Windows 10: Icon spacing

Discus and support Icon spacing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I space the icons on desktop? How can I make text bigger where I can read it OK? Like when I type in a web address in the bar. Some of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jayefayed, May 18, 2015.

1. jayefayed Win User

Icon spacing

How can I space the icons on desktop?

How can I make text bigger where I can read it OK? Like when I type in a web address in the bar.

Some of my icons or huge and some are small.

Please help

Jaye

:)

jayefayed, May 18, 2015
  2. GoAskEric Win User

adjust icon spacing in windows 10

Dear "Microsoft Support Engineers",

If you do not know what you are talking about, please do not attempt to help people with a subject if which you know nothing about. You are just wasting everyone's time.

Thank you.

GoAskEric, May 18, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    adjust icon spacing in windows 10

Hi,

The Icon Spacing settings you may be remembering no longer exist... But they can still be changed in the registry...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

You may need to tinker a little to get what you want... You may also need to find a way to "Disable Sorting" to get the Icons to stay where you want them...

slance310, May 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Icon spacing

This is how I did:

• Right click on desktop->Display Settings and set it 150%. NOTE: If you have dual monitors, click on other monitor and do the same.

Icon spacing [​IMG]
    • Control Panel->Display->Set a custom scaling level, again set it to 150%, Change the text size for each item: Menu, Title, icon etc... then click apply

Icon spacing [​IMG]

topgundcp, May 18, 2015
  5. For icon size on the desktop, try this old trick:
    requires a wheeled mouse!

click any open area on your desktop
    press and hold the Ctrl key
    mouse wheel in on direction to increase the icon size
    mouse wheel the other direction to decrease the icon size

Spacing can be changed in the registry
    WinKey+R [ regedit ]
    answer the UAC prompt
    navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
    look in the right hand pane for the following two Values

IconSpacing
    IconVerticalSpacing

change the numbers that represent the spacing to what looks best for you.
    The values must be between -480 and -2750

I think the default is -1175 (pixels?).
    Why a negative number ??? Not sure, but in some places that indicates a resource value.

I tend to keep the spacing 'squared' - the same distance for vertical and horizontal.
    Make small changes, but large enough to get an idea of what the the layout will look like when you're happy with your work.
    This is a trial and error - and it's not automatic ... you have to either log off and back on or restart Windows Explorer (not sure about the latter)
    To restart Windows Explorer - open task manager, scroll down to Windows Explorer, select and press the restart button or right click and select restart from the context menu.
    Seeing what you see always helps members on this side of your monitor.
    Here's how you can grab a screen shot that shows the issue and attach it to a new post.
    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Icon spacing

1. Icon spacing - Similar Threads - Icon spacing

2. Icon spacing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon spacing: Icons out of the blue are widely spaced and wont go back into normal position. Have used the left click method on desktop to arrange and nothing, typed in regedit, but theres no regedit in the list to edit spacing of icons. What a mess Windows is. Have been correcting out of...
  3. Icon spacing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon spacing: Icons out of the blue are widely spaced and wont go back into normal position. Have used the left click method on desktop to arrange and nothing, typed in regedit, but theres no regedit in the list to edit spacing of icons. What a mess Windows is. Have been correcting out of...
  4. Icon spacing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon spacing: Icons out of the blue are widely spaced and wont go back into normal position. Have used the left click method on desktop to arrange and typed in regedit, but theres no regedit to edit spacing of icons. What a mess Windows is. Have been correcting out of the blue issues for...
  5. icon spacing of desktop icons after the text resizing bug.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    icon spacing of desktop icons after the text resizing bug.: There is a horrible bug in the system win 11 after using multiple times enlarging or decreasing textsize . After some tries to have the right text size, I have enormous spacing between the desktop icons. It is impossible to get the original setup of icons again. The...
  6. icon spacing of desktop icons after the text resizing bug.

icon spacing of desktop icons after the text resizing bug.: There is a horrible bug in the system win 11 after using multiple times enlarging or decreasing textsize . After some tries to have the right text size, I have enormous spacing between the desktop icons. It is impossible to get the original setup of icons again. The...
  7. Icon spacing setting?

Icon spacing setting?: Online I see instructions for tightening the space between taskbar icons on Windows 11 Scroll down this page: Adjusting Taskbar Icon Spacing in Windows 11 It says there's an option for "Icon Spacing", but I don't see it. I'm on Windows 11 Pro. Was this option removed? Thanks!...
  8. Icon spacing setting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon spacing setting?: Online I see instructions for tightening the space between taskbar icons on Windows 11 Scroll down this page: Adjusting Taskbar Icon Spacing in Windows 11 It says there's an option for "Icon Spacing", but I don't see it. I'm on Windows 11 Pro. Was this option removed? Thanks!...
  9. my Storage Spaces icon is a shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my Storage Spaces icon is a shortcut: Is it correct that my Storage Spaces is a shortcut? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-storage-spaces-icon-is-a-shortcut/790af47c-e248-4b01-baa9-4c2187e13def
  10. my Storage Spaces icon is a shortcut

my Storage Spaces icon is a shortcut: Is it correct that my Storage Spaces is a shortcut? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-storage-spaces-icon-is-a-shortcut/790af47c-e248-4b01-baa9-4c2187e13def