Windows 10: Icons Missing from Start and File Menus

Discus and support Icons Missing from Start and File Menus in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a minor gripe, but the icons that were present are no longer there. For example, Alienware icons for the native Dell software don't appear on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by {Matt-Gonzales}, May 8, 2021.

1. Icons Missing from Start and File Menus

This is a minor gripe, but the icons that were present are no longer there. For example, Alienware icons for the native Dell software don't appear on the start menu. I first noticed this after installing then uninstalling GIMP GUI, an image editing software, which I set as my default image program for editing saved pictures and images. After the program was removed, the icons disappeared. Prior to that, they were all replaced by the GIMP GUI logo/icon. Now everything is the default Windows 10 Picture icon. Not sure what to do about this. Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

{Matt-Gonzales}, May 8, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, May 8, 2021
  3. Start Menu icons are missing

Hi Janes,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Which all Icons are missing on the Start menu?

• Are you able to find the Icons, when you click on
      All apps
      in the start menu?

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to search for the Icons in the search bar, if the icon appears in the search list then
    right click on the icon and select Pin to Start and check if the icons appears in the start menu.

If the issue persists, Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 8, 2021
  4. Icons Missing from Start and File Menus

Windows 10 start menu missing icon

I followed all your troubleshooting steps and the icons are still missing. All of the missing icons in the start menu are all windows store apps. If you have any further suggestions on what to try, please let me know. Thanks.

William Kochevar, May 8, 2021
Thema:

Icons Missing from Start and File Menus

1. Icons Missing from Start and File Menus - Similar Threads - Icons Missing Start

2. Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.: After reconnecting the drive, the icons disappeared. It’s possible to run applications, but it doesn’t look aesthetically pleasing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icons-are-missing-from-the-start-screen/5088cf9f-1fec-4053-a129-fd9b1ccf857a
  3. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Many icons are missing from the Start menu: Windows 10, Updated many times so it's not a particular version issue.Many Icons don't display with their intended icons when I search on the Start menu. They instead display a generic JPG icon.I have tried the sfc/scan now, refreshing thumbnail cache, and basics like...
  4. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Many icons are missing from the Start menu: Windows 10, Updated many times so it's not a particular version issue.Many Icons don't display with their intended icons when I search on the Start menu. They instead display a generic JPG icon.I have tried the sfc/scan now, refreshing thumbnail cache, and basics like...
  5. Many icons are missing from the Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Winrar icon missing from zipped files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Winrar icon missing from zipped files: Sorry if this is in the wrong category. All zipped files have the plain windows icon. Checked default apps and they all have the winrar icon, and integration in winrar has all the files checked. Reinstalled winrar but no joy. Windows has the latest updates, 20H2 19042.685....
  7. App icons missing from Start menu

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    App icons missing from Start menu: [ATTACH] The thumbnails on some apps downloaded from microsoft store are missing. I tried reinstalling these apps. But the problem is not solved. Moreover I cannot download messenger app from microsoft store. How can I solve this problems....
  8. Printer missing from drop-down menus

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer missing from drop-down menus: I have an HP Compaq 6200 SFF running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro that won't print to either of two HP printers I have tried. I have tried an HP OfficeJet 3830 and an HP OfficeJet 4650 and get identical results with both. I can, though, print to a Canon MP470 (so maybe the...
  9. Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Context Menus from START MENU Icons: Please be aware that setting the group policy option: "Remove Access to the Context Menus for the Taskbar" to "Enabled", in Windows 10, does NOT work. This Group Policy setting is located at: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu & Taskbar It is...
  10. Start Menu: One of two menus is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu: One of two menus is missing: On the bottom left of the Taskbar, there are two icons: one gives me the task view and is NOT a problem. I am very new to W10 so I'm not sure how the window icon is supposed to work. If I right click, I get a menu and I understand that. However, if I left click, nothing...