Windows 10: Icons forget size and positions on reboot.

Discus and support Icons forget size and positions on reboot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After setting the base resolution to 125%, the screen icons seemed unaffected--until the system is rebooted. At this point, icons are reset to maximum... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by William Vaughn, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Icons forget size and positions on reboot.

After setting the base resolution to 125%, the screen icons seemed unaffected--until the system is rebooted. At this point, icons are reset to maximum size (only eight fit on the screen). Once icons are manually resized, (Ctrl-Scroll), they're scattered all over the screen. Set "auto-position" and they return to their correct place (left border of the primary screen). Reboot and these changes did not persist. I assume that the system thinks I'm blind.

Frankly, I think the system is not shutting down correctly (completely?) and not writing these changes to the registry until the last minute and thus not persisted.

Running a dual-monitor Lenovo Thinkpad W510.

Ideas?

:)

William Vaughn, Aug 6, 2015
  2. yuyoyuppe Win User

Windows 10 Start in Full Screen mode rearranges my icons randomly

Title pretty much says it. I like win8-styled start menu and today I upgraded to Windows 10. However, after each reboot icons on start screen become of the default size and change its positions randomly.

yuyoyuppe, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Creators Update Desktop Icons keep getting rearranged

It didn't help me.

After reboot, icons are in different positions. If I refresh (F5) they will shift around into seemingly random different positions.

Ron-Francis, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

Icons forget size and positions on reboot.

1. Icons forget size and positions on reboot. - Similar Threads - Icons forget size

2. Icon positioning?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon positioning?: Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can turn it off and the situation persists. Desired Outcome: for a new folder to remain WHERE I CREATE IT, instead of snapping...
  3. W10 forgets about window positioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 forgets about window positioning: Windows 10 Pro 64bits 1909 18363.1316 (No, don't tell me to go 2003 because it messed up some drivers on a previous 1909 to 2003 upgrade, like Phone detection via USB among other things like half screen vertically blacked out when pressing Win+S) Let's say that if i open a...
  4. Screen position/size

Screen position/size: I am working on replacing an arcade screen with a 43inch flat screen but my issue is after setting the orentiation some of the bottom (left side) will be hidden by the cabinet i need to set the screen position so that the screen is inside my glass frame but I cannot find any...
  5. Programs forgetting monitor/positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs forgetting monitor/positions: I am running dual monitors both through DP and I use my second monitor for my system info and other information. My problem is when ever my pc goes to sleep or the monitors turn off if i walk away for 20 min all the programs i put on the 2nd monitor reset to the main monitor...
  6. Window Size and Position

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Size and Position: I might already have a thread about this. An application window will have a given size and position upon initial installation. I have a window which has had both changed since its initial installation. I want to restore the original values. I tried uninstalling it and...
  7. My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot.

My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot.: I have a dual monitor setup and for a while it was working fine, but now whenever I boot up my computer it resets the icons to the second monitor and because the second monitor is smaller it moves the far right row to the middle of the first monitor. I know it has something...
  8. window size and position

window size and position: HOW IS IT THAT WINDOWS10 CANNOT REMEMBER THE SIZE AND POSITION OF AN OPEN WINDOW/APPLICATION AFTER IT HAS BEEN CLOSED AND THEN RE-OPENED? I've done a quick search that revealed that previous versions of Windows have had the same issue with the system failing to do the...
  9. App size/position

App size/position: Hi, I recently had a problem with my PC where I had to reset it and I took a photo of my desktop so I can re download everything.[ATTACH] As you can see the icons are miss aligned. Does anyone know a fix to this?...
  10. Icon Positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Positions: I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem. I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect...