm monitoring only two small folders. I excluded everything-all my libraries are not in the location monitored by Photos. There was new version as of yesterday ( I think...
  5. Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download...: I enabled Controlled Folder Access (Defender ransomware protection) in Windows 10 1 day ago. I saw some notification warnings saying various programs were blocked, iCloudPhotos being one them. iCloud tray icon also reported problems writing to its default location and that...
  6. iCloud Photos not downloading or showing up on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    iCloud Photos not downloading or showing up on Windows 10: [ATTACH] iCloud appears as an ideal way of sharing and viewing your Photos stored on Apple devices. The same can be downloaded and stored to a Windows PC from the iCloud Photo Library/My Photo Stream. However, some error can occur midway [...] This post iCloud Photos not...
  7. Windows Photos

Windows Photos: My Windows Photos app will not open any photos. It gives me an error message when I try to open them. I have tried restarting and applying updates, but to no avail. I have also tried opening just the app and it looks like it loads for a half a second, but then it...
  8. Windows explorer excessive CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer excessive CPU usage: My machine is WIN10, ran WPR on a clean boot, started recording right after cpu usage jumped. WPR log I appreciate any ideas anyone can offer....
  9. Windows Photos

Windows Photos: The Windows 10 Photos app always lowers the quality of pictures and photos whenever I open them in the app. I can't use them as wallpapers because they always seem to turn really grainy and low quality after being opened in Photos, and this is especially infuriating because I...
  10. Upload file for iCloud photos is missing

Upload file for iCloud photos is missing: After installing Win 10, my HP desktop has a fit at startup. Message slides rapidly in and out, saying 'Upload file for iCloud is missing' . Screen alternates with black screen several times. Tool bar disappears and re-appears a few times. Eventually, about 5 minutes or so,...