Windows 10: Icons Missing (displayed as blank white pages)

Discus and support Icons Missing (displayed as blank white pages) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My current PC status: (purchased new in October 2018 with Windows preinstalled) Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 1803 (latest update as of Jan. 21,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ktissu1, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ktissu1 Win User

Icons Missing (displayed as blank white pages)

My current PC status: (purchased new in October 2018 with Windows preinstalled)

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1803 (latest update as of Jan. 21, 2019)

OS Build: 17134.556

My Problem:

File icons (both in the File Explorer & on the Desktop) are showing up as blank white pages as opposed to the actual icon associated with the default application for that file type.

As far as I can tell, this problem only applies to file types that have a Microsoft app designated as the default app for that file type. For example, currently on my PC, JPGs are associated with Microsoft Photos, so all of the JPG files have a blank white page for an icon instead of a Photos app icon. This problem also applies to all of the Microsoft office products like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.. When I change the default app to a non-Microsoft app, the respective icon shows up.

Here's a screenshot:

Icons Missing (displayed as blank white pages) 472e415f-fbf6-4263-9901-e0cdd1bc1db7?upload=true.jpg

I've done a lot of research lately and I've tried everything I could find, including the most common approach of deleting/rebuilding iconcache.db, of which I tried several different methods and still no success. Some people mentioned that it could be a registry problem and the solution is to copy over specific files that are missing from another computer, but I also read that doing that is an easy way to introduce a virus, so I've avoided it thus far.

I'd rather not reinstall Windows if I can avoid it, so hopefully someone here can help! Does anybody know what could possibly be my issue? Any solution?

Thanks!

:)

ktissu1, Jan 21, 2019

2. Internet Explorer shortcut icons displaying as blank white page icon

After installing windows 10, I tried creating a desktop shortcut for a web page. I just realised that the sortcut icon is just a blank white page which used to be a world graphics on previous versions.

Is this a bug, can anyone else please confirm that this is the case for them?

Thanks

Ves Akbayir, Jan 21, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update

I noticed this too but not on any Office or Store Apps. This worked for me, for the few that were affected with a blank page icon- go to Program Files, locate the exe for, say, VLC, and right click send shortcut to desktop. That will display correct icon. Drag shortcut to All Apps list or pin to taskbar and click replace, if prompted. The rebuild icon tutorial suggested may help with the Store or Office apps. Good Luck

mrgeek, Jan 21, 2019
  4. O0mix0O Win User

O0mix0O, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Icons Missing (displayed as blank white pages) - Similar Threads - Icons Missing displayed

2. Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page: Dear Windows I was a Windows 11 insider, but all of a sudden all my desktop icons began to blank or turn white Then I removed myself from the insider program and the problem continues I can use the various short-term fixes but it keeps occurring Then tried this one, but it...
  3. Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page: Dear Windows I was a Windows 11 insider, but all of a sudden all my desktop icons began to blank or turn white Then I removed myself from the insider program and the problem continues I can use the various short-term fixes but it keeps occurring Then tried this one, but it...
  4. Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page.: Since updating to Windows 11 random desktop icons turn white or a blank page., however the application / program works. Randomly the icons turn white with no rhyme or reason. Any fixes ?...
  5. Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page.

Windows 11 - Random desktop icons turn white, blank page.: Since updating to Windows 11 random desktop icons turn white or a blank page., however the application / program works. Randomly the icons turn white with no rhyme or reason. Any fixes ?...
  6. Icons on windows 10 are blank white

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons on windows 10 are blank white: A lot of my icons are blank white, and when I go to their file location it shows them as normal. I tried deleting the icon cache, restarting computer, deleting the game and reinstalling, but nothing works. I have all the newest updates, scanned my computers for viruses and...
  7. Icons on windows 10 are blank white

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on windows 10 are blank white: A lot of my icons are blank white, and when I go to their file location it shows them as normal. I tried deleting the icon cache, restarting computer, deleting the game and reinstalling, but nothing works. I have all the newest updates, scanned my computers for viruses and...
  8. Icons on windows 10 are blank white

9. Icon displayed as a blank white sheet and UAC overlay disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icon displayed as a blank white sheet and UAC overlay disappeared: I have a problem with a program (.exe) icon that goes wrong. This exe icon have the UAC blue/yellow shield overlay. I change the compatibility settings (run as admin, dpi to system) and now the program exe icon will not display its original icon anymore. It is now a blank...
  10. White, blank, desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    White, blank, desktop icons: Hello, My problem is this: All of the desktop icons for websites that I have loaded on my desktop suddenly all turned to white, blank icons. They were installed using the drag & drop method, which also no longer seems to work. What is the solution? I have tried to remove...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2019 white page icons

2. applications icons are blank and and states no application is associated

3. icons missing white

4. missing blank files,
  5. windows icons blank apr 2019