Windows 10: Icons moved to extended display

Discus and support Icons moved to extended display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Icons moved to my extended display, how to restore I move them back manually, reboot and they go back I've tried all sorts of suggestions with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by keelhauler JohnKobak, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Icons moved to extended display

Icons moved to my extended display, how to restore

I move them back manually, reboot and they go back

I've tried all sorts of suggestions with no success

Is this info stored in desktop.ini, and where should that file be located.

Computer search shows many desktop.ini files

:)

keelhauler JohnKobak, Jun 26, 2019

2. no audio on extended display

Is your computer’s Operating System updated?

How about your Audio drivers, can you check if it is updated and can support HDMI audio output?

If your answer to those questions are yes, then you can check these steps to setup audio for your extended display:

• Connect your laptop to the extended display using the HDMI cable.
    • On the lower right side of your task bar, right click on the Audio icon.
    • Select Playback device
    • If you don’t see your extended display (T.V) you can right click on a blank space on the Playback tab and select Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
    • One your extended display (T.V) is showing, please check if it is enable.
    • Then Select OK.

Do a test and check if the audio is now playing on the extended display, if issue still persists, try to restart your computer without removing the HDMI for both devices.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Jun 26, 2019
  3. no audio on extended display

We would like to know more information from your end to know what is the next possible step that we can offer for you to resolve your issue.

• Were you able to get an audio on your extended display before? Or is this the first time that you will set up an extended display with your computer?
    • Aside from the HDMI cable, have you tried using VGA cable instead to connect to your extended display?
    • Can you verify if you have any audio on your speakers if you are not connected to the extended display?

We look forward to your reply.

Jarius Tol, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Icons moved to extended display

Desktop Icons move when changing to or from Extending Display.

Desktop icons are not managed successfully in Win 10 or any other previous versions of windows for more than the last 10 years (at least as long as there has been the ability to use two displays).

Currently using a laptop with external display that is set to be the 2nd display in extended display settings.

When I go portable with my laptop there can be several impacts including No Icons usually accompanied with primary desktop being the 2nd monitor that is no longer present. Recovery of course causes all desktop icons to take up a new location when the laptop
    display is restored to primary.

Attempting to be proactive by changing display mode from extended to single primary (of the laptop of course) does not always prevent icons from moving.

Having searched the community questions and answers I have found all the supposed fixes already in place showing that Microsoft is both listening and reacting by making those changes during updates (except for system restore which appears to need user to
    initiate creating a restore fileset.). However there is a LONG history of ICONs changing position when using dual display configurations. There are a few other bugs that have been in windows for a long time suggesting that Win 10 is a rehash of prior work
    allowing old bugs to persist, but I digress.

This problem has another source of scrambling icon position by the use of screen zoom scaling.

(Hold down CTRL and move the mouse wheel.) Display changes resolution and Icons move to stay visible on the display as the resolution is reduced. Neat feature but when changing back to higher resolution original Icon positions are not restored.

This is not a video driver issue, nor a Icon setting like auto arrange being active. Please assume I have already covered the obvious.

Windows 10 needs a setting that provides a position lock for existing icons on the desktop.

Yes that also means an array of icon position information must be safely stored as each display resolution will need different positions defined.

DavidTweedy, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Icons moved to extended display

1. Icons moved to extended display - Similar Threads - Icons moved extended

2. Extended Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extended Display: Recently when I had Windows 10, I was connecting my laptop to a docking station as well as my two monitors. Now since I did the Windows 11 update the monitors show as 'No Signal' and I am unable to get it connected. I have updated drivers, ensured Windows is up to date,...
  3. Extended Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extended Display: Recently when I had Windows 10, I was connecting my laptop to a docking station as well as my two monitors. Now since I did the Windows 11 update the monitors show as 'No Signal' and I am unable to get it connected. I have updated drivers, ensured Windows is up to date,...
  4. Icons suddenly moved from Main display to extended and will not revert back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons suddenly moved from Main display to extended and will not revert back: See subject: I have an extended display setup and want the icons on the main display not the extended screen. I put my icons on the 27" monitor vs. the laptop and want the search bar on the monitor as well as all controls and icons. On June 13th, this all changed.The change I...
  5. Icons suddenly moved from Main display to extended and will not revert back

Icons suddenly moved from Main display to extended and will not revert back: See subject: I have an extended display setup and want the icons on the main display not the extended screen. I put my icons on the 27" monitor vs. the laptop and want the search bar on the monitor as well as all controls and icons. On June 13th, this all changed.The change I...
  6. Icons suddenly moved from Main display to extended and will not revert back

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Extended displays

Extended displays: i have a problem with extended displays. I used to could have my remote account running on two monitors while also haveing my laptop remain in its regular mode with all apps available. What changed...
  8. display will not extend

display will not extend: have windows 10 pro and in display unable to detect 2nd monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-will-not-extend/38c36b23-37a0-458b-917c-f6d2e9de3121
  9. display will not extend

display will not extend: have windows 10 pro and in display unable to detect 2nd monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-will-not-extend/38c36b23-37a0-458b-917c-f6d2e9de3121
  10. Extended display

Extended display: I use Win10's extended display to watch movies etc played on pc (shown on tv) but problem is that if I use full screen program which uses lower resolution than on desktop or reboot computer (normal or bsod reboots) or disable and enable extended display then stuff on desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icons move to extended display windows 10

2. Wndows 10 icons moving displayport