Windows 10: Icons in Windows Explorer constantly refreshing, high CPU for explorer

Discus and support Icons in Windows Explorer constantly refreshing, high CPU for explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, When an explorer window of some directory is open, the icons on desktop and the taskbar keep refreshing every other second and explorer.exe has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CeeMX, Sep 18, 2020.

1. /u/CeeMX Win User

Icons in Windows Explorer constantly refreshing, high CPU for explorer

Hi,

When an explorer window of some directory is open, the icons on desktop and the taskbar keep refreshing every other second and explorer.exe has a really high CPU load.

I already tried sfc /scannow, removing IconCache.db and disabling automatic color selection on desktop - nothing fixed it. I’m out of ideas now, as also google research doesn’t gave anything useful.

I also noticed it doesn’t seem to occur on empty directories (tested with a full downloads dir and after recycling everything there).

Did anybody experience this issue and can give me a hint what else I can try? Reinstalling Windows would be last resort... Windows is up to date and I also updated all the Firmwares/Drivers (Lenovo Thinkpad).

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/CeeMX
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CeeMX, Sep 18, 2020

2. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Sep 18, 2020
  4. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Icons in Windows Explorer constantly refreshing, high CPU for explorer wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

Thema:

1. Icons in Windows Explorer constantly refreshing, high CPU for explorer - Similar Threads - Icons Explorer constantly

2. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  3. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage: I've had Windows Explorer constantly taking up 16-20% CPU in Windows 10 on a quadcore in recent days. Restarting the Windows Explorer process forked another process COM Surrogate that now used 16-20% of CPU. Rebooting didn't help neither.Considering there are a few closed...
  4. Windows explorer constantly taking up high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Constant VERY high CPU and RAM utilization of Windows Explorer

Constant VERY high CPU and RAM utilization of Windows Explorer: I have tried the following Rescheduling work for Windows Defender see https://geeksadvice.com/how-to-fix-antimalware-service-executable-high-cpu-usage-on-windows/ Restarting Windows Explorer process Closing OneDrive application Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on...
  6. Windows Explorer using high CPU.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer using high CPU.: Windows explorer is constantly using over 15% cpu for whatever reason and total cpu utilisation is up at 17% at idle . I've tried everything: uninstalling AVG Which was using similar cpu at the same time, deleting all shortcuts on the desktop, using the chkdsk commands,...
  7. Windows Explorer Requires Constant Refreshing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Requires Constant Refreshing?: My Windows 10 64-bit workstation is very stable, and has been so for at least 2 years. Never crashes or locks up. Easily the best and most reliable Windows workstation I've ever owned. However, recently when I move files or do file-related things in Windows Explorer, the...
  8. icon refreshing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icon refreshing in file explorer: When my Windows 10 file explorer opens a folder containing a .JPG file, it triggers a non-stop frenzy of repeatedly refreshing every icon in sight including the desktop and probably others as well. I have tried many suggestions for fixing things relating to Explorer but none...
  9. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  10. Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage

Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage: Hi, I have an HP Laptop running windows 10 pro 1809 (fully up to date). Recently the user has noticed at all times from power up to shutdown all of the icons, both desktop and taskbar are constantly refreshing. I have rolled back and re-installed the display driver to...