Windows 10: Icons don't display at their proper scales?

Discus and support Icons don't display at their proper scales? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So you know the file/program icons on the taskbar, desktop, start menu, or in the file explorer? Ever noticed they don't always display properly? What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tuckertcs, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Tuckertcs Win User

Icons don't display at their proper scales?

So you know the file/program icons on the taskbar, desktop, start menu, or in the file explorer? Ever noticed they don't always display properly? What I mean is, an .ico file contains multiple images at different resolutions so that the icon can be displayed at any scale and be pixel-perfect. But windows picks the wrong sizes and then shrinks/scales them.

For example, on my 1920x1080 monitor, the taskbar icons are 24 pixels, but it picks the 32 pixel image from the icon file and then shrinks it, making it blurry.

So far, the taskbar was the only place that icons displayed improperly, but now that I have a 4K monitor with display scale 200% to compensate everywhere BUT the taskbar displays wrongly.

In file explorer, when I set the view to large icons, they display at 192 pixels, but it uses the 256 image in the icon file and shrinks it. If I set it to details view, it displays at 32 pixels but shrinks the 48 image even though there's a 32 image within the icon file. Why does it pick the wrong size when the right size is readily available?

Hell I've tried making my own .ico files that contain only 1 resolution, and it will still display blurry.

Like with my first example, I made an icon that only supported 24 pixels, and put it on the taskbar, but it displays it blurry. As if it stretches it to 32 then shrinks it, since there's no 32 for it to grab. But why does it need to shrink 32 to 24 if 24 is available?

This is just a fundamental issue with windows and it's frankly embarrassing. I've seen an identical post to this a few times on this site and on reddit, sometimes dating back to 2015. What the hell? I want to ask how do I fix this but I get the feeling you can't. But just in case I'm coming here to ask.

:)

Tuckertcs, Aug 2, 2020
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z Program Icon Submission

Suggestion to have an option to change Notification Area icon this way too.
    Suggestion to finally have proper separate Options window like most (all?) Windows programs do.

Naki, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Font and Icon size

Hi Vickie,

It's possible that some settings were accidentally changed, affecting your icons and font size. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps to change the icon size:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Select View.
    • Choose Medium icons or Small icons, whichever you prefer more.

Additionally, you can change the display size of texts and other items by following these steps:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Click Display settings.
    • Under Change the size of text, apps, and other items, drag the slider over to 100%.
    • If the slider is already on 100%, click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, choose the Recommended option from the drop-down choices.

We'll wait for your response to our questions and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Icons don't display at their proper scales?

store and photos app isnt showing proper icons

Hello Aditya,

As you are facing issues with accessing Photos app on your device with icons not displayed properly, we will help you with this issue.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there is any update for Photos app from Windows Store. If found, try to update the app and check if it helps.

Open Windows Store, search for Photos app, check if you are able to find Update option.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter as it troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 3: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue. We will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Icons don't display at their proper scales?

1. Icons don't display at their proper scales? - Similar Threads - Icons don't display

2. Two-display setup, scaling not working properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two-display setup, scaling not working properly: I have two displays, one with 3840x2160 resolution(main one) and one with 2560x1080 resolution(secondary one). They are set to 150% scaling and 100% scaling respectively, so effectively my main display shows everything as if its resolution was 2560x1440. And here comes weird...
  3. Taskbar icons not displaying properly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons not displaying properly?: [IMG] submitted by /u/DanganKichi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jxyfpk/taskbar_icons_not_displaying_properly/
  4. Icons in the start menu are not displaying properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons in the start menu are not displaying properly: Hi Recently I have reinstalled the windows using fresh start by keeping all my personnel files and deleting all the applications. After the installation, I tried to install the software and I installed all of them. But after the installation, icons are usual on the...
  5. Program icons not scaling properly

Program icons not scaling properly: When using windows display scaling i persanaly use custom 133%, but the same applies to default values the icons on task bar is not scaled properly and there is a gap betwen icons and bottom of the screen, with makes harder to press them. It't been like that as long as i use...
  6. Wifi Icon not display properly

Wifi Icon not display properly: Hi, after I update my windows 10 to latest version, the Wifi icon becomes weird. Please help. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-icon-not-display-properly/8addc47d-2e92-4d27-8022-75cc48912c4d
  7. Folder Icons not displaying properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Icons not displaying properly: So this happened today in the afternoon, I was trying to download a file and the folder didn't show up ( Screenshot 1), so when I went to the Drive. It was showing all the folders that I have but It was showing the Icon is a weird way ( Screenshot 2). I don't know why. Can...
  8. DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY: On window 10 on my laptop 75% of my icons are a little white box with dialogue at the bottom of them to say what they are if I enlarge them they are bigger but still a blank icon Micro Soft has suggested I reinstall windows which I did but everything is still the same...
  9. PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    PNG files don't scale with Display Scaling in Windows Photo Viewer: I have two 4k monitors, so I have Windows display scaling at 150%. The only problem is that PNGs have begun acting a little off in Windows Photo Viewer. I've attached an image of two of the exact same file, only I re-saved one as a PNG (on the left). As you can see, the PNG...
  10. Onedrive icons not displaying properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive icons not displaying properly!: I have a very weird issue where the folder and file symbols associated with onedrive (sync, OK or ERROR symbols) are not displayed when navigating the onedrive folder on my PC. All the files and folders only display the sync symbol while the onedrive app in the taskbar shows...