Windows 10: Icons gone, labels still there

Discus and support Icons gone, labels still there in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Today, I started up my computer and, for some reason, all of the icons for my applications, folders, and all other files were missing, but the names... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CATN1P, Mar 12, 2017.

1. CATN1P Win User

Icons gone, labels still there

Today, I started up my computer and, for some reason, all of the icons for my applications, folders, and all other files were missing, but the names were still there. I also noticed that the icons for my applications in the taskbar were replaced with generic .exe icons.

Icons gone, labels still there [​IMG]

The same thing applies to my folders.

As I continued to use my computer, I found that all of the icons would appear when downloading a file from the internet or attaching a file to an email.

I have restarted my computer several times, restarted explorer.exe, and rebuilt my icon cache, but nothing has happened. This is really annoying and I hope there is an easy fix for it.

Thanks. *Smile

:)

CATN1P, Mar 12, 2017

2. Desktop icons missing. Text labels are there.

We appreciate your response. Microsoft delivers Windows Defender updates through
    Windows Update, through Automatic Updates, and through
    Windows Server Update Service. There is a possibility that you are getting this error message because of problems with these services instead of with problems with
    Windows Defender.

To address your concern with updating Windows Defender, we suggest that you manually install the update definitions. To do so, follow the detailed steps provided on this
    link.

With regard to your concern with missing icons on your Desktop, since the issue persist with other user profile, we conclude that you are experiencing this issue due to a system file corruption on your computer. To resolve this, we suggest running these
    troubleshooting methods:

Method 1: Run the System
    File Checker
    tool.

It is a utility that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system and restore corrupted files. The link contains further information about how to run the
    System File Checker tool.

Method 2: Run the Deployment
    Image Servicing and Management
    tool.

This tool will automatically repair the components of your Windows operating system, and records the corruptions to the log file. The process generally takes 15-30 minutes depending on the corruption and size
    of the partition.

To run the DISM
    tool, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key+ X,
      then click on Command Prompt (Admin).
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
    • In Command Prompt, type
      DISM /Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth,
      then hit Enter.
    • Once the scan is finished, restart your
      computer.

Note: While
    running the
    DISM tool on your computer, if any bad sectors are found on the system, data loss might occur. We suggest that you backup your files
    before running DISM.

If you'll need further assistance, we are here to help.

Darleen Pen, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Desktop icons missing. Text labels are there.

Hi,

To further isolate your concern, we suggest that you create a Test User Profile. Using the Test User Profile, try to install the update for Window Defender and check if you will have the same issue with missing icons. This is for us to check
    if the issue is isolated with one User Profile account or multiple accounts.

To create a test user profile, follow these steps:

• On Search, type Setting then hit the
      Enter key.

• On Settings window, select Accounts.

• Select Family & other people.

• Select Add someone else to this PC.

• Name the user profile as TEST.

• Assign a password for TEST user, then select
      Next.

• Sign in TEST user.

We will be waiting for your response.

Darleen Pen, Mar 12, 2017
  4. brummyfan Win User

brummyfan, Mar 12, 2017
  5. CATN1P Win User
    CATN1P, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons gone, labels still there - Similar Threads - Icons gone labels

2. Icon label background color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon label background color: Hello, I am trying to make my computer look like an older version of Windows but I can't find any information online on how to change the icon label background color. Does anyone know how to do this?...
  3. Icon label background color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon label background color: Hello, I am trying to make my computer look like an older version of Windows but I can't find any information online on how to change the icon label background color. Does anyone know how to do this?...
  4. Increase ICON label font size???????

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase ICON label font size???????: Seems I can adjust all the font sizes in Windows 10 and ICON sizes but the ICON labels remain tiny. Any fix coming for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-icon-label-font-size/f56feeaf-3894-4e38-9eba-2b9d5fdcad0d
  5. Icons are gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons are gone: Idk why but my computer icons are gone in my taskbar could you please help me fix this. https://gyazo.com/021507abdbe1d42f89104c0f23fe88ab https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-are-gone/d570cfa1-dd36-4e99-8896-fccbe179f3bc
  6. Icon labels

Icon labels: I want to set ALL icon labels (including desktop icon labels) to a larger size and bold. How is this done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-labels/c82b5ade-b36c-4c52-9fb6-7c23f9cf22ae
  7. Labels on Taskbar Icons

Labels on Taskbar Icons: I've accidently changed something that now gives a description for those icons / windows which are open - [ATTACH] How do I get rid of them? TIA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/labels-on-taskbar-icons/6a4ac344-0405-42dc-85d5-f4c0bbdeda3b
  8. Desktop Icon labels

Desktop Icon labels: Desktop Icon labels are shadowed, hard to read. How do I change the font for the icons? I'd prefer a simple Ariel font. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-labels/9c4c706c-65db-4310-834e-ca9ae656f2b4
  9. Desktop icons have labels but no pic???

Desktop icons have labels but no pic???: Have spent hours trying to resolve this issue but no luck. The picture part of my desktop icons has disappeared. in a folder, file thumbnails show their name/label but no picture. Have already tried the suggested 'canned' methods to repair. Useless....
  10. The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there

in Windows 10 Support
    The icons on desktop have disappeared but labels still there: i had this issue before and I reset the computer and got it all back and when I turned on the computer this morning the icons were missing and just the names of them were there. and on the task bar there are icons there but not the ones that fit the names they are like a dll...