Windows 10: Icon for pinned taskbar shortcut reverts to target icon when opened

Discus and support Icon for pinned taskbar shortcut reverts to target icon when opened in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My problem is that when I click on that pinned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by geiger9, Oct 17, 2018.

1. geiger9 Win User

Icon for pinned taskbar shortcut reverts to target icon when opened

If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My problem is that when I click on that pinned item, the icon I chose for the shortcut goes away and Windows displays the icon coded into this particular .EXE file.

I cannot use Resource Hacker since I'm on an office computer and things are a bit locked down. My office computer only got upgraded to Windows 10 today and I've literally spent the whole day adjusting the odd things I don't like.

:)

geiger9, Oct 17, 2018

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Oct 17, 2018
  3. smerling Win User
    Performance of Pinned Chrome Icon in Taskbar

I just reinstalled Windows 10, and Chrome's behavior has changed. Previously, when I clicked on the pinned Chrome icon in the taskbar and a Chrome tab opened, the original pinned icon was the only Chrome icon on the taskbar; and if I clicked on that original icon, I returned to the last open Chrome tab. Now when I click on the pinned Chrome icon a second Chrome icon opens at the end of the taskbar; and if I click on the original pinned Chrome icon an entirely new Chrome window opens. I have posted this issue previously, and the only solution I have received is to move the new Chrome icon into one of the first 10 spots on the Taskbar so it then responds to a Win-Key + number keyboard shortcut. However, not all my pinned programs in the taskbar react like Chrome does. Some do not open a second icon on the taskbar and continue to connect to the instance of the program I have already opened. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

smerling, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Brian_mk Win User

Windows 10 taskbar icon for a shortcut

When an application is run in Windows 10, an icon appears on the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop.

Normally the icon represents the application as you would expect.

However, when I launch an application by double clicking a shortcut on the desktop, the icon in the taskbar appears as the default plain white rectangle with the right corner folded. It is not the expected icon for the shortcut target.

I discovered I can fix this by editing the properties for individual shortcuts and changing the icon by selecting the target 'exe' file. However that would mean manually editing every shortcut. There must be a better solution?

On Windows 7 the task icon for a shortcut is that for the target as you would expect.

Brian_mk, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Icon for pinned taskbar shortcut reverts to target icon when opened - Similar Threads - Icon pinned taskbar

2. Taskbar icon missing when pinned

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icon missing when pinned: The icon for one of my apps Telegram is missing when it is pinned to the taskbar. The icon looks fine on the Start Menu and when it is not pinned, but goes away as soon as I pin it.I tried rebuilding the icon cache, restarting explorer, running `SFC /SCANNOW` and `DISM...
  3. Taskbar icon missing when pinned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icon missing when pinned: The icon for one of my apps Telegram is missing when it is pinned to the taskbar. The icon looks fine on the Start Menu and when it is not pinned, but goes away as soon as I pin it.I tried rebuilding the icon cache, restarting explorer, running `SFC /SCANNOW` and `DISM...
  4. Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon: Hi there, I've noticed that my Taskbar icons more frequently revert to a generic one, rather than the actual app's icon. Here's what I mean: Seems like only Microsoft product icons are working as intended, even then Visual Studio isn't appearing correctly either. The issue...
  5. Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon

Pinned applications on taskbar revert to generic icon: Hi there, I've noticed that my Taskbar icons more frequently revert to a generic one, rather than the actual app's icon. Here's what I mean: Seems like only Microsoft product icons are working as intended, even then Visual Studio isn't appearing correctly either. The issue...
  6. Icon from website Pinned to Taskbar, but opens in Edge Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon from website Pinned to Taskbar, but opens in Edge Icon: In internet explorer, I could pin a website to the taskbar and the window would remain on that pinned icon. So if the website had a different icon, it would keep all of the windows for that icon separate from my internet explorer icon. This was a vital tool for me for years...
  7. Icon from website Pinned to Taskbar, but opens in Edge Icon

Icon from website Pinned to Taskbar, but opens in Edge Icon: In internet explorer, I could pin a website to the taskbar and the window would remain on that pinned icon. So if the website had a different icon, it would keep all of the windows for that icon separate from my internet explorer icon. This was a vital tool for me for years...
  8. Icon from website Pinned to Taskbar, but opens in Edge Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar: I have always had shortcuts pinned to my Firefox icon in my taskbar like windows 10 forum,the login for my work place, you tube,ETC.but the short cuts are gone on my windows 32 they are still on my win.64 ..When I drag a short to my win.32 Firefox Icon in taskbar it says pen...
  10. Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared: After checking and configuring my router I went to the regular desktop view which is plain and looks like Win7 Only the quick access, internet icon, notices, lanquage and clock icons were visible. I had created a new toolbar which referenced the start menu in Windows...