Windows 10: Icons and Tiles

Discus and support Icons and Tiles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have wondered why tile has become the key word for what used to be icon? Is there really a difference other than size? Programs have become apps. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by graydog, Aug 11, 2015.

1. graydog Win User

Icons and Tiles

I have wondered why tile has become the key word for what used to be icon? Is there really a difference other than size?
    Programs have become apps. I know tablets changed our reference words but when an app has more code than some programs isn't it really a program?

I know this may sound silly to us but I help a lot of elderly folks (I am one myself) with their computers and believe or not this really threw them for a loop when they went from Win XP or 7 to Win 8. For some of them, when those tiles pop up instead of the desktop with icons they suddenly go brain dead!

Anyone else run into this problem? From now on I am calling them "those big icons" and I am giving up trying to explain what an app is.

:)

graydog, Aug 11, 2015

2. how do I get stuff off my home screen

Tap and hold the tile. You will see two icons appear on the tile. The arrow icon will let you resize the tile. The pushpin icon will let you delete the tile.

Mark

Mark Boyce, Aug 11, 2015
  3. loyall Win User
    How can I make Start Menu icons uniform size?

I do not understand your reply. My tiles are all uniform size. The tiles do not need adjusting. Two of the icons within the tiles are very much larger than all the Windows icons. Is there a way to make all the icons the same size as the Libre Office and
    Windows icons?

loyall, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Icons and Tiles

Hello graydog. Welcome to Windows Ten Forums. Glad you can join us with your questions. I and others that come along will attempt to answer them the best we can.

Yes, there is much in difference. A "non-live" tile is more like an icon and a "live tile" much like a combination of a gadget and an icon in that it conveys personal data important to any given user. The tile section of the Start menu in 10 or the Start screen in 8/8.1, which is customizable in shuffling tiles into customizable-titled groups, is an at-a-glance means of conveying information that's important to any given user. This idea has been ported over from the Windows phone onto PCs, laptops, hybrid convertibles, and tablets to be familiar across all those devices.

There was a thread on this forum so far as app vs program in great discussion of the difference. "Apps" seemed to have been tagged when referring to a Modern WinRT Store app. Not necessarily written in WinRT API, but that name or "tag" was really introduced by Apple and Google via their stores and now with the Windows Store, which by the way is a Modern Store app. Legacy (traditional) Win32 desktop programs on the other hand seems to have held their reference as programs. To me, all in all, they are basically one in the same. The only difference is the environment (API) they were written in.

The reason for the new WinRT API is so Store apps open and can be displayed on any size screen on any type device, whether it be a phone, large desktop PC monitors, or what have you. Win32 legacy programs are not written in an environment (API) to do such. Download and install a Store app, whether free or purchased, and run it on any device. Up to ten devices to be precise.

This is a goal that Microsoft (MS) has reached. An OS platform (not necessarily the same edition, but similar) to run across multiple devices, so much so that it will be familiar to the user, therefore to simplify the use of any device no matter what it is.

Some reading that you may want to do:

Windows Runtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows API - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A post written in the early days of 8:

The Real Quality Boot Time of 8 Verses 7

I hope that helps somewhat to answer you questions. Also hope I didn't over-simplify it for you mentioned DOS in another post. *Wink

Tony K, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

Icons and Tiles

1. Icons and Tiles - Similar Threads - Icons Tiles

2. Windows Explorer hangs and crashes previewing SVG files, eg. preview / tiles / icon view is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer hangs and crashes previewing SVG files, eg. preview / tiles / icon view is...: - This occurs on both of my laptops.- Both of my laptops have Windows 11 Home, Powertoys 76.2 but issue also with the previous versions of Powertoys- This only started AFTER allowing the most recent set of Windows 11 Home updates which I held off on for a couple months until...
  3. Windows Explorer hangs and crashes previewing SVG files, eg. preview / tiles / icon view is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer hangs and crashes previewing SVG files, eg. preview / tiles / icon view is...: - This occurs on both of my laptops.- Both of my laptops have Windows 11 Home, Powertoys 76.2 but issue also with the previous versions of Powertoys- This only started AFTER allowing the most recent set of Windows 11 Home updates which I held off on for a couple months until...
  4. Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing: HI All,I need few new web shortcuts in start menu but its not appearing. we copied relevant files under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\start shortcuts"We have an xml file which will help us to organize the shortcuts like, column and row and category Web...
  5. Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing

Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing: HI All,I need few new web shortcuts in start menu but its not appearing. we copied relevant files under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\start shortcuts"We have an xml file which will help us to organize the shortcuts like, column and row and category Web...
  6. Start Menu Tile section New Icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows Start Menu couldn't be opened. I restarted PC. My Start Menu icon tiles are now gone.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu couldn't be opened. I restarted PC. My Start Menu icon tiles are now gone.: As titled said. It will **NOT** be reset again if I put things on it, only my old icon tiles were gone. Can it be restored? What it looks like now: https://i.imgur.com/4QHcoJV.png Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2728 I'm not sure what other information I should...
  8. Windows Start Menu couldn't be opened. I restarted PC. My Start Menu icon tiles are now gone.

Windows Start Menu couldn't be opened. I restarted PC. My Start Menu icon tiles are now gone.: As titled said. It will **NOT** be reset again if I put things on it, only my old icon tiles were gone. Can it be restored? What it looks like now: https://i.imgur.com/4QHcoJV.png Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2728 I'm not sure what other information I should...
  9. Windows Start Menu couldn't be opened. I restarted PC. My Start Menu icon tiles are now gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. desktop changes to tile view photo and icons dissappear until I click the show desktop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop changes to tile view photo and icons dissappear until I click the show desktop...: throughout the day my desktop photo will change.It will look normal, photo showing on entire desktop with my icons.then the pic will randomly change to just the center and the left and right sides are a color. It is whatever color I have picked if I were to use just a color...