Windows 10: Icon Label Text Color will NOT change and Drop Shadows will NOT go away!

Discus and support Icon Label Text Color will NOT change and Drop Shadows will NOT go away! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I posted this in a discussion 5 years ago. That thread was locked, there was still no satisfactory reply, it occurs on all computers I have used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stephen_C, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Stephen_C Win User

Icon Label Text Color will NOT change and Drop Shadows will NOT go away!

I posted this in a discussion 5 years ago. That thread was locked, there was still no satisfactory reply, it occurs on all computers I have used (many). It is a DEFINITE bug and still Microsoft does nothing. Has anybody found a satisfactory workaround that does not involve using high contrast settings, or restarting Windows Explorer each time it happens? As follows:

I have pored over these threads and other forums and done everything that has been suggested to get rid of drop shadows on icon label text and they just keep coming back!

The icon label text is white and I want it to be black. There is no setting anywhere in Windows 10 to change this! In previous versions it was possible to change the background color, even if you are using a picture background, and that color forced the icon label text to be either black or white based on that color. This is not possible in Windows 10. It is only possible to use EITHER a picture or background color, and the colors are VERY limited. And Windows decides for you the label text color.

I am a designer, and I find it important to keep mid grey tones in my background to make it easier to identify color casts in my work. And I want to set an appropriate label color. In this case BLACK with NO DROP SHADOW.

But my background apparently confuses the hell out of Windows 10 when trying to automatically set the label text based on my background. I'm surprised the developers didn't even think about this. There NEEDS TO BE a manual option!

I have noticed that sometimes after booting up everything is fine. This problem is very inconsistent.

However I have noticed that EVERY TIME I use the TaskView (or when I dock app windows at the edge of the screen, which also enables Task View mode) the text will change to white with a drop shadow. Then the only thing to do is to reboot and hope it changes back.

This points to the fact that there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with how this works.

And BTW yes, I have gone to advanced system settings and disabled drop shadow on icon text, and yes, the registry setting "ListviewShadow" is set to zero.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

:)

Stephen_C, Sep 4, 2019
  2. Stephen_C Win User

I have pored over these threads and other forums and done everything that has been suggested to get rid of drop shadows on icon label text and they just keep coming back!

The icon label text is white and I want it to be black. There is no setting anywhere in Windows 10 to change this! In previous versions it was possible to change the background color, even if you are using a picture background, and that color forced the
    icon label text to be either black or white based on that color. This is not possible in Windows 10. It is only possible to use EITHER a picture or background color, and the colors are VERY limited. And Windows decides for you the label text color.

I am a designer, and I find it important to keep mid grey tones in my background to make it easier to identify color casts in my work. And I want to set an appropriate label color. In this case BLACK with NO DROP SHADOW.

But my background apparently confuses the hell out of Windows 10 when trying to automatically set the label text based on my background. I'm surprised the developers didn't even think about this. There NEEDS TO BE a manual option!

I have noticed that sometimes after booting up everything is fine. This problem is very inconsistent.

However I have noticed that EVERY TIME I use the TaskView (or when I dock app windows at the edge of the screen, which also enables Task View mode) the text will change to white with a drop shadow. Then
    the only thing to do is to reboot and hope it changes back.

This points to the fact that there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with how this works.

And BTW yes, I have gone to advanced system settings and disabled drop shadow on icon text, and yes, the registry setting "ListviewShadow" is set to zero.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Stephen_C, Sep 4, 2019
  3. srfreeman Win User
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

Simply change to a Solid color background and turn off the drop shadows for icon labels in the Advanced system settings. Sign out, sign back in.

srfreeman, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Icon Label Text Color will NOT change and Drop Shadows will NOT go away!

Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

On my Windows 10 Desktop, the text under icons has an unpleasant shadow. I cannot seem to remove the drop shadows. There is a checkbox (in Advance System Settings), and I have carefully unchecked it, and restarted my PC. But the drop shadows under the
    icon labels persist. I was able to get rid of the drop shadows in Windows 7 quite easily. But so far, I can't accomplish the same task in Windows 10. Any help?

SteveChesebrough, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Icon Label Text Color will NOT change and Drop Shadows will NOT go away! - Similar Threads - Icon Label Text

2. The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...: Hello everybody.I tried and searched for hours. Couldn't find a thread or a solution in the web for my problem. The issue is as the title says.The ways i tried:1. editing the registry "ListviewShadow" from 1 to 02. searching in the advanced settings for the option "use drop...
  3. The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...: Hello everybody.I tried and searched for hours. Couldn't find a thread or a solution in the web for my problem. The issue is as the title says.The ways i tried:1. editing the registry "ListviewShadow" from 1 to 02. searching in the advanced settings for the option "use drop...
  4. Desktop Text Shadows will not go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Text Shadows will not go away: So I just installed the most recent OS update Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 and the desktop text shadows will NOT go away despite unchecking the indicated box and setting the registry value to 0....
  5. Desktop Text Shadows will not go away

Desktop Text Shadows will not go away: So I just installed the most recent OS update Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 and the desktop text shadows will NOT go away despite unchecking the indicated box and setting the registry value to 0....
  6. cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop: I can't turn off drop shadows for the icons on the desktop. I use sysdm.cpl in the cmd window to bring up "system properties" then "advanced" then uncheck the last check box "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". This has no effect.I then checked the box, hit...
  7. cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop: I can't turn off drop shadows for the icons on the desktop. I use sysdm.cpl in the cmd window to bring up "system properties" then "advanced" then uncheck the last check box "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". This has no effect.I then checked the box, hit...
  8. Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows: This morning, when I turned on my computer, the desktop icon labels have drop shadows. I have had them set to not have that since I got my computer. Last night, I shut down my computer via the power button on the computer. Today, I have drop shadows that I cannot get rid of...
  9. Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows How to Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows By default, Windows uses drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Depending on if your desktop background is light or...
  10. Desktop icon label drop shadows always on after snap windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon label drop shadows always on after snap windows: wW1TY5jDGrk As shown in this video (you might have to set the quality to 720p), you can switch on and off the drop shadows of your Windows 10 desktop icon labels. However, after using the auto arrange snap window function (drag and drop any window to the left or right...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. CANNOT GET RID OF DROP SHADDOW WINDOWS DESKTOP ICONS