Windows 10: Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!!

Discus and support Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I wake up my computer yesterday morning after the weekend. Outlook is open, after checking I minimize and see all my desktop icons are gone except... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ScottWHodges, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!!

So I wake up my computer yesterday morning after the weekend. Outlook is open, after checking I minimize and see all my desktop icons are gone except for the recycle bin. I right click on the lower left Windows icon and nothing. If I click Send To on a file in explorer and empty menu. Suddenly my Thunderbird email client says it can't find my profile.

I finally find the Desktop Icon file in my User Roaming directory and copy them all back to the desktop but they are all "faded" like if you drag to select multiple they get greyed out. They work but are ugly. Still no context menus with Start or files. Resigned to reinstalling Thunderbird. Any idea how to recoup the context menus and getting my icons to look normal and bright? BTW the text under the icons seems to looks OK just the graphic.

Have tried SFC and didn't fix

My WinX three groups are populated

I was going to do a system restore but I guess during some update it was unchecked and I have no restore points

HELP

:)

ScottWHodges, Aug 27, 2019

2. How to get rid of old context menus?

I was going to suggest editing teh registry , but....

francis511, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Necrofire Win User
    CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!! ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!! ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!! :)

Necrofire, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!!

Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!! :(

ArmoredCavalry, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!!

1. Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!! - Similar Threads - Icons Context Menus

2. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  3. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  4. Windows 11 Context menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Context menus: The actions one can take for an item file, folder, etc. show up in different ways:Across the topAcross the bottomIn a context menu I think "context menu" is the right term.others?This is a bit confusing -- not that one can't quickly figure out where to look, but that one...
  5. Windows 11 Context menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Context menus: The actions one can take for an item file, folder, etc. show up in different ways:Across the topAcross the bottomIn a context menu I think "context menu" is the right term.others?This is a bit confusing -- not that one can't quickly figure out where to look, but that one...
  6. Optical Devices context menus

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Devices context menus: Simple question. My Optical disk reader shows up as Drive D on my PC and if I accidently click on it, it OPENS. If I right-click on it, there is an item that allows me to EJECT it. Is it possible to ADD Microsoft or 3rd party an item to CLOSE the tray. Just a thought....
  7. Edit or an editor for the context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit or an editor for the context menus: My context menu is a mess. Items that I never use, or apps added themselves but not wanted, and vice versa. Older apps that offer setting to be listed, no longer work function in W10 1909. I am trying to add them manually and remove those which I don't want. e.g: I have...
  8. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  9. Context menus opening to the left

in Windows 10 Support
    Context menus opening to the left: .... instead of to the right, like they're SUPPOSED to. [img] 72316
  10. Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons: Please be aware that setting the group policy option: "Remove Access to the Context Menus for the Taskbar" to "Enabled", in Windows 10, does NOT work. This Group Policy setting is located at: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu & Taskbar It is...