Windows 10: Icon spacings changed out of nowhere- how do I revert?

Discus and support Icon spacings changed out of nowhere- how do I revert? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I left my computer in sleep mode for a few minutes, and when I came back, suddenly spacing everywhere changed and I hate how it looks. Changes I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DL733, Oct 23, 2020.

1. DL733 Win User

Icon spacings changed out of nowhere- how do I revert?

I left my computer in sleep mode for a few minutes, and when I came back, suddenly spacing everywhere changed and I hate how it looks. Changes I've noticed include:

- Pinned icons on taskbar have wider spacing in between

- Navigation panel on file explorer has wider vertical spacing

- Search bar and directory bar on file explorer got a few pixels thicker

- Icon spacing on the file explorer changed, and the vertical spacing is no logner regular spacing is wider/narrower depending on length of file name

I rebooted, tried changing systemwide font size, display scale, resolution, and icon scale from display settings and accessibility settings but none of them changes the dimensions in the desired manner.

Does anyone know how to revert these changes?

:)

DL733, Oct 23, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Ma. Lau Win User

Small icons setting won't change

I suggest that you change or uncheck Use small taskbar buttons by following the steps below:

• Right-click the Taskbar.
    • Select Properties.
    • In the Taskbar tab make sure that Use small taskbar is
      uncheck

Icon spacings changed out of nowhere- how do I revert? e377d97f-489c-45cb-8856-ca9160202472.jpg
    • Click Apply and OK.
    If the issue still persists, you can change the size of desktop icons.

• Right-click an empty space on the desktop.
    • Select View and choose either Large, Medium or Small icons.
    • Check if you can change the size of the taskbar button.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Icon spacings changed out of nowhere- how do I revert? - Similar Threads - Icon spacings changed

2. How do I revert the awful taskbar icon spacing changes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I revert the awful taskbar icon spacing changes?: After going through a windows update on 3/15/2023, I find myself greeted with taskbar icons that are larger and take up far too much space. I see no option whatsoever to revert this change to the original tight aesthetic. How can I go about doing so? This is bothering me a...
  3. How do I revert the awful taskbar icon spacing changes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I revert the awful taskbar icon spacing changes?: After going through a windows update on 3/15/2023, I find myself greeted with taskbar icons that are larger and take up far too much space. I see no option whatsoever to revert this change to the original tight aesthetic. How can I go about doing so? This is bothering me a...
  4. Icons are weirdly spaced out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons are weirdly spaced out: After I tried to leave a fullscreen tab, it started to slow down and all my desktop icons became spaced, causingand now most of them are shoved together in a corner. How do I change this? submitted by /u/Findnot [link] [comments]...
  5. Desktop icons spaced out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons spaced out: One day, when I booted up my computer, the icons were really spaced out. So I used regedit to modify the icon spacing details, and all was fine. But when I unplugged my laptop from my monitor, the icons were all spaced out on my laptop screen. So I, once again, went into...
  6. How do I revert my icons to the normal versions

How do I revert my icons to the normal versions: Around 4 months ago I was customising windows, I had changed my icons to this theme called "Nord Icon Theme" of course before I did this I made a restore point. But right now I want the original windows icon theme because of how many bugs the icon theme causes. I am looking...
  7. How do I space out my taskbar icons?

How do I space out my taskbar icons?: I meant the taskbar tray kind of icons, from thiswhite, to this black: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-space-out-my-taskbar-icons/4d320bea-ac4a-4267-80d6-46388842f5bd
  8. How do I change the spacing of desktop icons?

How do I change the spacing of desktop icons?: I have found this question here before but the answers did not address my problem. The icons on my desktop were previously much closer together than they now are, and I cannot seem to get them back the way they were. The icon size is the same as it has always been, and I have...
  9. How do I change the default icons?

How do I change the default icons?: Just wondering how and if I can change the default icons in windows and if there is anything I could use to do so thanks submitted by /u/HuNtEd_10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e09jfh/how_do_i_change_the_default_icons/
  10. How to Change Icon Spacing Settings

How to Change Icon Spacing Settings: Summary: This discussion covers changing icon spacing settings on the desktop. More Information: Windows 10 no longer lets you change icon spacing settings because the ability to change desktop appearance - like changing fonts for the title-bar or changing colours for...