Windows 10: iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer

Discus and support iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but on both my machines I have had this. iCloud Photos icon comes up loads of times as you can see in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by charlie_martin86, Aug 4, 2020.

1. iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but on both my machines I have had this. iCloud Photos icon comes up loads of times as you can see in the picture I've attached. The number of thumbnails keeps increasing. When I uninstall, the icons remain there but the little colourful thumbnails go as there is no program to relate the icons to. It remained a problem after resetting the PC and reinstalling, and it's happened on a few different machines. Help - as it's really annoying me! Neither Apple nor Microsoft Support had any idea.

iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer e5e4bde1-bd1b-48c3-b2c7-e3d5218b90c7?upload=true.jpg

:)

charlie_martin86, Aug 4, 2020

2. Remove iCloud Photos from Devices and Drives View in File Explorer

thank you for this soln gogreen, much appreciated! Here is a quick summary for others if interested -

Reference:
    Steps:
    1. Open regedit (Win+R, "regedit")
    2. Enter key in address bar
    3. Deprecate key
      • Opt A. - delete
      • Opt B. - rename something different (e.g. prefix with "_")
    4. Close and re-open to observe result
    Key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{F0D63F85-37EC-4097-B30D-61B4A8917118}
    thanks! iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer :)

justinmreina, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Aug 4, 2020
  4. iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer

MANY iCloud Photos icons appearing in Explorer file directory. More generated every day. Folders are empty. No way to delete the icons.

I want to THANK @JackDaniels1171 for posting a solution on a related thread that helped me figure this out. I've edited his comments a bit to help others who may be suffering from this same, very frustrating problem.

As noted in my original post above, every time I logged in, a new iCloud Photos icon appeared in the left pane of my File Explorer directory. When it got to 28 entries, I screamed "Enough!" Here's what I ended up doing to fix it.

• I uninstalled iCloud for Windows.
    • I opened Regedit as Administrator.
    • I searched the registry for "iCloud Photos", matching the whole string.
    • The first result was located in this location.
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\

• This section of the registry contained many keys. There was one "iCloud Photos" key for each iCloud Photos folder appearing on the left side of my File Explorer directory listing, but there were also entries for
      other things that should be left as is.
      Be careful!
    • I resized the Regedit window in order to see the entire key so that I didn't inadvertently delete something I meant to keep.
    • In my case, there were 28 "iCloud Photos" key entries.
    • I carefully deleted each "iCloud Photos" key (and sub-keys) and moved on to the next "iCloud Photos" key. Sometimes the next key in the registry was an "iCloud Photos" key, but if not, I pressed F3 to locate the next one.
    • I kept careful track and deleted all 28 "iCloud Photos" keys in this section.
    • I pressed F3 again to search for the next entry. It was found in this section of the registry.
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\

• Like the previous section, this part of the registry included keys for iCloud Photos as well as
      other things.
    • There was one "iCloud Photos" key in the registry for each iCloud Photos folder appearing in my File Explorer directory listing.
    • I repeated the steps above to carefully delete each one.
    • I did NOT press F3 after deleting the last entry in this section. Instead, I closed all the branches in Regedit and went to the third section of the registry directly.
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\

• Like the other sections, this part of the registry included keys for iCloud Photos as well as
      other things.
    • After carefully deleting all of the "iCloud Photos" key entries,
      I went to the fourth section of the registry directly.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

• Like the other sections, this part of the registry included keys for iCloud Photos as well as
      other things.
    • I looked at the lengthy registry ID keys that I did NOT delete in the section above. I found a corresponding entry for each one in the keys listed in this section.
    • That left the "iCloud Photos" keys to be deleted. I counted them to make certain it was the same number that I had deleted in each of the previous three sections of the registry.
    • I deleted ONLY the "iCloud Photos" keys. I was
      very careful NOT to delete the keys corresponding to the things I kept in the prior section of the registry.
    • I exited Regedit and restarted my computer.
    • I checked my File Explorer directory and noted with delight that all of the unwanted iCloud Photos folders were gone. Yay!
    What I learned is this: For users who run
    both OneDrive and iCloud for Windows, every time the computer starts, iCloud logs in and OneDrive creates a new iCloud Photos folder in the File Explorer directory. By uninstalling iCloud for Windows, I eliminated the source of the problem. (I have
    better ways to back up and share my photos!) But, I still had to edit the registry to get rid of the accumulated pesky File Explorer directory entries.

All looks good now. Wherever you are, JackDaniels1171, THANK YOU!

Katemn1011, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer

1. iCloud Photos Icons/Thumbnails in File Explorer - Similar Threads - iCloud Photos Icons

2. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  3. JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG thumbnails associated with Photoshop show Photos icon - no thumbnail in file explorer: In File Explorer I can't see a thumbnail preview of a JPG file. I see an icon for MS Photos. Screen shots attached. I have cleared the thumbnail cache. Older jpgs have thumbnails, but those jpgs I created today I can only see the icon. Preview will not view these new files....
  4. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  5. File Explorer will only show icons on some photos, and thumbnails on others.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer will only show icons on some photos, and thumbnails on others.: In certain folders, some photos will only show as icons, when I'd like all of them to show as thumbnails. I have tried all the standard stuff; deselecting "always show icons, never thumbnails" in File Explorer, clearing thumbnails from C drive, etc. My job is very difficult...
  6. File Explorer will only show icons on some photos, and thumbnails on others.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer will only show icons on some photos, and thumbnails on others.: In certain folders, some photos will only show as icons, when I'd like all of them to show as thumbnails. I have tried all the standard stuff; deselecting "always show icons, never thumbnails" in File Explorer, clearing thumbnails from C drive, etc. My job is very difficult...
  7. remove icloud photos files from file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove icloud photos files from file explorer: remove iCloud photos files from file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-icloud-photos-files-from-file-explorer/3a74e97c-28a2-47fa-bb60-2a7362fb1ffc
  8. Delete iCloud photos from file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete iCloud photos from file explorer: Hello everyone, can some help me, how do i delete the icloud folders created in file explorer. I downloaded icloud for windows, had no luck accessing icloud photos. decided to log out and uninstall icloud windows but left with these in the file explorer, that I really...
  9. File Explorer Not Showing Photo Thumbnails

File Explorer Not Showing Photo Thumbnails: Hello, I'm beyond frustrated. I'm trying to batch delete a bunch of photos at once but my file explorer is not showing the thumbnails so I am having to open each file to see what they are. This is way too time consuming. I've already done a search and followed some...
  10. file explorer icloud photo detail

file explorer icloud photo detail: in window 10 file explorer, how do I get the detail view in the icloud photo download folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-icloud-photo-detail/742dcd64-5921-4e7b-a193-3a541aea2ef3"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icloud photo icon missing explorer