Windows 10: Icon positioning?

Discus and support Icon positioning? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Still Beckinista, May 28, 2021.

1. Icon positioning?

Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can turn it off and the situation persists. Desired Outcome: for a new folder to remain WHERE I CREATE IT, instead of snapping to first-available grid-slot. e.g., I need a particular folder on the right edge of the screen; if I create it there, it jumps back to the left so that I have to go find it & then drag it across. If I have several windows open, this becomes a pain. Any ideas?

:)

Still Beckinista, May 28, 2021
  2. Argel Obm Win User

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, May 28, 2021
  3. gdavej Win User
    Icon Positions

I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem.

I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect my display to a big screen TV, the icons move around... a familiar story. I've tried all sorts to resolve this:

1 desktopok... tried this, but it has never worked for me, and doesn't even save the current icon layout, tried with AutoArrange off, tried running as administrator, moved the exec away from the C:\ProgramFiles. Nothing works.
    2: Stardock Fences... I moved all the icons into one great big fence, but again after screen resolution change, the icons in the fence had moved around.
    3: tried exporting the icon positions in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop, then moving icons, and importing the registry entries. However, as soon as I refresh the screen, or reboot, the registry reverts to the changed positions, not the original.

This is so frustrating, why Microsoft can't solve this simple problem is beyond me. Can anybody suggest any solution that I haven't tried, other than never playing the games that change resolution.

gdavej, May 28, 2021
  4. Juzar_Ali Win User

Icon positioning?

Saving custom desktop icon positions

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

What happens when you customize your Desktop icons?

How long does it retains it positions? Does it change on restart?

I suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try the steps and check if it helps.

• Right-click on the desktop and click on View.
    • Uncheck the option Align icons to grid.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to boot the computer to
    Safe Mode
    and check if the issue occurs or not. If the issue does not occur in
    Safe mode, set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I would suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2:

If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode perform a
    clean boot
    and check.

Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any
    third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Please refer the steps given in the link below to perform a Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, May 28, 2021
Thema:

Icon positioning?

1. Icon positioning? - Similar Threads - Icon positioning

2. How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?: I use my notebook with Windows 11 with several different monitors and every time the system shuffles all icons to some default positions. It is very annoying. I need to find a method how to save the positions of my icons to be able to retrieve them on monitors with different...
  3. How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to save and retreive icon positions on the desktop?: I use my notebook with Windows 11 with several different monitors and every time the system shuffles all icons to some default positions. It is very annoying. I need to find a method how to save the positions of my icons to be able to retrieve them on monitors with different...
  4. How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...: How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the clock?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-the-old-copilot-icon-position-in/70cf0413-b01d-4c04-8348-8fba90dfefba
  5. How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...

How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...: How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the clock?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-the-old-copilot-icon-position-in/70cf0413-b01d-4c04-8348-8fba90dfefba
  6. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  7. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  8. Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...: Randomly when my PC wakes up from sleep my desktop icons will move left 1 grid position. This seems to only happen when there are icons placed on the right side of each screen. I have gone through all the steps you will find searching online such as auto arrange off, lock to...
  9. Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...

Desktop icons move 1 position left on wake up only if there are icons placed on the right...: Randomly when my PC wakes up from sleep my desktop icons will move left 1 grid position. This seems to only happen when there are icons placed on the right side of each screen. I have gone through all the steps you will find searching online such as auto arrange off, lock to...
  10. compres icones position on the screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compres icones position on the screen: compress icone on the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compres-icones-position-on-the-screen/d90bd2a8-34d9-452d-aa29-92742c683689