Windows 10: Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken

Discus and support Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just reformatted my laptop. Clean install with the latest version of Windows. Carried out all updates and noticed that the spacing with the font isn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Scotster2460, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken

Just reformatted my laptop. Clean install with the latest version of Windows. Carried out all updates and noticed that the spacing with the font isn't right. I asked a few friends online and some have this issue, some don't. I also have a Surface Pro where the issue isn't there I forced the same scaling/resolution options to try and reproduce the problem.

Setup:

Windows Version 10.0.19042

Display 17.3"

Resolution 1080p

Scaling 100%

Font Size 100% In accessibility

File Explorer View set to "Medium Icons"

Sort By "Name" & "Ascending"

Group By - None

Issue: - See image below. Most longer names carry onto a second line now. It appears to be some sort of scaling or size issue but this was never present before. I can only imagine it's some sort of new update or registry change that has caused it.

I've Tried:

I thought it may be the desktop scaling issue so I went into the registry and tried changing the setting there tried extremes like 500 and 1500. It made changes to the desktop but, unsurprisingly, didn't affect the file explorer.

I thought possibly changing the scaling to another setting, restarting, and then changing it back would help. It didn't

I tried changing the font size in accessiblity, then changing it back. No change.

If I set the Explorer View to "Tiles", "Small Icons", "Large Icons", "List", etc, etc, it sorts the issue. It's purely Medium Icons that the problem lies with.

Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken 89ea1680-ed59-4b4b-80fa-6ae974744deb?upload=true.png

:)

Scotster2460, Feb 5, 2021

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Feb 5, 2021
  3. martian Win User
    View Layout Icons

In the lower right corner of the File Explorer
    there are two icons that have something to do
    with View Layout: 'Detail' and 'Large Icons'.

I would like to:
    1. Add the 'List' view because this is the type I
    often use, or:
    2. Replace the 'Large Icon' with 'List'.

How do I do it?

martian, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken

View Layout Icons

To do what you wish, you would have to modify a couple system files, (but I can't remember which ones!) *Redface, risky endeavor though!

Your alternatives:

- right click inside the folder, hover on View, choose List

- with mouse focus inside the folder press Ctrl+Shift+5

- try "Old/New Explorer" with a menu of all 8 options in the upper right command bar.

Edwin, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken

1. Icon & Font Layout in File Explorer Medium View is broken - Similar Threads - Icon Font Layout

2. Desktop Icon Layout and Font Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon Layout and Font Size: Yesterday in the middle of working on my Surface Pro 7, my screen glitched and when it popped back up, my Desktop icons were extremely small and missplaced. I am unable to move the desktop icons that do show on my desktop its as if 1 icon is the size of a quarter of my...
  3. Desktop Icon Layout and Font Size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icon Layout and Font Size: Yesterday in the middle of working on my Surface Pro 7, my screen glitched and when it popped back up, my Desktop icons were extremely small and missplaced. I am unable to move the desktop icons that do show on my desktop its as if 1 icon is the size of a quarter of my...
  4. how to make icons remain on medium view

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to make icons remain on medium view: I have windows 10 When I open up some of my folders, they are suppose to be on medium icons. The problem is, whenever I come back to that folder, it is in the details, instead of the icons. How can I get it to stay on medium icons? I still want to be able to see thumbnails...
  5. Layout Of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Layout Of File Explorer: I have just converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In W7 I had File Explorer laid out with two panes. On the left were frequently used files, on the right currently actives files and folders. This was really convenient. When I first started to use FE in Windows 10, this...
  6. View Large Icons in File Explorer

View Large Icons in File Explorer: In Large Icon View in File Explorer: Why does it display my photos on my PC but only shows a standard line diagram on my laptop. (Both computers are running Windows 10.)...
  7. File Explore.. viewing picture icon

File Explore.. viewing picture icon: I used to be able to view a jpg or jpeg file in any folder it was in when I selected that folder.. It was very useful when I wanted to include it in a email or text message and I did not have to memorize the file name instead of looking at the picture and choosing it.. why...
  8. File Explorer only Medium Icon shows icons and folders

File Explorer only Medium Icon shows icons and folders: My icons disappeared only in (Extra) Large Icons but all of the file and folder icons only appear in medium icon. Ive been trying to solve this by searching through google but it didnt work. The files inside the folder disappeared too.[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. File Explorer Showing Blank Thumbnail on Medium/Large Icons Option.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Showing Blank Thumbnail on Medium/Large Icons Option.: this happened outa know where and havent found anyone else like this. ive tried every method out there http://prntscr.com/l2cgoh Already tried this method and also tried cleaning thumbnail files in my ssd and it just messes up my computer after i wipe then my computer gets...
  10. View Layout Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    View Layout Icons: In the lower right corner of the File Explorer there are two icons that have something to do with View Layout: 'Detail' and 'Large Icons'. I would like to: 1. Add the 'List' view because this is the type I often use, or: 2. Replace the 'Large Icon' with 'List'....