Windows 10: Icons getting smaller when on external monitor

Discus and support Icons getting smaller when on external monitor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, when my laptop connected via HDMI cable to external monitor and I am closing the lid, the icons on the desktop (and whole resolution) getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dr. Fridmar, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Icons getting smaller when on external monitor

Hello,

when my laptop connected via HDMI cable to external monitor and I am closing the lid, the icons on the desktop (and whole resolution) getting smaller on the external monitor.

somehow the process of pressing windows key+P and choosing extend displays not working, and causing the desktop not fit the external monitor screen at all.

any help would be appreciated.

:)

Dr. Fridmar, Oct 29, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    External Monitor with Quicken

Hi Mark,

It is possible that the display resolution automatically adjusts after connecting to an external monitor. For us to properly isolate this issue, we have some questions for you:

• Are you experiencing the same issue even without using the Quicken tool?
    • Have you checked if the display resolution settings of the Surface device and the external monitor is the same?
    • Have you tried checking for a graphics device driver update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to isolate the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Oct 29, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

Icons getting smaller when on external monitor

Techpowerup bookmark icon in firefox?

changed the favicon for the forum
    uploaded a new smaller (bytes) icon for the main site
    added html code to suggest the icon to browsers

but i still cant get it to show up in firefox favourites

W1zzard, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Icons getting smaller when on external monitor

1. Icons getting smaller when on external monitor - Similar Threads - Icons getting smaller

2. The image of my desktop icons suddenly gets smaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The image of my desktop icons suddenly gets smaller: Hello, I've been dealing with this issue for months and I don't know what to do. The thing is, in my Desktop I have my direct access/icons in Large, and they randomly not always, not the same ones change the image/.ico to a small one. Sometimes they just get big again, but...
  3. The image of my desktop icons suddenly gets smaller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The image of my desktop icons suddenly gets smaller: Hello, I've been dealing with this issue for months and I don't know what to do. The thing is, in my Desktop I have my direct access/icons in Large, and they randomly not always, not the same ones change the image/.ico to a small one. Sometimes they just get big again, but...
  4. The image of my desktop icons suddenly gets smaller

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons re-arrange when connecting external monitor

Desktop icons re-arrange when connecting external monitor: I have a laptop as my primary work computer and sometimes I connect it on the same monitor as always. But this time I wanted to test what would happen if I set the secondary monitor as primary. Since then, if my laptop is set to primary, I connect it to my monitor and if...
  6. Display smaller than monitor

Display smaller than monitor: Wiped off my key board now the screen doesn't fit. How do I reset the screen? Cant find the right settings!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-smaller-than-monitor/e0b41fe8-4fa2-4c9f-adec-49fcf6cd8024
  7. Random Icons Turn Smaller

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random Icons Turn Smaller: [ATTACH] Many icons keep breaking and it is getting really irritating. Does anyone know how to fix this? submitted by /u/Killerbot528 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8ljw9/random_icons_turn_smaller/
  8. Enlarged taskbar icons on the external monitor

Enlarged taskbar icons on the external monitor: Ho do I fix this without a restart?[ATTACH] On my second monitor, the time font is too large and the taskbar alert icons are fuzzy like they're not scaling correctly: [ATTACH] Problem occurs when I dock my laptop. Have had the same issue with a Surface laptop dock and my...
  9. My icons get smaller after a while

My icons get smaller after a while: Hi people, so I love customizing my games icon.. I spent hours searching and sometimes creating the best icons for all of my games with the highest resolution possible. but after a while, random icons get smaller for no reason I searched a lot for a solution but I didn't find...
  10. Icons on taskbar smaller now?

Icons on taskbar smaller now?: Hi, I'm trying to work out how to get the below icons larger: *Wink) Any suggestions? Thanks! Andy 17534