Windows 10: Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...

Discus and support Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My computer is a custom built computer running the most up to date windows 10 drivers and software. Prior to booting up today, I was able to see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Chase2_22, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Chase2_22 Win User

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...

My computer is a custom built computer running the most up to date windows 10 drivers and software. Prior to booting up today, I was able to see the application/folder icons and was able to check their properties as well. Now I can't see the icons, and am not able to check the properties of files. The last updates made on my computer prior to today 2/22 were, February 21, 2023—KB5022906 OS Builds 19042.2673, 19044.2673, and 19045.2673 PreviewIntel - net - 22.200.0.6 2KB2267602 Version 1.383.379.0KB2267602 Version 1.383.410.0

:)

Chase2_22, Feb 22, 2023
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Feb 22, 2023
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Feb 22, 2023
  4. Nemosisa Win User

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...

All icon images have disappeared, and can't open app properties

I have tried step 1 and 2- they made no difference.
    Step 3- found corrupt files but unable to repair
    I did the restore health command and got this result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... 60611d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-control-panel.png

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... 60612d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-desktop.png

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... 60613d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-file-explorer.png

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... 60614d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-fileexplorer2.png

Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... 60615d1485962345t-all-icon-images-have-disappeared-cant-open-app-properties-taskbar.png

Nemosisa, Feb 22, 2023
Thema:

1. Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of... - Similar Threads - Icons applications folders

2. The application icon on the desktop disappears.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The application icon on the desktop disappears.: ,, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-icon-on-the-desktop-disappears/a3c0c3ce-96a5-4d6b-91f2-01daa84dc1fe
  3. The application icon on the desktop disappears.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The application icon on the desktop disappears.: ,, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-icon-on-the-desktop-disappears/a3c0c3ce-96a5-4d6b-91f2-01daa84dc1fe
  4. The application icon on the desktop disappears.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...: My computer is a custom built computer running the most up to date windows 10 drivers and software. Prior to booting up today, I was able to see the application/folder icons and was able to check their properties as well. Now I can't see the icons, and am not able to check...
  6. Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons for applications and folders have disappeared. Also unable to view the properties of...: My computer is a custom built computer running the most up to date windows 10 drivers and software. Prior to booting up today, I was able to see the application/folder icons and was able to check their properties as well. Now I can't see the icons, and am not able to check...
  7. Viewing icons in folders?

Viewing icons in folders?: Some jpg files show actual image in icon, other jpg files show generic file icon. It changes from refresh to refresh. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-icons-in-folders/91743be2-2103-45fb-a21d-33d923283482"
  8. The yellow folder icons have disappeared

The yellow folder icons have disappeared: This is driving us mad and we can't get help from any crappy online auto answers. When you go into a documents file, all the yellow icons for indivual folders have disappeared. Please can anyone help?...
  9. Icons and Folders Disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons and Folders Disappear: This issue just happened twice in the last week. Did a search and there were very old threads related to this but none of the fixes worked. I image my C drive every other day so it only takes about 3 mins to restore, but that's not the point. All the icons on the desktop and...
  10. All icon images have disappeared, and can't open app properties

in Windows 10 Support
    All icon images have disappeared, and can't open app properties: All the app icons have disappeared from my desktop, as well as task bar and file Explorer. Where the icon should be is just a blank (but clickable) space. I tried to manually alter the app icon by right clicking and going into properties, but no properties will open! I've...