Windows 10: Icon thumbnails disappearing

Discus and support Icon thumbnails disappearing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Very often all my thumbnails will disappear. Desktop, toolbar, file thumbnails etc all disappear and will not reload until I restart my system. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NathanMeyer1, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Icon thumbnails disappearing

Very often all my thumbnails will disappear. Desktop, toolbar, file thumbnails etc all disappear and will not reload until I restart my system. This happens way to often and computer seems sluggish when it does. What can I do??

I figure it's a memory problem but I'm not sure. I've got 32gb ram and a GTX1070. I do alot of video editing but this happens even when I'm not taxing my computer that much.

So my icons are still there and I can still click on them but when I need to scroll through hundreds of raw video files named "P10246whatever.mp4" you kinda need to see the thumbnails or else you're stuck watching each one.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

:)

NathanMeyer1, Sep 7, 2018

2. Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Sep 7, 2018
  3. thumbnail and icon disappeared when change view size

Hi,

To help you with your issue about thumbnail and icon disappearing when changing view size, please refer to the information below.

The reason why thumbnails and icons disappears when set to large icons is that the resolution of your monitor might not be able to handle the large format setting of these icons. You may either set it and maintain them to medium icons or you may try to use
    Control (keyboard)+ scroll up or scroll down (mouse) to set them to your desired size.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Icon thumbnails disappearing

thumbnail and icon disappeared when change view size

To help you further with your issue about thumbnail and icon disappearing when changing view size, you may also try the troubleshooting steps provided below.

Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

1. Press the Windows button on your keyboard.

2. Once the search panel opens up, type CMD.

3. Click on the Command prompt.

4. Copy and paste the command below to the command prompt and then press
    Enter

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

attrib –h

thumbcache_*.db

del thumbcache_*.db

start explorer

5. Check if the icons will now be showing.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Icon thumbnails disappearing

1. Icon thumbnails disappearing - Similar Threads - Icon thumbnails disappearing

2. Icons / thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons / thumbnails: In Windows 10, I can't change the icon view to thumbnails. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-thumbnails/11b292ca-0973-40d8-ab36-6c5ce181894d
  3. Icons / thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons / thumbnails: In Windows 10, I can't change the icon view to thumbnails. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-thumbnails/11b292ca-0973-40d8-ab36-6c5ce181894d
  4. Icons / thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Thumbnails repeatedly disappearing

Thumbnails repeatedly disappearing: A few days ago I was in the middle of organizing some photos saved on my device from one large folder to categorised sub-folders, and suddenly all the thumbnails disappeared and the images wouldn't show up in the preview pane. Perhaps twice in the past 6 months I had an issue...
  6. Picture thumbnails and taskbar icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Picture thumbnails and taskbar icons keep disappearing: [IMG] I've tried almost every basic fix and more specific fix I can to try and handle this, and it still keeps happening. It's been fine for a while, but I just realized it happened again. Can absolutely anyone tell me why in the world this is happening or how to fix it?...
  7. **** - thumbnails disappeared.

**** - thumbnails disappeared.: I had a problem. I posted a question. Greg Carmack responded. I cannot get back to his response to respond to it, so I am posting again. . I followed his directions and lost my whole desk top. Now all I have is a solid white screen. He responded to me on an email I...
  8. icons or thumbnails?

icons or thumbnails?: My pc has started to show mostly icons instead of jpeg photos how can I reverse this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-or-thumbnails/c0f8aefb-25b0-4384-a70e-f9d95bb1a02b
  9. PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update

PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update: Last Sunday there was a system update and now my PDF thumbnails have disappeared and only the icon shows. I'm running Adobe Reader DC, there are no updates available on it; I have "show previews" checked in Adobe and in windows options "Always show thumbnails--ON" and "show...
  10. Icons and thumbnails

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons and thumbnails: Hi all, hope you can help. Ok, in Windows 7, when changing the desktop pic, you could see thumbnails of the pics you wanted to select. I have fixed this in windows 10, all well and good, BUT, I now have thumbnails of pics on my desktop that previusly were just icons. I'd...