Windows 10: Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it

Discus and support Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My issue is that when I click on that pinned item,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by geiger9, Oct 17, 2018.

1. geiger9 Win User

Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it

If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My issue is that when I click on that pinned item, the icon I chose for the shortcut goes away and Windows displays the icon coded into this particular .EXE file.

I cannot install any additional software to resolve this as I am on an office computer which is locked down. I did not have this issue with Windows 7.

:)

geiger9, Oct 17, 2018

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Oct 17, 2018
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Pin Shortcut

I do it by not creating a shortcut but letting Windows do it. I click on the tiny icon [favicon] at the left end of the URL/Address and dragging to the Desktop, then I have the right-click choices of Pin to Start and Pin to Taskbar. If pinned to Start it usually is at the bottom of the column of tiles so I drag it up the list to where I want it.

Berton, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it - Similar Threads - Icon pinned shortcut

2. When I try to log in computer prompts me to change pin. When I click to change pin I am...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to log in computer prompts me to change pin. When I click to change pin I am...: When I try to log into my PC, I am told that I have to change my pin. When I click to change it, I am alerted that the user profile is not found on a blue screen. I tried different things that I could find online but it did not seem to work. If anyone can please help, I would...
  3. When I try to log in computer prompts me to change pin. When I click to change pin I am...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I try to log in computer prompts me to change pin. When I click to change pin I am...: When I try to log into my PC, I am told that I have to change my pin. When I click to change it, I am alerted that the user profile is not found on a blue screen. I tried different things that I could find online but it did not seem to work. If anyone can please help, I would...
  4. Changed shortcut icon.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changed shortcut icon.: Hello, I have just had a strange experience with my desktop icons. All my dektop shortcuts had their little arrow icon changed into a black character with a waving hand on a white background. It covered most of the icon behind it. However after I reset Windows Explorer, the...
  5. My icons change when i click on them

My icons change when i click on them: So i changed my task bar icons to custm white ones and on one monitor it works perfectly fine where as on my other monitor as soon as i click on it it changes to the original icon it usedto be. And i have ADHD so it kinda irritates me. So if anyone has a solution please...
  6. Changing a Shortcut Icon

Changing a Shortcut Icon: I'd like to change the icon of a Google docs shortcut from the standard Microsoft Edge logo to the actual Google docs logo. Is this possible, as if so how do I do this? Thank you...
  7. Shortcut icons change

Shortcut icons change: My PC has crashed on reboot. I had to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button. Then I turned on my PC but the shortcut icons have changed. They have an arrow now. But my computer is working without any other problems...
  8. checkbox when i click on shortcut

checkbox when i click on shortcut: How do I get rid of the checkbox that appears when I click on the shortcut? I am new to windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checkbox-when-i-click-on-shortcut/2e2a9dae-48fb-4321-80a7-d24c43d6d09b
  9. Shortcut -> right-click 'Pin to Quick' acess doesn't pin the shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut -> right-click 'Pin to Quick' acess doesn't pin the shortcut: ...it pins the folder itself. So instead of seeing the shortcut name, you see the folder name in the Quick access list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-right-click-pin-to-quick-acess-doesnt-pin/320c68f4-f0a1-4344-8a98-f1cb1deb634c"
  10. Icon for pinned taskbar shortcut reverts to target icon when opened

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon for pinned taskbar shortcut reverts to target icon when opened: If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My problem is that when I click on that pinned item, the icon I chose for the shortcut goes away and Windows displays the icon coded into this particular .EXE file. I cannot...