Windows 10: Icon Cache seems upset about something

Discus and support Icon Cache seems upset about something in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm having a bizarre issue with icons disappearing and displaying a "white page". I have deleted the icon cache multiple times and restarted explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/S4boost, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Icon Cache seems upset about something

I'm having a bizarre issue with icons disappearing and displaying a "white page".

I have deleted the icon cache multiple times and restarted explorer which seems to be a temporary fix. I have not done much more troubleshooting than that to see if there are certain behaviors that are contributing to this.

One thing I have noticed is that the icons seem to not disappear on the desktop, at least not that I have noticed. They do seem to disappear once I put them in a folder.

Here is some quick backstory. My PC is a gaming pc. I have a dedicated gaminh ssd that I am installing games to. The launchers (steam, epic games, battlenet) are installed to my boot drive. I primarily have the missing icons with the games and launchers. I would say it's about 50% of the apps missing their icons.

Any advice on how to go about permanently resolving this issue?

PC details: Ryzen 5 3600cpu MSI X570 Tomahawk Mobo Asus ROG Strix 2080ti OC Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3200 cl16 512gb m.2 nvme boot drive 1tb m.2 nvme dedicated game drive 4tb hdd archive Fresh install of windows 10 pro in September All suggested updates have been installed

submitted by /u/S4boost
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/S4boost, Dec 10, 2020

2. Unable to delete Icon cache.

Hi,

For us to narrow down your concern with deleting the icon cache, we would like to know the following:

• Are you experiencing the exact same issue as the original thread?
    • What exactly is happening every 3 weeks?
    • Are you getting any error messages? If so, what is the exact error message (screenshot is much appreciated)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, aside from the steps you have mentioned, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Dec 10, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Icon Cache seems upset about something

Icon Caching Problem

Folks,

I'm having an icon caching problem that I've not been able to solve. What precipitated this event was that I was trying to get Adobe Connect to work. From what I could tell Shockwave was having an argument with Windows 10. I've tried everything suggested on this board and others for fixing icon caching with no results. Short of reinstalling Windows, I'm out of ideas. I've tried:

1) System Restore
    2) Last good backup (the external hard drive that I was using for backups turned out to be corrupt and toast)
    3) Manually and using .bat files deleting and rebuilding icon cache files
    4) Increasing via regedit the size of icon cache
    5) Replacing iconcache.db with good one
    6) Repairing Windows by in place upgrade

None of these measures have had any effect. Any other ideas?

TIA,

Regina Skylark
    Knoxville, TN
    Windows 10 Pro
    Dell XPS 13 (9350)

ReginaSkylark, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

Icon Cache seems upset about something

1. Icon Cache seems upset about something - Similar Threads - Icon Cache seems

2. Is this something to worry about?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this something to worry about?: Microsoft Community,Today as I was going through my registry I found a folder named CleanMyPC. I have no application named CleanMyPC and never had. A few days ago, I installed Kaspersky in my laptop and it comes with a pc cleaner as well. So, it could possibly be Kaspersky's...
  3. About taskbar icons, except there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    About taskbar icons, except there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.: So my discord client. I have changed the icon, both on the desktop and on the taskbar. But whenever discord is open, the icon goes back to normal with the text displayed next to it. I know this is a windows thing and that's why I have come here about this issue. This...
  4. Something about mic.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Something about mic.: I just got a logitech h110 but it had 2 jacks so I got a thing where it turns it into one and I am wondering if my mic is working because the headset mic has a wind muffler but I can still hear wind in the background when I test my mic. How do I know if my mic is connected?...
  5. Something about CCleaner

Something about CCleaner: So they added this new "healthcheck" feature and WHENEVER I do that it always says that there is 1 tracker to remove. I click it, it gets removed and when I start over that 1 tracker stays there. Help? submitted by /u/treeclapper084 [link] [comments]...
  6. Is it something to worry about?

Is it something to worry about?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ashwinp123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ejhwa0/is_it_something_to_worry_about/
  7. Is this Something To Worry About?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this Something To Worry About?: I just reinstalled windows 10 pro on my computer and noticed that under system information that it states "Installed memory (RAM) 16.0 GB (15.9) usable". Is this something to worry about, or how do I correct it? 144044
  8. Icon Caching Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Caching Problem: Folks, I'm having an icon caching problem that I've not been able to solve. What precipitated this event was that I was trying to get Adobe Connect to work. From what I could tell Shockwave was having an argument with Windows 10. I've tried everything suggested on this...
  9. Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?: So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green. [img] I had to cut around the personal pictures. It's not like every picture that's like this. I think these were the ones that I...
  10. Microsoft “Not Upset” About Windows 10 Leaks

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft “Not Upset” About Windows 10 Leaks: Since early November, when Microsoft announced that no other builds of Windows 10 would be released to users until early January, two different versions actually got leaked, providing us with an early glimpse of a bunch of new features, including Cortana. Leaks usually...