Windows 10: Icons disappear after DPI change.

Discus and support Icons disappear after DPI change. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop with a 4K display and DPI scaling set to 250% (default), and whenever I change this to any other value and restart to fully apply it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by appex213, Aug 3, 2017.

1. appex213 Win User

Icons disappear after DPI change.

I have a laptop with a 4K display and DPI scaling set to 250% (default), and whenever I change this to any other value and restart to fully apply it all of the icons on the desktop, taskbar, start menu, in folders and basically everywhere disappear (except for some windows icons like Edge browser and Cortana).
    Changing the DPI back to the default 250% and restarting makes the icons appear again but I need to change the DPI in order to use an external display without scaling issues and blurry text.

:)

appex213, Aug 3, 2017

2. Is there a way to force DPI scaling?

The native DPI scaling is already properly set. (Change the size of text, apps, and other items is already properly set to 250%.). Some applications, however, disobey this DPI setting. An application (ChemDraw) that I am using is "nominally" claiming to
    be HighDPIAware, when, in fact, the icons are not designed to behave well in high DPI screens (somewhat dishonestly). Is there a way to "force" DPI scaling of an application without changing the resolution of the screen?

MicrosoftUserAnthony, Aug 3, 2017
  3. Blurry tiles on Start Screen

As said before, same problem on my SP2 - 125% dpi scaling, after nov update.

UPDATES:

1. I noticed that the same tiles that are blurry in tablet mode are
    slightly blurry also in desktop mode start menu.

2. All of this happens also on my desk mate's SP3.

On both systems, the problem disappears with 150% dpi scaling.

Fix this please!!!

MatteoColombo, Aug 3, 2017
Thema:

Icons disappear after DPI change.

1. Icons disappear after DPI change. - Similar Threads - Icons disappear DPI

2. DPI Setting changes in game - MW3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPI Setting changes in game - MW3: My mouse DPI has started to be effected within Modern Warfare 3. Whilst in game I hear a noise that I have an alert to an app or something which I expect to pop up on the screen, but there is nothing to reference why the DPI settings are changing in game. The moment it...
  3. icons and files disappeared after a upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    icons and files disappeared after a upgrade: After my system updated all except 2 icons on my taskbar disappeared-phone & mail. When I tried to access them from the start menu, it would underline any site I clicked on but never went to the site. When I clicked on the small square it would fade, but never go to the...
  4. Changing DPI in a photo

Changing DPI in a photo: I need to change the DPI in a photo that I copied from a website (of my boss). I have submitted it to a publication, but they declined using it because the DPI was less than 300. What program could I use to fix that?...
  5. DPI changing with resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DPI changing with resolution: For a long time I've used the same 1920 by 1080 resolution on my Windows PC. Recently however, I bought a new monitor which had a resolution of 2560 by 1440. I noticed that my cursor moved relatively slower after the switch, and I know that higher resolutions make your DPI...
  6. Icons on the desktop disappeared after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons on the desktop disappeared after update: My Laptop got updated a couple of months ago and all the icons that were on the desktop went missing. There are still available under the desktop folder though. I am not able to bring them back to the desktop screen....
  7. Tray icons disappear after expanding?

Tray icons disappear after expanding?: Whenever i click on my "hidden icons" button on the right of my taskbar, they all appear for a split second, then the box becomes more narrow and hides half of them. [ATTACH] As you can see, some of the icons appear blurry and the box has a weird border on the right side as...
  8. Icons disappeared after scaling change

Icons disappeared after scaling change: After I changed scaling from 100% to 125%, all icons disappeared whether it be desktop, taskbar, or file explorer. This is not the first time I changed scaling to 125%. This has never happened before when I changed scaling. It seems applications downloaded from Windows Store...
  9. Changing DPI for all users

Changing DPI for all users: Hello, I've been trying to figure this out for what seems to be longest, and every method i've tried doesn't work out. We have a custom 6 screen monitor that we use in the conference room. The PC itself has a Nvidia Quadro M4000 that connects 2 outputs to the display...
  10. Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed: I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable form. In an attempt to correct this I have tried setting the display resolution to 1920x1080. Then setting the magnification...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 scaling 150% desktop icons dissapear

2. icon images dissapear when i adjust dpi scaling