Windows 10: icon description

Discus and support icon description in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; my desktop icons no longer have a description. When I go onto internet explorer I see my icons but no descriptions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barkleysmom, Mar 16, 2021.

1. icon description

my desktop icons no longer have a description. When I go onto internet explorer I see my icons but no descriptions

:)

Barkleysmom, Mar 16, 2021

2. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Mar 16, 2021
  3. Icon Descriptions

In tablet mode I have lost all the descriptions of what the icon is. even when shutting down in power the description isn't there. How can I get the descriptions back?

ChuckSouzer, Mar 16, 2021
  4. icon description

Editing File Icon and Type Description

This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer?

For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a description under the "Type" column, such as "File folder" for a directory and "Text Document" for a .txt file. As an example, I have associated
    .pdf files with Google Chrome as the default program for opening it. They have the Chrome logo as the icon and "Chrome HTML Document" under the "Type" column, which is a little misleading. How would I change the icon to, say, a document icon from C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,
    and the type description to something more sensible like "PDF Document"?

I have tried to edit the registry directly via the Registry Editor that comes with Windows, editing the "(default)" entries of the relevant file types in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts,
    then restarting explorer.exe each time I make a change. However, nothing seems to have changed when I opened File Explorer again. Searching through past questions on similar issues did not give me any solutions either.

Thanks.

Note that this is not a question on:

• changing or displaying file extension;
    • changing default programs; nor
    • changing the column layout in File Explorer.

System information:

• Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    • Administrator account

Julian Ting, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

icon description

1. icon description - Similar Threads - icon description

2. Windows Security systray icon has NO popup description on hover or right click menu capability.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security systray icon has NO popup description on hover or right click menu capability.: Win 11 Pro 22H2.Windows Security opens and operates fine from systray with left mouse click.However, it is the ONLY tray icon that has no popup description on hover or right click menu capability.Resetting icon cache via Admin CMD prompt had NO effect.Is there a resolution...
  3. Windows Security systray icon has NO popup description on hover or right click menu capability.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security systray icon has NO popup description on hover or right click menu capability.: Win 11 Pro 22H2.Windows Security opens and operates fine from systray with left mouse click.However, it is the ONLY tray icon that has no popup description on hover or right click menu capability.Resetting icon cache via Admin CMD prompt had NO effect.Is there a resolution...
  4. Missing description of icons on Facebook

Missing description of icons on Facebook: Hi,On the start page of Facebook, there are icons, left and right. Since a week or so, the text/ description of the icons is missing. I use Windows 10, and my standard browser is Chrome. The problem does not occur on other browsers Firefox, Edge, Opera. Also other family...
  5. Missing description of icons on Facebook

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing description of icons on Facebook: Hi,On the start page of Facebook, there are icons, left and right. Since a week or so, the text/ description of the icons is missing. I use Windows 10, and my standard browser is Chrome. The problem does not occur on other browsers Firefox, Edge, Opera. Also other family...
  6. Missing description of icons on Facebook

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How get App icons on Windows 10 Taskbar to show only the icon and not a text description

in Windows 10 Customization
    How get App icons on Windows 10 Taskbar to show only the icon and not a text description: Could someone explain how to get the App icons on the Windows 10 Taskbar to just show the icon rather than the lengthy name of the page or folder please? So the expected result would be the same app icon as showing before the app is opened, just lightened and underlined...
  8. how disable descriptive windows classic shell icons when hovering 1909

how disable descriptive windows classic shell icons when hovering 1909: Now when I hover over a start menu icon in the classic shell start menu a descriptive window opens now (1909). How can I disable this? 150863
  9. Editing File Icon and Type Description

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing File Icon and Type Description: This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer? For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a...
  10. Can't read desktop Icon text descriptions. No "shadow" text.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't read desktop Icon text descriptions. No "shadow" text.: Running Windows 10 home and desktop icon text descriptions are not using "shadow" font so white text is invisible on white backgroud. Messed with a variety of display settings and started working but now has stopped again back to same problem. Any suggestions?...