Windows 10: Icons and Tiles

Discus and support Icons and Tiles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have wondered why tile has become the key word for what used to be icon? Is there really a difference other than size? Programs have become apps. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by graydog, Aug 11, 2015.

1. graydog Win User

Icons and Tiles

I have wondered why tile has become the key word for what used to be icon? Is there really a difference other than size?
    Programs have become apps. I know tablets changed our reference words but when an app has more code than some programs isn't it really a program?

I know this may sound silly to us but I help a lot of elderly folks (I am one myself) with their computers and believe or not this really threw them for a loop when they went from Win XP or 7 to Win 8. For some of them, when those tiles pop up instead of the desktop with icons they suddenly go brain dead!

Anyone else run into this problem? From now on I am calling them "those big icons" and I am giving up trying to explain what an app is.

:)

graydog, Aug 11, 2015

2. how do I get stuff off my home screen

Tap and hold the tile. You will see two icons appear on the tile. The arrow icon will let you resize the tile. The pushpin icon will let you delete the tile.

Mark

Mark Boyce, Aug 11, 2015
  3. loyall Win User
    How can I make Start Menu icons uniform size?

I do not understand your reply. My tiles are all uniform size. The tiles do not need adjusting. Two of the icons within the tiles are very much larger than all the Windows icons. Is there a way to make all the icons the same size as the Libre Office and
    Windows icons?

loyall, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Icons and Tiles

Hello graydog. Welcome to Windows Ten Forums. Glad you can join us with your questions. I and others that come along will attempt to answer them the best we can.

Yes, there is much in difference. A "non-live" tile is more like an icon and a "live tile" much like a combination of a gadget and an icon in that it conveys personal data important to any given user. The tile section of the Start menu in 10 or the Start screen in 8/8.1, which is customizable in shuffling tiles into customizable-titled groups, is an at-a-glance means of conveying information that's important to any given user. This idea has been ported over from the Windows phone onto PCs, laptops, hybrid convertibles, and tablets to be familiar across all those devices.

There was a thread on this forum so far as app vs program in great discussion of the difference. "Apps" seemed to have been tagged when referring to a Modern WinRT Store app. Not necessarily written in WinRT API, but that name or "tag" was really introduced by Apple and Google via their stores and now with the Windows Store, which by the way is a Modern Store app. Legacy (traditional) Win32 desktop programs on the other hand seems to have held their reference as programs. To me, all in all, they are basically one in the same. The only difference is the environment (API) they were written in.

The reason for the new WinRT API is so Store apps open and can be displayed on any size screen on any type device, whether it be a phone, large desktop PC monitors, or what have you. Win32 legacy programs are not written in an environment (API) to do such. Download and install a Store app, whether free or purchased, and run it on any device. Up to ten devices to be precise.

This is a goal that Microsoft (MS) has reached. An OS platform (not necessarily the same edition, but similar) to run across multiple devices, so much so that it will be familiar to the user, therefore to simplify the use of any device no matter what it is.

Some reading that you may want to do:

Windows Runtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows API - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A post written in the early days of 8:

The Real Quality Boot Time of 8 Verses 7

I hope that helps somewhat to answer you questions. Also hope I didn't over-simplify it for you mentioned DOS in another post. *Wink

Tony K, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

Icons and Tiles

1. Icons and Tiles - Similar Threads - Icons Tiles

2. Lost Icon Tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Icon Tiles: I have a New laptop but I have lost the App Tiles immediately above the Start....anyone help recover them . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-icon-tiles/646838ac-77a4-495f-80d0-05fe39c05a98
  3. menu tiles/icons not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    menu tiles/icons not showing: after windows upgrade my original menu tiles appear on screen then disappear..how to fix??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/menu-tilesicons-not-showing/e71fc57f-b1aa-4f4c-867e-1ac22ba8f67f
  4. Microsoft News tile icon missing

Microsoft News tile icon missing: My Microsoft News icon has gone blank. How can I restore the picture? ***Original title: Windows 10 News Icon*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-news-tile-icon-missing/cc773e7c-eee6-49a4-9ac8-8f7ef115d978
  5. How to assign icon to start menu tile.

How to assign icon to start menu tile.: I've got an old app from Everett Kaiser called Sherlock. I've got the app pinned to my start menu. The icon is a smoking Calibaster pipe. Recently the app icon changed to what I would describe as a white page. I've tried to unpin from start and repinned from app on c: drive,...
  6. Desk top icons from Start page tile

Desk top icons from Start page tile: Is it possible to copy a Start Page tile to my Desk top as an Icon using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desk-top-icons-from-start-page-tile/da37c580-15f2-438a-8ce8-84ee47b72670
  7. (Resolved) Windows Update missing icons in tiles in Start Menu after updating KB4467682 on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    (Resolved) Windows Update missing icons in tiles in Start Menu after updating KB4467682 on...: Hi, After I install an update for Windows today, some of the icons in my Start Menu went missing. I used the Microsoft Automated Assistance, that we couldn't communicate at all. I was asking about Update, she (it) was asking me about if I would like to change the size of the...
  8. Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)?

Why do some taskbar icons appear as start menu tiles (with blue boxes around them)?: I have a new Surface Laptop 2 with Windows 10 Home. It has bugged me right away that the WhatsApp and Messenger icons on the taskbar look wrong. Does anyone have a solution to this? Or know why this is happening? [ATTACH]...
  9. Changing size of graphics within the tiles/icons in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing size of graphics within the tiles/icons in start menu: Hello, Here is my start menu: [img] I cannot find how to make the icons for apps larger. For no apparent reason, the Opera Browser icon (the actual icon, not the blue tile) is larger than, say, the Adobe apps. And the 'Live Tile' icons are lovely and fill the tile. Is...
  10. Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start tiles lose their icons on reboot/restart: MODS.... PLEASE DO NOT MERGE THIS WITH MY ORIGINAL THREAD. I RECEIVED NO HELP THAT WORKED AND IF YOU DO MERGE IT, THIS WILL GET BURIED AND MY QUESTION WILL NOT GET RESOLVED. Windows 10 Home version 1803 OS build 17134.285 When I reboot or restart, some of my Start Menu...