Windows 10: Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while

Discus and support Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while in Cortana to solve the problem; Can anyone please advise on this? It's a strange issue with the Search Box and don't get me started on how utterly hopeless I find Windows 10's search... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by DrNic, Feb 17, 2021.

1. DrNic Win User

Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while

Can anyone please advise on this? It's a strange issue with the Search Box and don't get me started on how utterly hopeless I find Windows 10's search facility compared to WIndows 7.

Briefly, when I start up my PC, search box suggests things correctly with appropriate icons for file folders, mp3, PDF, rar archives etc. However, after a while anything from a couple of hours to a day or so, it seems to somehow lose the connection between search results and the corresponding icons, returning only blank gray squares see screenshot below. This means I can't tell what each file type is or, indeed, if it's a file or a folder unless I right click and investigate, and it's extremely frustrating and time-consuming. If I reboot, everything works again, then some time later, it reverts to being blank squares.

This is what it's like when I first boot up: Observe the search results - icons for folder, PDF, Word and mp3 all present and correct

Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while 07ec7c49-9390-4cb2-8dd1-34753d6671ae?upload=true.png

Then it reverts to this after a few hours -

Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while abe2a8e2-afe2-461f-a1c8-e023810dc993?upload=true.png

The icons for apps seem to be ok - it's just file and folder icons which seem to disappear.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but there's also, I've just noticed, often a line of blue dots or dashes moving across the top of the open search box ie just above "All Apps Documents" etc , as if it's processing something - does this mean it's searching for something even when I haven't put a term in?

The icons seem a little slow to appear even when everything's working normally.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to remedy this, I'd be grateful. I'm reasonably confident altering registry items I'm not sure if it's relevant, but you might be able to see that I've disabled Quick Searches in the search box by altering the DisableSearchBoxSuggestions. Is there any chance this could be responsible for causing this issue? I also notice that when you renable QUick Searches, the options to search "Photos" and "More" in the search box disappear - I find both of these extremely useful, so am unsure as to why are they removed when QuickSearch is enabled the default. I really don't get why Microsoft make it so difficult to customise things...

As I've said, any advice and solutions anyone might have would be welcome. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I see from a search that some folk have issues with their desktop icons disappearing, or the app icons disappearing from search, and that rebuilding the icon cache has helped, but that's not quite the issue I've having. I've tried both the setting the display to 125% thing suggested in one answer, and the "Save taskbar thumbnail previews" from another, and neither have helped. I don't want to mess with the icon cache if it's not likely to be that causing it.

:)

DrNic, Feb 17, 2021

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Retaining Search Box results

I love Windows 10 but its Search Box functionality is a step backwards from Windows 7. As in Windows 7, is there a way to retain Search Box results so I can return to the results if the first file or folder I open isn't the one I want? This was easy in Windows 7 but I can't find a way to do it in Windows 10. The search box results disappear now after I load a file or folder so I have to perform another search from scratch.

Let me try to explain differently:

1. Click the Start button

2. In the search box, type "Microsoft"

3. Click "My Stuff" to limit the search to your computer

4. In the "Show" drop-down box, click "Documents"

5. Click "See All" and select a document

You'll notice that document opens but the search results window is lost so it's impossible to return to it if the first document isn't the one you want, necessitating another search from the beginning which is very frustrating. In Windows 7, the search results window would remain open in a minimized state so it could be activated to open additional documents.

I'm asking if this functionality remains in Windows 10 because it's very annoying to go back to the very beginning to continue searching.

Thank you.

BARNEYKATZ1978, Feb 17, 2021
  4. JohnHeinz Win User

Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Icons disappearing in Windows 10 Search Box results after a while - Similar Threads - Icons disappearing Search

2. Strange icon in the search box windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange icon in the search box windows 10: Is it a new "feature" or I got a virus? It disappeared after relog.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-icon-in-the-search-box-windows-10/51099926-9609-4348-97cd-bd3cd69ef101
  3. Change The Order Of The Search Box Results Icons.

Change The Order Of The Search Box Results Icons.: Greetings, When I click in the search box, where it says "type here to search", on the left side of the Task Bar, at the top of the popup window that shows, from left to right, is: All/Apps/Documents/Web and More, which has a down arrow that pops out:...
  4. icon missing in windows search results

in Cortana
    icon missing in windows search results: hi, when i search for apps that I've installed in windows search, the icon appears missing. this issue only occurs with third party apps, but not pre-installed windows appssuch as photos, weather, this pc please help....
  5. Windows 10 Search Box result showing old icons.

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Box result showing old icons.: Windows 10 Search Box Result shows old icons for all apps. When apps No matter Microsoft Store apps or third-party apps get updated and get new icon, their icons refreshes everywhere except Search Box result. Tried Rebuilding search index, resetting Windows Search, Resetting...
  6. Cortana search box disappeared

Cortana search box disappeared: I went for a factory reset and now cortana search box is missing from taskbar. How do I enable it again. Normal box is still there but the one with cortana logo is not present anymore....
  7. windows search box not producing result from search criteria

in Cortana
    windows search box not producing result from search criteria: windows search box not producing result from search criteria https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-box-not-producing-result-from/e03e771f-4983-40e5-a1b8-c6af5df12d62"
  8. Search box disappears issue

in Cortana
    Search box disappears issue: I was able to get the search box to stop disappearing by changing the setting for Cortana from "Show Search Box " to " Show Cortana Icon ", close the window and then bring up the back again to the Cortana setting and change it back to " Show Search Box ". I have not...
  9. Search box in Windows 10- No results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search box in Windows 10- No results: Hi When I open a folder in Windows 10 File Explorer, and I click on the search box and type in a folder that I want, It tells me NO ITEMS MATCH YOUR SEARCH But it's crazy because I can see the document I want right in front of me in that folder but when I try search it...
  10. Retaining Search Box results

in Windows 10 Support
    Retaining Search Box results: I love Windows 10 but its Search Box functionality is a step backwards from Windows 7. As in Windows 7, is there a way to retain Search Box results so I can return to the results if the first file or folder I open isn't the one I want? This was easy in Windows 7 but I can't...