Windows 10: Icons in windows explorer disappear within a few seconds

Discus and support Icons in windows explorer disappear within a few seconds in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, have windows 10. My Windows Explorer was showing the icons and folders properly until recently. Windows Explorer suddenly stopped showing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sedagabab, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Sedagabab Win User

Icons in windows explorer disappear within a few seconds

Hello, have windows 10. My Windows Explorer was showing the icons and folders properly until recently. Windows Explorer suddenly stopped showing the icons and folders and shows empty boxes. I tried unchecking the box that says "always show icons never thumbnails" in the windows explorer. Also tried checking box in the control panel under "systems" sections, "advanced", "performance" for showing icons. It did not help. Also ran the .BAT file for rebuilding the windows icons cache and rebooted the computer. I had previously asked this this question on this forum and one of the expert consultants send me the steps to force the icon cache to rebuild itself as he thought that my icon cache is corrupt. I followed these instructions to rebuild the icon cache and initially got excited. After rebooting, initially the icons were showing for a few seconds. but within a few seconds they disappeared again. I have attached a current screen shot of windows explorer. Really appreciate your help. Icons in windows explorer disappear within a few seconds a882c063-039f-408d-a2b2-f86267a80ee5?upload=true.jpg

:)

Sedagabab, Feb 14, 2020

2. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Icons disappeared and theme changed.

Hi Roland,

Corrupted system files may be one of the possible causes why the icons on your desktop disappeared. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried creating a new user profile and check if the problem is in the current profile or also with the new profile?

Meanwhile, I suggest that you follow the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this
    thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Additionally, You can reset the Icon Cache. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • In the Explorer folder, you will see a lot of files with the
      iconcache name. Delete all of them.

Once you have deleted all the iconcache files, a folder names IconCacheToDelete
    will appear. Simply restart your PC and this folder will disappear.

In the event that you are unable to delete some of the files, see the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt. (Win+X > Command Prompt (Admin))
    • Type the following command, and then press Enter:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

If the issue still persists, I recommend you try the suggestion provided by
    kpeW9
    on this thread or the steps shared by
    Guru Khan G on this thread
    to troubleshoot your concern. This will also help you scan for corruption and restore corrupted files/Windows corruptions error.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Feb 14, 2020
  4. wolf2009 Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Icons in windows explorer disappear within a few seconds - Similar Threads - Icons explorer disappear

2. Windows 11 explorer crashing every few seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 explorer crashing every few seconds: Working on my computer all day and suddenly late afternoon explorer started crashing every few seconds - just constant crash-then-reload. I did the usual things - checked for new updates none, I'm current, rolled back recent updates, uninstalled display adapter drivers, ran...
  3. Windows 11 explorer crashing every few seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 explorer crashing every few seconds: Working on my computer all day and suddenly late afternoon explorer started crashing every few seconds - just constant crash-then-reload. I did the usual things - checked for new updates none, I'm current, rolled back recent updates, uninstalled display adapter drivers, ran...
  4. taskbar icons keep disappearing and reappearing after a few seconds

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar icons keep disappearing and reappearing after a few seconds: i cant find any fix that works please somebody help me i think it happens due to my desktop refreshing for some reason https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-keep-disappearing-and-reappearing/ef012aaf-8a03-4cb1-ba28-ffa7c121dd7d
  5. taskbar icons keep disappearing and reappearing after a few seconds

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar icons keep disappearing and reappearing after a few seconds: every time it happens it also alt tabs me away its really annoying and i cant seem to find a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons-keep-disappearing-and-reappearing/6bdc53de-96ef-46d7-96d3-622b85c247bc
  6. Windows Explorer not responding for a few seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer not responding for a few seconds: Hi, Windows 10 Pro 20H2, all up to date. The PC freezes from time to time, for a few seconds or more. Mouse can move but click won't have effect. Key stroke will be accepted but not displayed until it unfreeze. I started to have Task manager running on the side so I...
  7. Change the icon of Default Program - Within Explorer!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the icon of Default Program - Within Explorer!: For working on project, currently I am using a special default program for opening .zip files - it is a program for easy-previewing of pictures from .zip files! Can I change this icon it is now giving me from using the program, and now is being put over every .zip file on my...
  8. Laptop exits hibernate mode within a few seconds?

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop exits hibernate mode within a few seconds?: I've set my laptop to go into hibernate mode when I close the lid. It does this for the first 20 seconds or so but then wakes up and drains a bunch of battery. On the event viewer, kernel-power says my laptop wakes up 1 second after sleeping, but power-troubleshooter only...
  9. icons within my email disappeared -

icons within my email disappeared -: the icons at the bottom of my email disappeared - I have no bold no font size - no attachment symbol - nothing I think they might have disappeared when I updated windows. How do I find these and put them back in my email? Thanks for your help....
  10. Internet Explorer will come up for a few seconds and then disappear.

Internet Explorer will come up for a few seconds and then disappear.: Internet Explorer will come up for a few seconds and then disappear. It will not stay up long enough to change settings. I tried to restore to an earlier time and it said I probably had a firewall. I disabled it and tried again and it said the same thing. I have Windows 10...