Windows 10: Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

Discus and support Icons have black square on them as I mouse over in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an odd problem. Desktop can look 100% fine, then as I move the mouse cursor over the icons, as I move the mouse over each one, they have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ojustaboo, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Ojustaboo Win User

Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

I have an odd problem.

Desktop can look 100% fine, then as I move the mouse cursor over the icons, as I move the mouse over each one, they have a black square around them. It seems completely random when it does it.

Today it did it while installing a piece of software, then it had finished installing, the icons went back to normal.

Then a little later it happened again, no software being installed.

Very occasionally after this, the whole background pic turns to black.

Logging out and back in fixes it.

Paid for version of Malewarebytes gives a clean bill of health as does free Avast.

It's been doing this for a few weeks on and off. Yesterday evening I reformatted and reloaded Win 10. (well I reloaded from a trueimage disk image backup taken in May this year, then did win updates etc. has only been doing this for a couple of weeks or so)

Today it's still doing it. I just took a snip of part of the desktop after I moused over the icons,

Icons have black square on them as I mouse over [​IMG]

Spec as in my profile

edit: I just removed a USB drive and this is the result

Icons have black square on them as I mouse over [​IMG]

I'll log out and back in and it will be fine, sometimes when I just do thinks like browse web, open software etc it sorts it's self out

Any ideas?

Many thanks

:)

Ojustaboo, Sep 19, 2018
  2. AmitHazra Win User

Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons

Follow these steps :

freegyan.tk

AmitHazra, Sep 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 desktop Icons are blotted with small black square

Original title: My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

MarianneCusick, Sep 19, 2018
  4. Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

Black Squares On My Icons

Hello Everyone!

I followed a tutorial to the letter in how to remove shortcut icon arrows.

After restarting my PC I noted the icon shortcut arrows GONE!.

I SHUT DOWN my PC for the day and the following day when I turned on my PC I had BLACK SQUARES on my icons.

Don't know what to do. Can someone please help?

Thank you,

Carlos.

Carlos F Diaz, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

1. Icons have black square on them as I mouse over - Similar Threads - Icons black square

2. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  3. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  4. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Mouse has black square when hovering over videos.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse has black square when hovering over videos.: I have a black square below my mouse and to the right, it only appears when hovering over a video on twitch or youtube. https://i.imgur.com/wrtZ0RZ.png...
  6. Mouse has black square when hovering over videos.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse has black square when hovering over videos.: I have a black square below my mouse and to the right, it only appears when hovering over a video on twitch or youtube. https://i.imgur.com/wrtZ0RZ.png...
  7. Mouse has black square when hovering over videos.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  9. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

in Windows 10 Customization
    black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...
  10. Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them: I just bought a new PC on Thursday and it came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. Having used versions 2.0 (yes I am ancient *Wink), carefully avoiding Vista, ME and 8.x, and on via XP to 7, I felt it couldn't get much better now and had decided I would resist upgrading as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. some folders have a black square over them?